Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

Pookie 09.15.2008 11:05 AM

v_a: Sums it up pretty well.

It was an entertaining enough 80 minutes.

I was disappointed at how much of a conventional monster film it was. All that made it different was the Blair Witch touch.

jimbrim: it's rare that Malcolm McDowell isn't fantastic.

mangajunky 09.15.2008 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbrim
Last night, I watched:

thought it was really great, Malcolm Macdowell was fantastic.

I've never seen this but really want to check it out.

Re: Miike. He is kinda tough to categorize. He has a lot of straightforward films that he does to pay the bills and then he definitely gets oddly gimmicky. I personally love Ichi the Killer. There are some interesting changes that Kakihara goes through. I think that most people miss the point that it's comedy. My favorite Miike film is still pretty easily The Great Yokai War:

!@#$%! 09.15.2008 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mangajunky
Re: Miike. He is kinda tough to categorize. He has a lot of straightforward films that he does to pay the bills and then he definitely gets oddly gimmicky. I personally love Ichi the Killer. There are some interesting changes that Kakihara goes through. I think that most people miss the point that it's comedy. My favorite Miike film is still pretty easily The Great Yokai War:

i actually like kakihara a lot as a character. it's that the other characters are not as interesing, and the middle of the movie is moving very slowly, and ichi himself gets on my balls ha ha. and then i don't understand 100% what is going on (watching in japanese w/ subtitles). in any case i'll finish watching & consider. another hour to go! :o

mil_pl 09.15.2008 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viewtiful_alan
Cloverfield was pretty much Blair witch in the big city...

yeah, but better :D

davenotdead 09.15.2008 11:57 AM

10/10

incredible film. cinematography is A+. it has wonder/magic in it and Ana Torrent is the best child actor (and most adorable kid) i've ever seen.

noisereductions 09.15.2008 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viewtiful_alan
Cloverfield was pretty much Blair witch in the big city...

I liked Clover, but prefer Blair.

jimbrim 09.15.2008 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mangajunky
I've never seen this but really want to check it out.

I highly recommend you do.

demonrail666 09.15.2008 07:35 PM

Pookie 09.16.2008 03:57 AM

Not a film, but I'm working my way through the three series of Black Books at the moment.

Rarely laugh-at-loud funny, but funny enough.

atsonicpark 09.16.2008 05:03 AM

8/10

atsonicpark 09.16.2008 05:05 AM

Also, regarding Miike, most of his films suck. I've seen every single one released in America and a few not released here. He has so many brilliant ideas in each film but most of his films are overlong and just a mess, overall (even though my personal favorite Miike film is one of his bigger messes actually). Even the films where he tries to cram in as many brilliant ideas as possible -- like Gozu -- aren't that great! I love Ichi the Killer, it's brilliant, and it's not nearly as violent or as crazy as most people make it sound... which is probably why I like it... the violence kind of comes out of nowhere. Great acting by Shinya Tsukamoto and Tadanobo Asano. Also, love how Ichi is brainwashed into associating violence with pleasure.

My Miike top 10:

1. Izo
2. Dead or Alive 2
3. Happiness of the Katakuris
4. Visitor Q
5. Deadly Outlaw Rekah
6. "Box" segment from 3... Extremes
7. Zebraman
8. Great Yokai War
9. Dead or Alive
10. Fudoh

jimbrim 09.16.2008 09:04 AM

!@#$%! 09.16.2008 10:24 AM

la régle du jeu - fucking awesome, i thoroughly enjoyed this.

davenotdead 09.16.2008 11:41 PM

8.5/10 very well done

Grete 09.17.2008 01:19 AM

very nice

!@#$%! 09.17.2008 02:29 AM

fun! not as fun as the movies, but eh, it's fucking cartoons!

atsonicpark 09.17.2008 05:46 AM

kikujiro - 7/10

Exactly what you'd expect of a takeshi kitano family film.

demonrail666 09.17.2008 05:48 AM

noisereductions 09.17.2008 07:20 AM

1. I love horror.
2. I hate Miike.

atsonicpark 09.17.2008 07:23 AM

You hate Miike eh? What does that have to do with horror anyway? Miike's not a horror director (despite having that shitty episode on Masters of Horror, which is just a terrible show period)... But I'm curious as to how many films you've seen by him then, considering he has somewhere in the range of 80 films.

I don't really like Audition or One Missed Call, and I find Gozu and Ichi the Killer decent. And most of his other films I can take or leave, but the 10 I listed above great.

But yeah, Izo is an amazing psychadelic samurai journey, the Dead or Alive series is a surreal yakuza epic with rocket launchers and robots, Happiness of the Katakuris is a family film with claymation and zombies and singing/dancing, etc. He's actually got a lot of great stuff. He just needs to be a better self-editor.