Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   louder's hip-hop café VII (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=116464)

Severian 10.01.2018 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove
White people can praise Trump without incident.

Black guy does it and it's armageddon.

I'm not comfortable with that and I'm sticking to it.

Ok, if it was as simple as that, yes.

But what white guys have supported Trump without catching hell? Seriously, who?

Tim Allen likened supporting Trump in Hollywood to being a Jew in Nazi Germany. (He’s an asshole, but...)

The reason Kanye’s catching hell is not because he’s black. I mean, sure that’s part of it, since Trump is so overtly anti-Black, but the main reason is that he’s an artist with a history of being liberal and outspoken about white oppression.

If Thurston Moore supported Trump, I’d flip a goddamn dick.
Wayne Coyne? Trent Reznor? Sufjan Stevens?

Even Taylor Swift won’t go near it because she knows it’s toxic. But if she did support Trump vocally, OH WHAT HELL WOULD RAIN DOWN.

I’m bot comfortable with the idea that “all black people have to/should be democrats” either, but NOT ALL BLACK PEOPLE ARE, SHOULD BE OR EVER HAVE BEEN. Ask fucking Ben Carson!

I appreciate you being the lone voice defending (ish?) Kanye instead of me for once, but come on dude. The problem is not that he’s black and supporting Trump, the problem is that he supports Trump and knows fuckall about why!

Roseanne... supports Trump... got killed off her own TV show.

Your argument doesn’t hold water.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 10.01.2018 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder

"And when I say being myself... that doesn't mean I'm being Donald Trump... it means, I'm being me... and I'm punk, and I can wear whatever I want 'cause I'm a god, and there's nothing that I can wear.... this t-shirt, this don't make me. This is the way I look at this time on this planet. Y'know, other times... maybe had a robe on. Next time, maybe it's like a full electrical suit, and we just have just our chakras here, and everything else is mechanical so we like running at like a thousand miles per milli-milli-milli whatever - whatever that is."

evollove 10.01.2018 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
But what white guys have supported Trump without catching hell? Seriously, who?

All of them.

Quote:

Roseanne... supports Trump... got killed off her own TV show.

No. The Valerie Jarrett tweet did that.

She did get shit from liberals for playing a pro-Trump character, and maybe for being a pro-Trump person irl, but that's not why she got fired.

And if you're saying that it's impossible to be a pro-Trump public figure without getting eviscerated, then I RESPECT KANYE EVEN MORE! Dude's got balls. Admit it.

Quote:

the problem is that he supports Trump and knows fuckall about why!

Oh. So you'd be cool with his politics if he wrote a lengthy, well-reasoned argument for the National Review? Doubt it.

Severian 10.01.2018 05:24 PM

Quote:

All of them.

Yeah, my local representative whose JOB IT IS TO BE A REPUBLICAN is a white Trump supporter and people have been protesting at his office since 2016.

Seriously... name a celebrity who has expressed support of Trump and not dealt with fallout. Name one. Any race will do.

Quote:

No. The Valerie Jarrett tweet did that.

She did get shit from liberals for playing a pro-Trump character, and maybe for being a pro-Trump person irl, but that's not why she got fired.

And if you're saying that it's impossible to be a pro-Trump public figure without getting eviscerated, then I RESPECT KANYE EVEN MORE! Dude's got balls. Admit it.

1. True
2. Ok
3. Balls aren’t necessarily good... if he was supporting Hitler in 1940 would that be edgy and ballsy and cool and deserving of your respect?

Quote:

Oh. So you'd be cool with his politics if he wrote a lengthy, well-reasoned argument for the National Review? Doubt it.

Wait, so you’re saying MY opinion of Kanye’s trump support is racially charged?
Me? The guy who vocally loves Kanye more than this board can sometimes handle? And who vocally opposes Trump? Me? You think it’s because Kanye’s black? For *me* now?

Fuck you, man. You don’t know shit. I throw fits about every Trump supporter I meet. He’s perfectly allowed to have his opinion, but it would be racist of me NOT to call him out on his Trump support just because he’s black.

He gets a “fuck you, you’re crazy, give me one sane reason why” just like everyone else.

So fuck you.

evollove 10.01.2018 05:36 PM

Hahaha. Triggered snowflake.

jk.

No, I don't think you're racist. Obviously. The fuck?

I think you're emotionally devastated that someone you (once) highly respected has a different opinion than you, and I think that even if the opinion had been well-articulated, you'd still be hurt.

Here's what's really going on:

Someone neither of us will meet said something neither of us agrees with, and because the entire incident has been blown totally out of proportion and because the incident has virtually no real-world consequences, I'm amused.

Also, didn't mention this, but I have been bombarded all day by my acquaintances who are 100% "liberal" and in tears because of this, and I feel safer expressing a contrary opinion here than elsewhere. Thanks for your indulgence.

Severian 10.01.2018 05:58 PM

Quote:

Hahaha. Triggered snowflake.

jk.

No, I don't think you're racist. Obviously. The fuck?

I think you're emotionally devastated that someone you (once) highly respected has a different opinion than you, and I think that even if the opinion had been well-articulated, you'd still be hurt.

Here's what's really going on:

Someone neither of us will meet said something neither of us agrees with, and because the entire incident has been blown totally out of proportion and because the incident has virtually no real-world consequences, I'm amused.

Also, didn't mention this, but I have been bombarded all day by my acquaintances who are 100% "liberal" and in tears because of this, and I feel safer expressing a contrary opinion here than elsewhere. Thanks for your indulgence.

Hey I’ve defended the guy... well, this forum is a living testament to my love for Kanye West, and that love has not abated, but I do think he’s wrong and I do think he’s acting like a child. I think he has a message in his head that makes perfect sense and he’s astonished that people can’t get it, so he keeps driving at it... and I think he’s uninformed and crazy.

Yes, some people will say he’s a race betrayer. Personally, I really would love to hear a concise and coherent reason for supporting Trump, and an explanation for accepting all the racist things Trump has done.
If he provided that, I’d go back to, “Well, I never liked him for his politics anyway.”

But I assure you, I’d shittalk the fuck out of any white person who supported Trump in equal if not greater measure.

(FUCK YOU, TIM ALLEN, YOU’VE N-E-V-E-R BEEN FUNNY, COCKSHIT!)

Severian 10.04.2018 08:46 AM

Carter V is fine and all, but I’m listening to Carter III right now, and that’s what I’ll continue to do if given the choice.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 10.11.2018 02:41 AM

Whats the general opinion here of Kodak Black?

Severian 10.11.2018 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
Whats the general opinion here of Kodak Black?

Worthless piece of trash.

Musically, better than some (like XXXshitatación) but still kind of a domestic abusing shithole.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 10.11.2018 09:39 AM

domestic abusing?

aww damn =/ i wasnt aware

Rob Instigator 10.11.2018 03:12 PM

Kodak Black is a middling rapper and a great wife beater.

Rob Instigator 10.11.2018 03:13 PM

Leonard Cohen posthumous poems have one called KANYE WEST IS NOT PICASSO

https://news.avclub.com/leonard-cohe...s-a-1829682971

Dr. Eugene Felikson 10.11.2018 03:41 PM

Honestly I dont know anything about his personal life but what I love most about him is his love songs so that shocking

evollove 10.12.2018 01:16 PM

Wu Tang Clan on Jimmy Kimmel next week. I'm embarrassed at how excited I am.

Severian 10.12.2018 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Leonard Cohen posthumous poems have one called KANYE WEST IS NOT PICASSO

https://news.avclub.com/leonard-cohe...s-a-1829682971

Dude, there are so many other true, awful, upsetting things about Kanye going on right now.

You and Leonard Cohen being stupidly wrong about his musical prowess is really not even going to register on the Kanye-is-a-Dumpster-Fire-O-Meter.

Rob Instigator 10.18.2018 07:30 AM

I did not say I agreed with poem, or even liked it. just sharing. and from what I have read, it was actually NOT a rip on Kanye poem, but more of a rip on people who demand shit from Kanye.

Severian 10.18.2018 07:39 AM

Quote:

I did not say I agreed with poem, or even liked it. just sharing. and from what I have read, it was actually NOT a rip on Kanye poem, but more of a rip on people who demand shit from Kanye.

K k be cool dog

Rob Instigator 10.19.2018 01:00 PM

Rob Instigator 10.19.2018 01:02 PM

Kanye has bought in fully to the Illuminati, letting them sacrifice his mom, making him go through several cycles of forced psychiatric "evaluation", having him marry into the biggest MKULTRA dernched family in the country....he will not last much longer...

Severian 10.19.2018 01:36 PM

Quote:

Kanye has bought in fully to the Illuminati, letting them sacrifice his mom, making him go through several cycles of forced psychiatric "evaluation", having him marry into the biggest MKULTRA dernched family in the country....he will not last much longer...

Watch your commas, dawg. And I’m not sure what MKULTRA has to do with the Kardashians, but yeah he’s in shit city right now.

Luckily his music will last forever, and his discography eats the bones of everyone else’s in the world. Mwahahahahahahaha

Rob Instigator 10.19.2018 02:04 PM

You shou;d read about what horrible ritual shit Papa Kardashian was into with OJ and Nicole Simpson and their crew in the 70's and 80's.....

Severian 10.19.2018 07:15 PM

Quote:

You shou;d read about what horrible ritual shit Papa Kardashian was into with OJ and Nicole Simpson and their crew in the 70's and 80's.....

K ... was it part of the CIA project known as MK Ultra though, or are you just saying things?

Also... what does it have to do with fucking shit?

louder 10.20.2018 06:35 AM

Quote:

letting them sacrifice his mom,

This is where I got lost.

Severian 10.20.2018 01:37 PM

Quote:

This is where I got lost.

Yeah, Rob’s lost it

Severian 10.20.2018 05:04 PM

Hey Louder, I take back all the lukewarm stuff I said about “Awaken my Love.” That’s a good record. I still prefer Gambino’s more rappy shit (Worldstar, This is America) but that’s a legit record.

Also Atlanta is one of the greatest shows ever and if you’re not watching it ima kill u

h8kurdt 10.22.2018 08:47 PM

Having an argument with a guy here who seriously says Eminem is the greatest rapper of all time. I'm gonna let him off cos he's 18 but my God. People actually believe this shit.

louder 10.24.2018 12:00 AM

Ghost, Rae and Meth remix of Teyana's "Gonna Love Me" (prod by Kanye): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAGyjgZVPVg

Amazing. They all sounded fresh

Rob Instigator 10.25.2018 08:23 AM

After living with it for a while now, ASTROWORLD is everything.....

Severian 10.25.2018 01:43 PM

Quote:

Yeah, I do like it.
I like it indeed.
It drags in moments, but overall it’s a thumper for sure.

I even like “SICKO MODE,” despite the Drake feature. It’s a really good song. I like “Skeletons” very much too.

Strangely not a big fan of “Stop Trying to be God.”

Trav’s appeal is definitely production-centric. I’ve never really been blown away by his delivery or lyrics or anything, but he seems to be finally figuring out who he is and what part of the hip-hop culture he wants to represent (the whole thing, which is wise). Whereas on previous albums he’s seemed a bit confused about who he is... on Rodeo, which I like, he was doing Yeezus-era Kanye stuff but sloppily and without a clear vision. On Birds in the Trap... he got hella trappy. And while that was a good album, it didn’t have a ton of re-listen value.

Oh and that thing with Quavo was super meh.

Anyway, Astroworld is his best album.

I wish he’d lose the dumbass looking dreads, though. He should fro that shit out. I would. He reminds me of the guitarist from KoRn with that dumbass hair.

Rob Instigator 10.25.2018 01:56 PM

I call that track, "Stop Trying to Be Outkast." and my wife gets upset. hahahhahahah

I like that he actually rhymes and shit, most rhymes are spot on, very little sloppy pseudo rhymes.

(BTW, black guys that have been told they are ugly all want to rock those dreads cuz it hides their face. it's a shame)

the Quavo verse is weeeeaaakkkk

I adore Stargazing, Can't Say, Houstonfornication, RIP DJ Screw, and Sicko Mode....

Rob Instigator 10.25.2018 01:57 PM

he used to tell you not to roll down the window....

now he says "I might need me some ventilation...."

hahahhahahaha

louder 10.27.2018 04:38 AM

Quote:

Real. I was surprised when y'all initial reaction to this album was cold..

Severian 10.27.2018 09:56 AM

Quote:

Real. I was surprised when y'all initial reaction to this album was cold..

At first I was just like, “what.”

Felt like a TON of build up for a very lazy, unexciting project. “Stargazing” just meanders along, and that was the first single!

Was supposed to be his big filmic masterpiece, but felt like “Oh, more stuff that vaguely sounds like a mashup of Outkast and Kanye if they were both on Thorazine and too tired to make any noise.”

Further listens revealed its strengths. “Pl-pl-playin’ for keeps!” Little hooks like that get stuck in my head and I want to hear them ahain and again.

But make no mistake, it’s still not god-tier rap music. It’s just successfully realized psychedelic trap that bumps. And the album does drag, and is overlong, and is inconsistent, but the good songs thump like crazy.

He’s still not at the level of Kanye or Kendrick or Frank Ocean (that’s the holy trinity, by the way) in terms of constructing grand kaleidoscopic artistic statements, but he’s getting there.

I went back and listened to Rodeo too. That album has heat as well. I like it much more than Birds of the Trap. Rodeo was underrated, and its sound was lit — if derivative.

Basically in the land of Migos, Travis *feels* like the king. But he’ll have to do a whole lot more to truly run the kingdom.

louder 10.28.2018 03:44 AM

Quote:

At first I was just like, “what.”

Felt like a TON of build up for a very lazy, unexciting project. “Stargazing” just meanders along, and that was the first single!

Was supposed to be his big filmic masterpiece, but felt like “Oh, more stuff that vaguely sounds like a mashup of Outkast and Kanye if they were both on Thorazine and too tired to make any noise.”

Further listens revealed its strengths. “Pl-pl-playin’ for keeps!” Little hooks like that get stuck in my head and I want to hear them ahain and again.

But make no mistake, it’s still not god-tier rap music. It’s just successfully realized psychedelic trap that bumps. And the album does drag, and is overlong, and is inconsistent, but the good songs thump like crazy.

He’s still not at the level of Kanye or Kendrick or Frank Ocean (that’s the holy trinity, by the way) in terms of constructing grand kaleidoscopic artistic statements, but he’s getting there.

I went back and listened to Rodeo too. That album has heat as well. I like it much more than Birds of the Trap. Rodeo was underrated, and its sound was lit — if derivative.

Basically in the land of Migos, Travis *feels* like the king. But he’ll have to do a whole lot more to truly run the kingdom.

I agree with you.. I don't think he has it in him to be at Kanye's/Frank's/Kendrick's level.. but he's definitely better than Migos, Drake and the likes. AstroWorld is much better than Birds.

Rob Instigator 10.30.2018 07:42 AM

stargazing is a two part surprise

louder 10.30.2018 04:59 PM

"My eyes are now wide open and now realize I’ve been used to spread messages I don’t believe in. I am distancing myself from politics and completely focusing on being creative !!!"

- Kanye

https://twitter.com/kanyewest/status...82916760707072

The end of an era?

Severian 10.30.2018 06:52 PM

Quote:

"My eyes are now wide open and now realize I’ve been used to spread messages I don’t believe in. I am distancing myself from politics and completely focusing on being creative !!!"

- Kanye

https://twitter.com/kanyewest/status...82916760707072

The end of an era?

Hopefully. Goddamn bout goddamn motherfucking time

Rob Instigator 10.31.2018 11:03 AM

Kanye was NOT talking about MAGA or Trump or his right wing idiot politics. he was strictly referring to being used as the fa e of the BLAXIT line of clothing, (calling for blacks to "exit" the democratic party.)

he is still sucking Trump's seeping asshole on the reg. he is still a fucking idiot asshole ingrate fuck.

Rob Instigator 10.31.2018 11:04 AM

BTW, why the violence? why? 34 year old rapper from NoLa, Young Greatness, shot and killed outside a Waffle House on Monday 2 AM. https://youtu.be/dAFiZFepEz8 RIP. too much killin.

louder 10.31.2018 06:20 PM

The Black Eyed Peas dropped a soulful/jazzy album with Tribe, Nas and Slick Rick features.

I'm fucking loving every moment of it.. no one is gonna care about them in 2018 sadly but this album is GOOD.