Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Let's Look at the Hipster's 100 Greatest Song's of the Year... (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=28589)

Everyneurotic 12.18.2008 12:52 PM

there's worse shit out there, chinese democracy and death magnetic come to mind.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 12.18.2008 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I think they're Coldplay for people with big kid britches and delay pedals instead of pianos.

I said something similar about Explosions in the Sky

atsonicpark 12.19.2008 01:29 AM

didja

Derek 12.19.2008 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I think they're Coldplay for people with big kid britches and delay pedals instead of pianos.

Hah wow, this statement was full of win.

And for reference, I'd rather listen to the new Metallica album than the new Deerhunter. The same can't be said for Chinese Democracy though... I remember reading a Guns N Roses thread on the Electrical Audio board and Steve Albini was replying with stuff like, "Seriously people, they suck! THEY FUCKING SUCK!"

atsonicpark 12.19.2008 07:14 AM

Yeah, Death Magnetic is 100x better than Weird Castle Micro Machines or whatever the fuck it's called.

SuperCreep 12.19.2008 12:46 PM

...and here's the hipsters' top fifty of the year:

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/articl...of-2008?page=1

Really surprised Deerhunter, TVotR, or Portishead didn't get #1. I thought the Fleet Foxes hype had already died off.

Derek 12.20.2008 07:33 AM

Yeah because obviously out of ALL the albums out in 2008, Fleet Foxes is #1.

Fuck that.

atsonicpark 12.20.2008 08:20 AM

In all likelihood, it probably wouldn't even be in my top 50 of the day it came out. (assuming I had time to listen to every album that came out the day it came out)

sarramkrop 12.20.2008 08:25 AM

Why do you not stop looking at the hipsters' lists and start being more hip yourselves?

atsonicpark 12.20.2008 08:42 AM

Personally, I didn't look. I just get my information about pitchfork from the members of this board. I'm too scared to go over to that page. I'm sure there's a few good albums on their list. I'm sure most of the albums are albums that don't interest me in the least, though.

The only webzines I care about are Perfect Sounds Forever, Blastitude, and Brainwashed.

Green Magnesium 12.20.2008 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Why do you not stop looking at the hipsters' lists and start being more hip yourselves?

Now that's a dumb question.
How can we be hip without looking at the hipsters' lists to tell us how to be hip?

Ugh, Marnie Stern... she sounds like Peaches and Hillary Duff all rolled into one.

And once again, no Drive-by Truckers.
Fucking cuntholes.

sarramkrop 12.20.2008 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green Magnesium
Now that's a dumb question.
How can we be hip without looking at the hipsters' lists to tell us how to be hip?

Ugh, Marnie Stern... she sounds like Peaches and Hillary Duff all rolled into one.

And once again, no Drive-by Truckers.
Fucking cuntholes.

I bet you don't even know what a hipster is, let alone becoming one.

Green Magnesium 12.20.2008 09:03 AM

I should have known you'd be onto me. The gays are good at sniffing each other out after all.

At least Pitchfork was smart enough to include Grouper on the list. Pretty album.

sarramkrop 12.20.2008 09:07 AM

How would I know you're gay to start with? And what's that meant to mean, anyway?

Green Magnesium 12.20.2008 09:34 AM

I'm just playin around silly.

Kylerobert 12.20.2008 01:00 PM

The new TV on the Radio was pretty good..

I also have a soft spot for marnie...I think it's her cuteness.

Yeah but that Fleet Foxes sucks the big one.

Decayed Rhapsody 12.20.2008 03:11 PM

One word: payola.

DeadDiscoDildo 12.20.2008 03:30 PM

I just heard of Fleet Foxes in the past few months and I don't know what to think. Well, besides that they are a boring rip off of Brian Wilson.

There's no energy to their stuff. That's what they forget about the artist they are trying to rip off. Brian mixed beautiful melody with energetic arrangements.

Let me have a take at ripping off brian wilson and see if I do a better job :-P

atsonicpark 12.20.2008 07:48 PM

Yeah, it's been mentioned repeatedly that pitchfork bases their lists, reviews, and coverage mostly on payola. I don't know why anyone trusts them...

sarramkrop 12.20.2008 08:15 PM

It's blatantly obvious that some of you would sell your own penises to be on their payola, innit? Why would you make such a fuss about them all the time, if that wasn't the case? hello atsonicpark/that other dude.