Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   New Bob Dylan single from new album (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=29991)

afterthefact 03.31.2009 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norma J
it's a bold statement, but: anybody who can't appreciate and acknowledge the greatness in Dylans music, lacks any artistic perception.

Well can't you say that you have to appreciate everything that is made by anybody then?

I mean, who makes the final say on whether something is artistic or not?

To say that somebody has to appreciate an artist or group that you like is biased and shortsighted. If you consider yourself a fan of music, then it's safe to say that there is also music that you don't like as well. And for all of the music that you don't like, there is somebody who probably really does like it, and could also say in it's defense that if you can't appreciate and acknowledge the greatness of it, you lack any artistic perception.

You were right; that was a bold statement. It was also a very stupid one.

Norma J 03.31.2009 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afterthefact
Well can't you say that you have to appreciate everything that is made by anybody then?

I mean, who makes the final say on whether something is artistic or not?

To say that somebody has to appreciate an artist or group that you like is biased and shortsighted. If you consider yourself a fan of music, then it's safe to say that there is also music that you don't like as well. And for all of the music that you don't like, there is somebody who probably really does like it, and could also say in it's defense that if you can't appreciate and acknowledge the greatness of it, you lack any artistic perception.

You were right; that was a bold statement. It was also a very stupid one.

No. because a lot of people aren't talented :D
Not many can write like Dylan did.

it's not shortsighted. I'm saying you can appreciated without having to like something. that's the opposite to short sighted.

and don't get your panties in a bunch. its only a statement.

afterthefact 03.31.2009 03:57 PM

I'm not wearing any.

pbradley 03.31.2009 04:20 PM

Quote:

So you can't separate opinion from personal taste?

just because you don't like something, doesn't make it bad. and vise versa.

To not appreciate Dylan would be like not appreciating Dali's talent just because you don't like surrealist art. etc.

I can, I just refuse to.

How is not appreciating someone's art the same as considering them bad? I would say in difference is a better association.

I have said before, I don't believe there is any reason to appreciate any art. Tell me, why should a person "appreciate and acknowledge Bob Dylan's greatness"?

vulva 03.31.2009 04:24 PM

Quote:

it's a bold statement, but: anybody who can't appreciate and acknowledge the greatness in Dylans music, lacks any artistic perception.

Possibly the worst thing I've ever seen written on this forum.

Norma J 03.31.2009 07:59 PM

perhaps, Vulva, you take things too serious.

Quote:

I have said before, I don't believe there is any reason to appreciate any art. Tell me, why should a person "appreciate and acknowledge Bob Dylan's greatness"?

You don't see the point in appreciating any art? do you take this outlook into the rest of your life?

pbradley 03.31.2009 08:05 PM

"reason" is different than "point" in the case I used it

It was italicized for a reason.

vulva 03.31.2009 08:07 PM

Even still, I don't see the excitement behind a man who writes overly flowery poetic imagery that's just self indulgent bullshit that any graduate of grade 11 English with a thesaurus and a newspaper could match.

vulva 03.31.2009 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbradley

what was the point of said italicizing? =p

Norma J 03.31.2009 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vulva
Even still, I don't see the excitement behind a man who writes overly flowery poetic imagery that's just self indulgent bullshit that any graduate of grade 11 English with a thesaurus and a newspaper could match.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vulva
Possibly the worst thing I've ever seen written on this forum.

You've now taken lead.

pbradley 03.31.2009 08:17 PM

The point of music is not rational.

Norma J 03.31.2009 08:19 PM

Quote:

do you see any reason for getting up in the morning? or for baking your beans? or for reading a novel?

maybe some can appreciate things they don't have a vested interest in - maybe others can't. there's probably names for both.

vulva 03.31.2009 08:21 PM

I don't see the appeal to a decent folk musician turned tedious rock musician. If you dig him, that's cool and all, but your fanboyism here isn't really putting up a compelling argument of him really having done anything of substance in many many years.

pbradley 03.31.2009 08:23 PM

Quote:

do you see any reason for getting up in the morning? or for baking your beans? or for reading a novel?

maybe some can appreciate things they don't have a vested interest in - maybe others can't. there's probably names for both.

Do you have some kind of sick desperation in your life? A lack of meaning that you need to fill by demanding that others to respect your favorite musicians against their will? Do you want to work on the board of the Rock 'N Roll Hall of Fame?

Norma J 03.31.2009 08:29 PM

now it seems you're both just getting angry.

I didn't say you need to do anything, nor do I care if you do or not like Dylan. I just think you obviously miss the point somewhere along the line... I'll let you figure out where.

vulva 03.31.2009 08:32 PM

Far from angry. Like I said, I just don't see the appeal to a painfully generic musician who writes like grade 11 English student who feels that using technical language is a substitute for poor writing skills.

pbradley 03.31.2009 08:36 PM

Quote:

I didn't say you need to do anything

Except appreciate whatever you critically acclaim.

It is pretty funny that you suggested that I might be a nihilist because I argued otherwise.

Bob Dylan is your hero and any doubt of his value puts you on the defensive since you take it personally.

Norma J 03.31.2009 09:10 PM

Quote:

Except appreciate whatever you critically acclaim.

It is pretty funny that you suggested that I might be a nihilist because I argued otherwise.

Bob Dylan is your hero and any doubt of his value puts you on the defensive since you take it personally.

this whole time, I haven't even said I like Dylan. and you claim he's my hero? such brash statements lead me to believe you're taking this all too personal.

I may not even like the man, yet I could appreciate his talent. which is my point. :rolleyes:

[/brickwall-conversation]

afterthefact 04.03.2009 08:29 AM

vulva 04.03.2009 12:54 PM

cats suck almost as much as Bob Dylan sucks