Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Unpopular Opinions (Non-Music Related) (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=32455)

atsonicpark 06.28.2009 12:02 AM

no, american dad is.

and the cleveland show will be worse.

But Family Guy has went way downhill.

I just generally don't like humor that I would consider "soon-to-be-dated". You know, very... in-the-now. Very pop-culture-referential. I think good humor is timeless. I don't mind references to shit.. you know.. if you're going to reference Hitler or Abraham Lincoln and make it funny, that's cool, I mean everyone's going to know who those people are even in 100 years. But I mean, Survivor and American Idol references and shit? No one's going to have any fucking idea what that shit was in 50 years from now.

People simply look at the humor of Family Guy and its brethren and go, "OH MAN! SKELETOR! BREAKING THROUGH A WINDOW! YELLING 'SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!' I KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS! IT'S LIKE THE HE-MAN GUY! AND JERRY MAGUIRE! LOL!" Just fucking boring and dull and takes no talent whatsoever to construct. Fuck it.

Rob Instigator 06.28.2009 12:03 AM

and they are still making jokes about 20 year old shit

ZEROpumpkins 06.28.2009 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Here's an opinion, I dunno if it's unpopular but I wanted to share it: The youtube from 3 years ago (without restrictions on music, without restrictions on length, when they were very lax about posting movies and shit.. and without the retards on it) was the all-time greatest website ever invented. Now? Not so much.

I watched the entire first season of Fresh Prince on YouTube back in the day...

tw2113 06.28.2009 12:13 AM

i agree with a lot in this thread.

pbradley 06.28.2009 12:28 AM

Cold chicken hotdogs is the taste of depression.

joe11121 06.28.2009 12:49 AM

Quote:

Here's an opinion, I dunno if it's unpopular but I wanted to share it: The youtube from 3 years ago (without restrictions on music, without restrictions on length, when they were very lax about posting movies and shit.. and without the retards on it) was the all-time greatest website ever invented. Now? Not so much.

Agreed

automatic bzooty 06.28.2009 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbradley
Schooling in the United States of America has served to train professions instead of educating individuals since the Cold War.

i dunno, man...

having gone through approx. thirteen years of (standard, american) school, i can rightly say that i am still totally unqualified and un-hire-able in any profession, anywhere. GOD BLESS THE AMERICAN EDUCATION SYSTEM.

pbradley 06.28.2009 01:35 AM

I said nothing about it being good at it.

fugazifan 06.28.2009 01:37 AM

whatever you guts said is the reason that i went to college to study what i want. and my degree will qualify me for NOTHING (musicology, with a minor in lit), and let me tell you i couldnt be happier. and the degree that im planning on doing my masters in, will qualify me for even less- ethnomusicology. so yeah, going to collge to get a job is lame. going to collge to learn cool shit = excellent!

Rob Instigator 06.28.2009 01:49 AM

attaboy

davenotdead 06.28.2009 01:53 AM

college is such a game. the education system a farce. pay them to get a piece of paper that says you are qualified to do shit

Rob Instigator 06.28.2009 02:00 AM

don't you want your architect or doctor or accountant to be certified by something?

Silent Dan Speaks 06.28.2009 02:05 AM

I agree with Donnie Darko being a lame movie.

Also, college is pretty bullshit and that's coming from someone who's about to be a junior. I got to a pretty good school and there are still tons of dumbasses there, which makes me feel like it's all pretty meaningless. Of course, I am an English major, which is pretty worthless, but that's beside the point. At this point you're not respected for having a college degree, you're just disrespected for not having one. Some of my best and smartest friends didn't go to college and as far as I'm concerned they're better for it. College seems to turn a lot of people into complete douchebags, but that's for another day.

This is also probably my longest post on this board. It's time for bed now.

demonrail666 06.28.2009 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fugazifan
whatever you guts said is the reason that i went to college to study what i want. and my degree will qualify me for NOTHING (musicology, with a minor in lit), and let me tell you i couldnt be happier. and the degree that im planning on doing my masters in, will qualify me for even less- ethnomusicology. so yeah, going to collge to get a job is lame. going to collge to learn cool shit = excellent!

is the best/only attitude to take regarding higher education.

Quote:

My girlfriend goes to art school, and so I have met and talked to and been around plenty of "art school" people and I gotta say... none of them are particularly interesting and none of them DEFINITELY are what I would consider "artistic". Some are "talented" at crafting homages to other famous artists but none have their own voice. It's made me question the point of art school in general.

Oi You! Shut it!

verme (prevaricator) 06.28.2009 06:37 AM

mars (the planet) sucks.

Glice 06.28.2009 07:00 AM

Fuck yeah! Go Neptune!

Trasher02 06.28.2009 07:17 AM

Die hard 4.0 was an excellent movie.

deadrockstar 06.28.2009 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
don't you want your architect or doctor or accountant to be certified by something?

Yeah, but do you really need an art college degree to flip burgers? I thought the cowlick and inability of personal expression was enough qualification.

pbradley 06.28.2009 11:02 AM

American Democracy's history of ruling from the center of the political spectrum is its greatest advantage.

Complete transparency for an administration is to render it toothless.

viewtiful_alan 06.28.2009 03:15 PM

Dragon Ball Z is fun as hell to watch.