Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Rangda (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=39163)

Derek 05.22.2010 07:08 PM

This isn't even as good as the worst Sir Richard Bishop or Six Organs release.

andrei 05.23.2010 07:23 AM

not quite what i expected either, but not a bad record.
i heard they will release a live album after the tour. looking forward to that.

loubarret 05.23.2010 07:25 AM

It's what I kinda expected. It's a fine album, not really that good but it is very decent.

EvdWee 05.24.2010 11:43 AM

you can listen the album here.

TheMadcapLaughs 05.24.2010 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvdWee

ah thanks!

scott v 05.25.2010 01:27 PM

actually its not far from what i'd expect from these three knowing what they've been doing as of recently... its good, for a new group of these well established individuals like this. agreed though not great on first listen, i've liked what these guys have done in other capacities better but this is promising of what the future has in store if they stay at it.

atsonicpark 05.25.2010 01:44 PM

I think the album just suffers from being a bit predictable and repetetive. It works on the once upon a time in the west theme.. er bull lore.. but.. eh. The improvised songs just make me reach for my 100 sun city girls albums that have that type of stuff but better. Sad. This is seriously the first bishop related release I'm not excited about.

But I do truly think their next release, if there is one, will be incredible. From everything I've read, this album was done in one day, having only played together the night before, and then coming up with 3 songs, and improvising 3 songs, the next day, for the album -- if that's true, it really is actually quite remarkable, but more as a sign of things to come.

Stay glued to your tv sets...

Toilet & Bowels 05.28.2010 04:15 AM

Not that good live. They need to work out what they're trying to do, the high level of musicianship was just about compensating for the lack of developed chemistry.

auto-aim 06.11.2010 01:44 PM

Yeah - i was a tad let down with them when i saw them. Though, they did some good shit also - they're in no ways a bad band. but yeah there's something slightly underwhelming about them. I think they were best when they were either being more noisey or riffy cock-rock... as a way of describing it. I was tempted to talk to some of the band afterwards. I didn't though as i hate doing that - you just go I like your bands and they go thanks.

this is a topic of discussion I have with other band people - because I do quite like it, if you think it genuine or not, when you get gratified in that way and someone comes up to you and tells you that you done good. When I'm on the other end I usually feel like a twat and imposing so rarely bother. I mean, there's nothing really to say is there?

pokkeherrie 06.12.2010 05:27 AM

I wasn't too impressed by seeing them live either, but they had their moments.
I think they pretty much played the album in order; wasn't expecting that.

EvdWee 06.12.2010 08:58 AM

did you see them in Utrecht?

i really liked the last 'song'..

ilduclo 06.12.2010 06:27 PM

too bad, I heard many supergroups that were less than sums of their parts. might be the case here. they may be "waiting for the other guy to do something" hanging fire......whatever, too bad!

pokkeherrie 06.14.2010 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvdWee
did you see them in Utrecht?

i really liked the last 'song'..

yeah, in ekko.
the last song was one of their best moments, i agree.

stu666 06.17.2010 04:31 PM

up on dime now

Rangda (Ben Chasny + Richard Bishop + Chris Corsano) - June 9 2010, Geneva, Switzerland AUD by yangen

radarmaker 06.17.2010 05:18 PM

I thought they were pretty shit hot live. Everyone I went with hated it though.

Genteel Death 12.07.2010 08:31 PM

I'm giving up on them. Three talented guys for sure, but a snorefest when they play together. Tonight they also gave me the impression that Richard Bishop calls the shots in this band. Or perhaps Corsano and Chasny are being too polite towards his rock jamming fantasies.

atsonicpark 12.08.2010 01:45 AM

Yeah, this is the only Bishop-related album I am not into in the least. Shrug.

stu666 02.01.2012 05:29 AM

(from facebook)

Sir Richard Bishop

RANGDA (Chasny, Corsano, Bishop) will be playing a handful of east coast shows in late Feb before recording a new record. Details will be announced soon.

A Thousand Threads 10.04.2012 04:27 AM

Here's stream for the new one:
http://3voor12.vpro.nl/luisterpaal/albums/Rangda.html
I like it better than the first one, but again it's not really what i was hoping for.