Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Boomer generation let us all down (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=8979)

Glice 12.15.2006 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
man, when you were younger it was probably the 80s and the protest fit the times. but in 2007? i suspect you're trying to play a darwinian experiment in this unsuspecting fool, you evil mastermind... putting natural selection in fast forward & all... :D

I was still the other side of puberty (by quite a few years) by the time the 80s had hung up its perming rods and pogo sticks. I was in the generation that wasn't meant to be protesting.

You're right though, I'm going to see if I can make him my evil protogé.

gmku 12.15.2006 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by compulsive diarrhea, jico
web-hippies?

go burn some incense or something.

Yeah, I'll get back to you. I need to go get a haircut and have my suit tailored, then pick up my Hummer from the shop.

gmku 12.15.2006 10:47 AM

Actually, I'm not really a boomer. I'm more of 70s me-generationer. I was born on the tail end of boomer-dom, sort of; too young to burn my draft card, too young to travel to Woodstock, but old enough to remember Manson, the Tate murders, Altamont, all fascinating stuff I read about in the town newspaper I was delivering on my red Schwin. I was much more interested in the latest Marvel comics than political causes until I was around 17 or 18, and hippies were people in far off places like the state's university campuses, and all my friends and I made fun of them while secretly wishing we had the balls to stand up to our parents and tell them we weren't getting haircuts anymore.

Think Wonder Years. I was that kid.

gmku 12.15.2006 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swa(y)
more like "marvel"-ing over homo-erotic magazines.

Er, right, sure.

CREEP!

against_the_grain 12.15.2006 07:56 PM

I'm a boomer and still retain many of my ideologies. I've never had a career, never owned a house, have NO social security, no pensions, NO savings (hardly), few possessions (computer, clothes, stereo, tons of cds) and a car. I'm gypsy, not interested in 'joining' the system...I don't like it.

However,

that's not to say I wouldn't like more money, more possessions, security..a home or two like in Hawaii, the west coast, the Rocky Mountains, New England. But I don't. In a way I've screwed myself..no retirement, hell I don't even get those yearly Social Security statements showing earnings and benefits etc.

I have long hair....flip my finger at 'compromised' society and hate delving into reality.....that is, getting anything done 'offically'. Since i've been off the grid so long and traveled so extensively, I get the "What are you running from" dealy...instead of the "Wow...look at you, aren't you the traveling fiend !!"....

Just can't help being the odd cog in the machine, it's my nature. But yeah, I do have guilt and regrets. It's hard to be pure, impossible actually, but I do stay away from regular trappings as much as possible. But there are consequences. :(

I just wanna live without the hassles.....my parents always said, "You must've gotten mixed up in the maternity ward, you sure don't act like anyone in our family"......

Don't think that hasn't had a phychological affect on me all my life ?....mmmmm...

Cantankerous 12.15.2006 07:57 PM

generation X felt the repurcussions of the baby boomers, but since they're a bunch of apathetic lazy fucks didn't do shit about it. now my generation is paying for all your shit, you fuckers.

against_the_grain 12.15.2006 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantankerous
generation X felt the repurcussions of the baby boomers, but since they're a bunch of apathetic lazy fucks didn't do shit about it. now my generation is paying for all your shit, you fuckers.

:( :confused: :(

Cantankerous 12.15.2006 08:01 PM

quote:
the baby boomers got sex, drugs, and rock n roll. we [generation x] got AIDS, neoconservatism, and new wave.

guess what we got?

gmku 12.15.2006 08:03 PM

Difference is, boomers didn't whine about it. They acted. They stood up to the man and said not only no, but hell no!

All my generation ever did was go to the disco and buy Frampton live albums.

SynthethicalY 12.15.2006 08:09 PM

Quote:

quote:
the baby boomers got sex, drugs, and rock n roll. we [generation x] got AIDS, neoconservatism, and new wave.

guess what we got?

Emo.

gmku 12.15.2006 08:10 PM

Boomers may have had rock and roll, but gen x got more interesting bands.

Cantankerous 12.15.2006 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SynthethicalY
Emo.

i have an opinion, so suddenly i'm emo?

sorry, guess i'll retreat back into my lair and slash my wrists. certainly it would be more interesting than trying to carry on a conversation with you.

cryptowonderdruginvogue 12.15.2006 08:20 PM

no no, im pretty sure he meant that "we got emo"

not that you are emo.

Savage Clone 12.15.2006 08:21 PM

As far as I can tell, the most offensive thing the baby boomer generation has been responsible for is the absolute domination of classic-rock radio stations that are generally the highest-rated stations even though they play the same 40 songs ad nauseum.

Savage Clone 12.15.2006 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmku
Difference is, boomers didn't whine about it. They acted. They stood up to the man and said not only no, but hell no!

Yeah, but what you neglect to mention is the fact that the only reason this "youth movement" accomplished anything was the sheer size of the demographic. They were pretty impossible to ignore. They still are. Generation X was apathetic, sure, but even those that weren't were most surely aware that the tiny size of their population meant certain failure in the face of an entrenched system (run, coincidentally, by a lotta boomers).

Cantankerous 12.15.2006 09:24 PM

generation X didn't do shit except for sit on their asses and complain. thanks, mom and dad. thanks a fuckin' lot.

Savage Clone 12.15.2006 10:12 PM

Yeah, my face sure will be red when you save the world.

Cantankerous 12.15.2006 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Yeah, my face sure will be red when you save the world.

i apologize for my hypocrisy. think of it as endearing. or fuck off.

SynthethicalY 12.15.2006 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cryptowonderdruginvogue
no no, im pretty sure he meant that "we got emo"

not that you are emo.

That's what i meant.

Glice 12.16.2006 11:07 AM

Quote:

generation X didn't do shit except for sit on their asses and complain. thanks, mom and dad. thanks a fuckin' lot.

Brilliant. I feel old now. For fuck's sake people, STOP BEING YOUNGER. And if you are going to insist on being younger STOP BEING SEXY.