Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Bands that are quite clearly sh*t, but people (usually young people) seem to like. (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=18979)

Rob Instigator 01.17.2008 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flophousefloozie
I know PJ Harvey isn't a band, but...

Oh God, I'm going to be shot.

LittlePuppetBoy 01.17.2008 01:56 PM

Feist
Linkin Park (my older brother (22) is into them, and can't seem to understand why I don't like them)
Dragonforce
LCD Soundsystem

andrei 01.17.2008 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Appetite for Destruction is one of the best songs ever made.

i don't think Appetit For Destruction is a song, but the name of the album... (i listened to that album a lot... it was one of my first cassettes i've bought... now i think it's shit)

Torn Curtain 01.17.2008 02:06 PM

Feist is OK in my opinion.

Regarding The National I find them a bit boring, but still I wouldn't say they're bad.

nicfit 01.17.2008 02:48 PM

I still like "Don't Damn Me".

the ikara cult 01.17.2008 02:52 PM

I find pride in the fact i dont know who alot of these "young" bands are.

atsonicpark 01.17.2008 03:11 PM

Sorry, I meant "Welcome to the Jungle" from Appetite for Destruction is one of the greatest songs ever.

And.. KoRn... completely original when they appeared. Totally alien and awesome guitar sounds, like a metal Helios Creed. Inventive bass and AMAZING drumming. The first two albums are great.. listen to the songs "predictable" and "good god"...

Rob Instigator 01.17.2008 03:13 PM

How and in what way can you say with a straight face that Korn was "completely original when they appeared. Totally alien and awesome guitar sounds, like a metal Helios Creed."

really? REALLY?

the ikara cult 01.17.2008 03:29 PM

Quote:

Sorry, I meant "Welcome to the Jungle" from Appetite for Destruction is one of the greatest songs ever.

And.. KoRn... completely original when they appeared. Totally alien and awesome guitar sounds, like a metal Helios Creed. Inventive bass and AMAZING drumming. The first two albums are great.. listen to the songs "predictable" and "good god"...

I agree 100%, even with the Korn bit *aaaaah!*
Appitite for Destruction has colossal bollocks, as does Korns first album even though they have been gutless ever since.
Its odd how i hate heavy metal in general yet i love GnR and Motorhead and the first Korn album.
Also, Deftones were fantastic rock music too

atsonicpark 01.17.2008 03:39 PM

Rob, whenever I talk about something, I've listened to it. You know? I've listened to KoRn EXTENSIVELY, and I've listened to Helios extensively (solo and with Chrome)... I feel pretty justified making the statement I made. They're not near as inventive, but they did use completely alien and amazing guitar sounds.

So, really, why wouldn't I say it with a straight face? It's not some radical statement. If you don't believe me, dig up the first two KoRn records. Completely bizarre. Good stuff. My friend Lyrch is an AMAZING guitar player, he can play everything he hears by ear, he can play any Hendrix song or whatever, etc etc etc... and he also thinks KoRn were radical and amazing when they first started. So, I'm not alone in this sentiment. Not that it would matter if I were.

I'm just saying: I know what I'm talking about. I don't care if you disagree with KoRn being a good or bad band -- certainly, the first album is fucking GREAT, but... -- if you actually sit down and listen to them, they were pretty fucking cool guitar players.

atsonicpark 01.17.2008 03:39 PM

And yeah, Deftones are easily one of the most consistently great bands ever.

batreleaser 01.17.2008 03:43 PM

haha, this is kinda funny, i consider you with to be the dude with the most interesing taste in music on this board, and the fact that you dig on korn and deftones and slipknot just adds to that notion. anyways, i really cant think anything about korn, but yes slipknot was ok and deftones white pony was good, i actually really like that song with the singer from tool.

Crumb's Crunchy Delights 01.17.2008 03:46 PM

Deftones
Korn

Rob Instigator 01.17.2008 03:48 PM

understood

Inhuman 01.17.2008 03:49 PM

From First to my chemical atreyufold

jakeonguitar 01.17.2008 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norma J
Yes. He sucks. Although, he's not the singer for that shitty band - He's the singer for another shitty band. I think that shitty band's just the shitty band he wants to be in. From shit to shit.

Haha.

Jared Leto (Shit) x Dude with white hair (Shit) = Shit^2.

Rob Instigator 01.17.2008 04:03 PM

korn sucks ass. they sound like boring NIN mixed with boring ass metal. "Something takes a part of me.
You and I were meant to be.
A cheap fuck for me to lay
Something takes a part of me.
Feeling like a freak on a leash. (You wanna see the light)
Feeling like I have no release. (So do I)
How many times have I felt diseased? (You wanna see the light)
Nothing in my life is free... is free
"
sorry. I hate them. It is like the scrawled angst of a twelve year old loser.
I hate the deftones too, and that fucker's stupid goatee. Their music bores me to tears. Like an "aternative queensryche."
I don't think anything Korn ever did is radical or amazing, but then again after 13 years of metal music I got pretty burned out man.

now, when anthrax and public enemy did Bring The Noise, THAT was radical and amazing. (at the time of course).

the ikara cult 01.17.2008 04:07 PM

Quote:

My friend Lyrch is an AMAZING guitar player, he can play everything he hears by ear, he can play any Hendrix song or whatever, etc etc etc... and he also thinks KoRn were radical and amazing when they first started. So, I'm not alone in this sentiment. Not that it would matter if I were.

It dont, but ive gone back on many an opinion thanks to fashion abandoning certain groups (Korn, Deftones NOFX and Slipknot in particular). Nu metal had its moments, but i will always hate Linkin Park.

Edit: Im not saying you have, i mean my own personal experience

atsonicpark 01.17.2008 04:21 PM

Hmm. Lots to say.

Um.. Rob, that's cool, I don't mind if you don't like them, but really, I still recognize them as a pretty important band. And I enjoy their first two albums.

batreleaser, thanks, I guess I have an interesting taste. I dunno. I just try to find the good in everything. I really fucking love Static-X's first album.

Ikara, I really enjoy a few "numetal" bands. AMEN, System of a Down's first couple of albums, uhm, Chevelle's first album.. I dunno. Lots of good stuff. My thoughts about SlipKnot was that their self-titled album was COMPLETELY individual, it was noisey as fuck in places and almost.. orchestral.. in other places. Like, they had symphonies of noise. Good shit.

I've always hated NOFX though. They had some cool punk type songs like "Linoleum" but I always thought Screeching Weasel were about a million times better....

Rob Instigator 01.17.2008 04:24 PM

hey atsonic, i think it is about time and place. music is ephemeral that way.

I love the Police , but I can see how people would hate them.

it is all personal taste anyways.

Korn can outrock limp bisquick or lincoln parks anyday

and slipknot did it right.

atsonicpark 01.17.2008 04:28 PM

I don't hate the police, I just never got into them. Never really sat down and rocked out. I don't like pictures of Sting reading Jung, shirtless. They had some cool guitar lines, regardless.

Rob Instigator 01.17.2008 04:46 PM

fucking sting. I hate sting.

Glice 01.17.2008 06:29 PM

I think contributing to this thread only contributes to the general air (that word again) and sanctimonious wankery which makes this forum such a load of cunt.

Having said that, I'm still perpetuating the nonsense. But then I'm happy.

People listen to things. I generally think you lot listen to shit, but I'm sure the regulars are aware of that.

It's nice to see Mr A. S. Park defending Korn. They were alright, and VERY important within an (admittedly narrow) context. Kids listen to what they listen to, innit? We weren't all born with amazing taste, and the majority of people fight against the trajectory of decent music. This doesn't include myself. What a prick, eh?

ZEROpumpkins 01.17.2008 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batreleaser

pretty much all of these fake mainstream boring genric "indie" bands. indie rock died when pavement broke up and modest mouse made us puke with "float on".

Пятхъдесят Шест 01.17.2008 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flophousefloozie
Second that!
They came from my hometown, so I should support them, but... WOW. Awful.

Sounds like Cowtown, Canada suffers from the Omaha syndrome, spread via Bright Eyes.

Cantankerous 01.17.2008 11:29 PM

uhhhh lets see
klaxons
most "indie" bands formed within the last 10 years that have enjoyed any success and plenty who have not

Torn Curtain 01.18.2008 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantankerous
uhhhh lets see
klaxons

Have you listened to the record ? I think it's good actually.

sarramkrop 01.18.2008 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crumb's Crunchy Delights
I'll start with:
Bon Jovi
Duran Duran

Stupid thread, stupid question. You obviously don't even know any kids, and if you do, they wouldn't want to be friends with an old bitter fart like you. Bon Jovi? Duran Duran? When was the last time that you got out of your house and talked to some living and breathing kids? The 80's were over a long time ago, you know? There are indeed young people who listen to Bon Jovi or Duran Duran, sure, but I doubt that they are priority bands for the majority of them, when it comes to listening habits. And even if they were, what's bothering you so much about that? Did you miss your chance for some underage sex or something?

Crumb's Crunchy Delights 01.18.2008 05:31 AM

The Smiths

ZEROpumpkins 01.18.2008 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Stupid thread, stupid question. You obviously don't even know any kids, and if you do, they wouldn't want to be friends with an old bitter fart like you. Bon Jovi? Duran Duran? When was the last time that you got out of your house and talked to some living and breathing kids? The 80's were over a long time ago, you know? There are indeed young people who listen to Bon Jovi or Duran Duran, sure, but I doubt that they are priority bands for the majority of them, when it comes to listening habits. And even if they were, what's bothering you so much about that? Did you miss your chance for some underage sex or something?

Glad i'm not the only to think that Crumb's Crunchy Delights is a dick.

Crumb's Crunchy Delights 01.18.2008 05:40 AM

Kiss

Crumb's Crunchy Delights 01.18.2008 05:47 AM

Arcade Fire

Crumb's Crunchy Delights 01.18.2008 05:58 AM

Jesus and Mary Chain

Death & the Maiden 01.18.2008 05:58 AM

Quote:

The Smiths

The Smiths are one of my favourite bands. And no one I know listens to them, or actually knows who they are. And if they did, Morrissey would scare them away, because they would think he was gay.

atsonicpark 01.18.2008 06:32 AM

I said something that Happy Birthday didn't agree with about 50 threads ago, so he tries to attack me by mentioning my band on a thread when he probably hasn't heard them before. Pretty funny stuff.

Anyway, "Float On" is a pretty cool song, but I think Modest Mouse has always kinda sucked. Too much barking.

ZEROpumpkins 01.18.2008 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Birthday
scissor shite

[EDIT: Scissor Shock]

Fuck off.

atsonicpark 01.18.2008 06:48 AM

Zero is a good man.

Onani Nic 01.18.2008 07:00 AM

Quote:

Kiss

I think Kiss 1974-77 is amazing. Maybe I have a pencil in my brain?

Happy Birthday 01.18.2008 07:54 AM

Quote:

I said something that Happy Birthday didn't agree with about 50 threads ago, so he tries to attack me by mentioning my band on a thread when he probably hasn't heard them before. Pretty funny stuff.

Anyway, "Float On" is a pretty cool song, but I think Modest Mouse has always kinda sucked. Too much barking.

But I was only doing what you usually do - posting "Scissor Shock" whenever a list of bands is required.

By the way, I think zeropumpkins loves you.

PAULYBEE2656 01.18.2008 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afterthefact
Oh god, my wife has a friend who LOVES Keane. It's even on her license plate. I can't stand that band.

what, people outside ireland and uk have even heard of them??? wow, im so sorry!!!!!