Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   louder's hip-hop café VI (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=114330)

Severian 09.14.2017 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder
So y'all are really going to skip one of the best projects of the year?

https://soundcloud.com/cosmopyke/sets/just-cosmo

Hey man, you're the one who's never checking in any more. Freakin' Rob had a HURRICANE to contend with and he still posted. So... :fuckyou:

Lol.

evollove 09.14.2017 11:03 AM

Who are some female rappers as dope as Sno the Product?

Severian 09.14.2017 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Could be. Could be. I think his influence will last far longer, just like lil wayne and his influence helped create young thug and the like....

Good chance of that, I suppose. Fair enough. Thing about Thug is he tries things. He does crazy shit and doesn't give a fuck, and that's cool. I saw a meme video of him rapping, with a caption like "Rappers don't even rap about anything anymore." And, y'know, admittedly the song was about god knows what... pussy, certain kinds of food, happenstance, nonsensical rhymes... but at least it's weird.

I don't personally like him, but I can appreciate that. And I didn't like Wayne for a long time either, until Carter 2 and 3 really, but eventually I saw what people were seeing (just in time for it to disappear forever, apparently).

I just see the trajectory of his career, and in 2015 he was, like, the second coming. In 2016 he had a bunch of mixtapes that faired only sort of well, and an "album" (J3FF3RY) that a lot of critics and fans thought was peak Thug. Then 2017 rolled around, and he dropped a "singing album," and made headlines for like a day... possibly because making a "singing album" has been an uber cliché since the only "singing album" worth listening to came out 9 years ago (you know what I'm talking about.) So, maybe the fact that he was doing something so average it's almost a pre-requirement for next level rap stardom was a turn off, or maybe it just wasn't that good. But I feel the heat around Young Thug dying down significantly.

I wonder who will be the next Wayne/Thug type, to be simultaneously stupid and smart, and to challenge perceptions of street rap.

Severian 09.14.2017 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove

Kamaiyah is pretty good. I guess. I don't know. I guess I'm kinda sexist about rap, if I'm being honest. I can't think of many female rappers whose music I listen to beyond Lauryn Hill. I should work on that.

louder 09.14.2017 11:17 AM

Quote:

Junglepussy - yes, terrible name but she's a very good rapper.

Princess Nokia is an interesting artist but I'm not too crazy about her voice.

Noname is pretty good. Sort of like a female Chance the Rapper.

Rob Instigator 09.14.2017 01:02 PM

It's not Lady Sovereign

evollove 09.20.2017 09:12 AM

^ Wow. She sucks.

So, I don't really like 95% of hiphop I hear.

But I'm sort of growing obsessed with Snow tha Product.

This either means: I'm too ignorant to know a good rapper when I hear one. Or: she's so good, even people who aren't into hiphop have to get her props.

Her beats could be better. Her lyrics could use some variety (lots of bragging and hater-bashing). But I can't get enough.

Severian 09.20.2017 11:24 AM

Quote:

^ Wow. She sucks.

So, I don't really like 95% of hiphop I hear.

But I'm sort of growing obsessed with Snow tha Product.

This either means: I'm too ignorant to know a good rapper when I hear one. Or: she's so good, even people who aren't into hiphop have to get her props.

Her beats could be better. Her lyrics could use some variety (lots of bragging and hater-bashing). But I can't get enough.

I don’t like 95% of the hip-hop I hear either.

evollove 09.20.2017 11:42 AM

Stupid but serious question: what's with the brag rhymes? Why does every rapper have to insist they are the best?

Here's mine:

Muthafuckas all know me as evollove.
My rhymes so tight like a hand in glove.
Front on me? Shit, I wouldn't dare it.
I got a baby arm, you got a baby carrot.

Rob Instigator 09.20.2017 11:53 AM

I thought about the braggadocio in rap for long time.

I feel it comes from being raised deeply poor. Most poor people in the world have very few things to be proud of, and they are ussually not physical things, like flashy cars, or gold chains. They have to take pride in the achievements open to someone from a deeply impoverished place, such as how mnay girls you bang, how many drugs you can take, hoe you are better than every single person that makes you feel like shit every single day for being a poor ass motherfucker. When you have nothing, all you can espouse is your own bad-assness, whatever that may be.

That is how it started, but of course, there are a lot of rappers in the past 25 years that are only aping/copying/reflecting what they see from the OG's, and so they brag and exaggerate and such, but with them it is about the wit and the intellgience. Rappers always rap about banging strangers and orgies and shit, but just like Rakim would rap about killing you with his microphone, it is mostly a "joke" in a sense.

evollove 09.20.2017 12:29 PM

So by and large, it's just generic subject matter to play with? Like, I think to rhyme "dare it" and "carrot," so I'll stick it in a brag rap?

The subject gets old after awhile, but it is a neat trick when a rapper brags about being the best and the technique proves the point. Example: I think nearly every Big Daddy Kane song is a brag, but, you know, he's really fucking good and I wouldn't really argue with him.

Competition, I just devour
Like a pit bull against a chihuahua

Rob Instigator 09.20.2017 12:51 PM

yes, it is one thing to brag and another to have the chops to back up that brag.

Severian 09.20.2017 08:14 PM

Bragging is ubiquitous in rap. Everyone does it in one way or another. You learn to tolerate the brags that don’t make you feel embarrassed for the artist, and you learn to love the brags that make you laugh or feel genuine or true in some way.

For example:
“Damn ‘Ye, it’d be stupid to dis you
Even your superficial raps are super official”

^ Boom. Funny and accurate. I’m sold.

Compared to one of the most notoriously shitty, shit-balls brags in recent memory:
“Tell my mom I love her if I do not make it
Got so many chains they call me ‘Chaining Tatum’”

^ That’s Drake. Shit rhyme, shit sentiment, stupid thing to say, awful, fuck it.

ETA: The good one is Kanye :cool:

louder 09.21.2017 02:58 AM

Speaking of female MC's, Rapsody's new album comes out tomorrow.

Fuck, I feel ashamed for even forgetting to mention her. Easily the best one in the game. Her verse on Complexion was nothing short of greatness.

Severian 09.21.2017 10:06 AM

Quote:

Speaking of female MC's, Rapsody's new album comes out tomorrow.

Fuck, I feel ashamed for even forgetting to mention her. Easily the best one in the game. Her verse on Complexion was nothing short of greatness.

Oh yeah. I forgot about her too because I haven’t thought about her since I was listening to TPAB all the time, due to the aforementioned semi-sexism of my rap listening habits.

Thanks for reminding me about this. I just hopped over to Apple Music and listened to the available tracks from “Laila’s Wisdom,” and there’s a good one with Busta Rhymes (who I kinda keep forgetting is still alive). Good stuff.

evollove 09.22.2017 10:55 AM

Rhapsody's cool. I like how her music makes white people feel safe, then she throws in the n-word.

---

Why does Drake get any respect as a rapper? There's at least two clips of him on youtube completely blowing a freestyle. Everyone can have a bad day, but twenty seconds of "Yo. Alright. Uh-hu. Here we go. Yo. Yeah. Alright" is just pathetic.

Rob Instigator 09.22.2017 11:36 AM

Drake is an actor pretending to be a quality rapper. he uses ghostwriters for pretty much everything. I only like a few of his tunes, and usually not because of him, but because of the track itself. His "flow" is straight dookie.

Rob Instigator 09.22.2017 11:37 AM

but he is "safe" for the white kids and housewives to listen to. he is half black. he is canadian. he is well-groomed and doesn't look like a degenerate druggie

louder 09.22.2017 12:58 PM

"RZA Reveals Kanye West Is Producing 90s Inspired Music With ASR Machines"
Quote:

RZA and Kanye West have worked together on songs a bunch of times in the past — ‘White Dress’, ‘New Day’, ‘So Appalled’ and more. It was recently revealed that the two had connected in the studio, supposedly to work on Kanye’s upcoming new album.

RZA stopped by Power 106 L.A. recently to promote the upcoming Wu-Tang Clan album, The Saga Continues. At the 26 minute mark, RZA said he wouldn’t like to divulge too many details but revealed that Kanye had two ASR machines in the studio when he visited him. He explained how the Ensoniq ASR machines have a unique way to produce classic 90s Hip-Hop sound. Is ‘Ye cooking up some vintage music?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NFG1gYp7W8

Misleading title because Kanye has already worked with ASR machines in the past and it doesn't guarantee "90's vintage sound".

It's good to hear that he's still working on music and producing though.

There's also some talk about how he's gonna put out something with Kid Cudi at the end of 2017. I don't know. We'll wait and see I guess.

louder 09.23.2017 11:20 AM

I realized that Tribe's comeback album is their best album. It truly has everything that is so great about Tribe. Production wise it's modern and incredible. Versatile. Every rapper brought the top of his game. It's truly a masterpiece.

Severian 09.23.2017 03:57 PM

Quote:

I realized that Tribe's comeback album is their best album. It truly has everything that is so great about Tribe. Production wise it's modern and incredible. Versatile. Every rapper brought the top of his game. It's truly a masterpiece.

Oh come on. Yes it’s very very good, but it’s not their best album. Midnight Marauders? Low End Theory?

I agree it’s great, and everything a “comeback” album should be, but it wasn’t even the best hip-hop album of 2016. Second best, easy, but not the best.

Recency effect bro. This is called the recency effect.
Actually not really, that’s something different that has to do with memory and stuff, but kinda.

louder 09.30.2017 02:26 PM

Ha.. no, I really do think it's their best. MM and LET are classics of course but this is the one for me.

Is Kanye greater than Tribe? No disrespect, but in many ways, he is. They opened for him during Yeezus tour for a reason. So it shouldn't come as a surprise that it was "only" the 2nd best hip hop album of 2016. In almost every other year it would've been the best by a large margin.

louder 09.30.2017 02:29 PM

Miley's new album is a huge commercial failure.. funny how things change every few years.

Severian 09.30.2017 02:49 PM

Quote:

Ha.. no, I really do think it's their best. MM and LET are classics of course but this is the one for me.

Is Kanye greater than Tribe? No disrespect, but in many ways, he is. They opened for him during Yeezus tour for a reason. So it shouldn't come as a surprise that it was "only" the 2nd best hip hop album of 2016. In almost every other year it would've been the best by a large margin.

Are you really asking me that?

Of course Kanye’s better than Tribe.

Tribe is one of the all time greatest groups ever in any genre, but musically Kanye is way, way, way better. It’s like... Tribe is Brian Eno, Kanye is Richard D. James. Or... uh... Tribe is... fuckin’ ... the Ramones, and Kanye is Sonic Youth.

Kanye is indebted to Tribe, but his music has lapped theirs about five times over at this point. Fully lapped.

But yes, any other year except for a Kendrick year, that new tribe joint would be rap album of the year.

Severian 09.30.2017 02:52 PM

When’s King Push coming out?!

Kanye’s never gonna release Cruel Winter. :(

Something is coming Dec. 31 though. #EverybodyWins with Kid Cudi (who should really only be doing choruses for Kanye at this point... that boy is never going to have a real career)

Severian 09.30.2017 03:27 PM

Quote:

Miley's new album is a huge commercial failure.. funny how things change every few years.

Didn’t even know it existed until I saw it in the store after work last night. When the first time you hear about an album is when you physically see it in a chain store in 2017, things can’t be good. Chain stores don’t know what people want. This particular store has never had a single copy of “DAMN.” Not one.

Miley Cyrus is unfortunate because she’s going through all the same motions and making all the same terrible decisions a sheltered theater would make after going to college and smoking weed for he first time, only she’s doing it in front of the world. And she’s not getting an education.

She’s like the most visible drunk girl at a party ever. Now she seems to be going through a junior year, “time to settle down and get serious phase,” which won’t last because she’s gonna lose it when she takes stock of all the damage she’s done to herself and her self-esteem.

Wayne Coyne has played a creepy role in all of this. I like Wayne Coyne a good deal less than I once did, after hearing him simulate sex with a 20-year-old and encourage illicit drug use and whatnot. Super gross, if you think about it.

louder 10.01.2017 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
When’s King Push coming out?!

Kanye’s never gonna release Cruel Winter. :(

Something is coming Dec. 31 though. #EverybodyWins with Kid Cudi (who should really only be doing choruses for Kanye at this point... that boy is never going to have a real career)

This is better than the Drake collab. I'm totally here for a new Kanye album with some Cudi assistance. Things have turned out well if you ask me.

Severian 10.01.2017 09:32 AM

Quote:

This is better than the Drake collab. I'm totally here for a new Kanye album with some Cudi assistance. Things have turned out well if you ask me.

Drake collab officially most definitely not happening. Hahaha

evollove 10.10.2017 11:27 AM

Poll: Vag or Dick?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z726OPwCnjE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnzYG0ZkrXg

Rob Instigator 10.13.2017 11:22 AM

Heard this track on the radio, loved the bass and the lyrics. Cool song. Reminds me of several women I know who have had to get over the shitty men in their life to accept the good one. Russ - Losin' Control https://youtu.be/IdGIZjVWrzY

louder 10.13.2017 10:00 PM

https://pitchfork.com/news/vince-sta...eestyle-trash/

LOL

Severian 10.14.2017 05:12 PM

Quote:

It was not that good. Though I’ll admit I was proud of him. He seemed visibly frustrated and pissed the fuck off, as any sane person should be. No, it was not a great freestyle — I mean, Jesus, he had to start over for fuck’s sake — but he DID tell his Trump-supporting fans (of which there are many) to fuck right the fuck off, and that took courage.

Honestly, the rapping was definitely not great, but it may have been the least bullshit thing he’s ever done. *shrug*

evollove 10.15.2017 04:42 AM

Favorite line: "got no nuts, like an empty asylum."

Dudes, fists "balled like the top of your head."

Balled, bald

A homophone off da top of his dome.

Y'all crazy and about to get neg repped.

Severian 10.15.2017 08:37 AM

Quote:

Favorite line: "got no nuts, like an empty asylum."

Dudes, fists "balled like the top of your head."

Balled, bald

A homophone off da top of his dome.

Y'all crazy and about to get neg repped.

Hey man, I just think his flow’s off. Some of the rhymes were good.

louder 10.21.2017 04:07 PM

This thread is dead.

Severian 10.21.2017 05:24 PM

Quote:

This thread is dead.

Yeah, well, you post like once a month, so...

I have put in a solid and observable effort this year. But I move on when there’s nobody to shoot shit with.

Also, I really quite hate most hip-hop. That new Future and Thug thing? Yawwwwwnnnnn. So mega-yawn. No fucks to give. That new Wu-Tang Not-Clan abomination? Shit salad.

But we could still talk about stuff if SOME OF US PUT IN THE TIME!!

Severian 10.21.2017 05:35 PM

I’m calling the year early since this thread is now “dead” after seven fucking years.

Hip-hop album of the year:
1. Kendrick Lamar - “DAMN.”
2. Jay-Z - “4:44”
3. Vince Staples - “Big Fish Theory”

Song of the year:
1. Kendrick Lamar - “DNA”
2. Jay-Z - “Moonlight”
3. Jay-Z ft. Frank Ocean - “Caught Their Eyes”

Letdown of the year:
1. No “Cruel Winter” OR “Turbo Grafx-whatever-the-fuck”
2. No “King Push”
3. Drake’s still around

Miracle of the year:
1. KANYE/DRAKE COLLAB IS NOT HAPPENING, THANK ALL THE GODS!
2. Jay-Z made a great album
3. Lil Wayne didn’t die

Video of the year:
1. Jay-Z - “The Story of O.J.”
2. Kendrick Lamar - “HUMBLE”

Artist of the year: Kendrick Lamar

Rob Instigator 10.24.2017 10:12 AM

Hip Hop, like Rock n Roll, is Dead.

Severian 10.24.2017 01:39 PM

Possibly. There are so few good artists in the genre right now.

I tried a minute of that new Gucci Mane album and just ohmygod... I just can’t believe so much shit sounds so shamelessly *exactly like everything else.*

Rob Instigator 10.24.2017 02:21 PM

Gucci Mane has always been inexplicable to me. his rhymes are lame, his rhyme scheme is wack, bordering on the stupid, and his grills make his too big teeth already look like some sort of attack on titan shit.