Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

mangajunky 10.27.2008 03:43 PM

I just rewatched all of FLCL in a marathon last night.

I totally love the soundtrack.
This show has so many trippy elements. And it looks almost like Bob Clampett and Yoshiyuki Sadamoto had a love child.

atsonicpark 10.28.2008 12:29 AM

FLCL is amazing. One of the best shows ever. Have you seen Dead Leaves or Gunbuster 2? You may want to check those out...

Once Upon a Time in the West is amazing. One of the best films ever, and definitely my favorite western ever.

I re-watched Gozu. Meh. 5/10.

atsonicpark 10.28.2008 12:31 AM

Monster Squad is amazing too. Glad to see people watching great shit lately! I like that director's film Night of the Creeps a whole lot.

I just got back from a screening earlier of the film FRACTURE (
) which is a film my friend and bandmate Kyle made and I act in.. it's an art film, similiar to Begotten and Eraserhead and Der Goldem and so on and so forth, with music by Robe. We had a big screening and played a show and stuff... yay.

atsonicpark 10.28.2008 12:41 AM

I reccomend this for fans of anything arty, obscure, surreal, druggy, whatever:

http://www.archive.org/details/ls714...ng_titty_eater

It's nothing but fucked-up random images and just.. uh.. insanity. You can put any music over top of it and it's great.

noisereductions 10.28.2008 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Monster Squad is amazing too. Glad to see people watching great shit lately! I like that director's film Night of the Creeps a whole lot.

I dnt think CREEPS is on DVD yet. It took MONSTER SQUAD forever, but I had the VHS. Love NIGHT OF THE CREEPS though! Dekker (that's the directors name right?) is awesome.

atsonicpark 10.28.2008 07:14 AM

Yeah, I think it's Fred Dekker.

I think he did Robocop 3 and then disappeared off the planet..

atsonicpark 10.28.2008 11:24 AM

phantom of the paradise - 7/10

new gladiators - 7/10

noisereductions 10.28.2008 11:31 AM

I didnt know about that Fulci on Troma, son. What's the plot?

MellySingsDoom 10.28.2008 11:44 AM

noisereductions - If you've sat through/suffered Enzo G Castellari's "Bronx Warriors", then that pretty much the same thing.

noisereductions 10.28.2008 12:26 PM

I havent... is it like The Warriors?

davenotdead 10.28.2008 04:12 PM

very unique. it's A LOT. just everything, life packed into 2 hours.

MellySingsDoom 10.28.2008 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions

More like a poor man's version of Mad Max, but set in a "major American city". Pretty cheesy, quite fun, but really not very good at all.

viewtiful_alan 10.28.2008 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions

Most dissapointing movie.. I remembered it being so amazing!! But I rewatched years later (recently) and was not too thrilled (the warriors)

fugazifan 10.28.2008 07:50 PM

high noon

and the first season of black books

!@#$%! 10.28.2008 08:09 PM

gotta love hal hartley's dialogue-- so artificial & theatrical, its fucking cool!

plus other tricks he's got-- the way he directs his actresses-- brilliant.

fugazifan 10.28.2008 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!

gotta love hal hartley's dialogue-- so artificial & theatrical, its fucking cool!

plus other tricks he's got-- the way he directs his actresses-- brilliant.

ive only seen his movie trust which i did not like that much...
but maybe ill give this one a shot

!@#$%! 10.28.2008 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fugazifan
ive only seen his movie trust which i did not like that much...
but maybe ill give this one a shot

i love trust, i've seen it a few times. what didn't you like about it? maybe hal hartley is not your style.

in this one here, that chick in the picture is dancing to kool thing-- ha ha ha. seriously. it's a funny & bizarre scene. there's also some yo la tengo on the sountrack. simple man is good, the unbelievable truth is good, they are all good (to my taste)-- some are superior to others but i generally like his stuff very much. in simple men, the last final shot is fucking perfect. watch it & see if you like.

if you wanna try a different flavor of hal hartley, start with henry fool and then follow with fay grim (it's a sequel). still weird, stylized dialogue, but different characters & stories.

Sonic Youth 37 10.28.2008 09:23 PM

atsonicpark 10.28.2008 11:25 PM

jesus christ vampire hunter - 5/10
replacement killers - 5/10

!@#$%! 10.28.2008 11:29 PM

Quote:

jesus christ vampire hunter - 5/10

that's gotta be the best title ever. probably the title takes the whole 5 points?

Quote:

replacement killers - 5/10

mh yeah that movie was shitty, but mira sorvino gives me a boner so i watched until the end.