Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   post comething completely irrelevant! (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=6857)

Severian 05.12.2017 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EVOLghost
Dang dood. 3 jobs. Are they like freelancing jobs? I know you just got a promotion n stuff....but what are they other two if you don't mind me asking

One of them is still technically freelancing for the moment — but not *real* freelancing because I do it *for* my company exclusively. But yeah it's 1099 shit. Prior to this I had two "jobs," and one was the freelance gig and the other was regular. I did work for both "jobs" in the same place at the same time though, so... very hard to explain. Basically my company didn't want to give me full bennies. Oh hey that was actually easy!

Now I've taken on a second role that's also included in my regular salary. Mgmt is currently trying to figure out how to get me into a position where that formerly freelance writing gets done without wearing me out or having to pay overtime, but for now I'm doing all three things and working a fuck ton and it's super confusing.

We need to hire a new freelancer, make my feature writing part of my regular pay, and distribute some of my other duties to some of our part-timers. Then they need to bring me a proposed new wage for the new hybrid-position. It's going to take a while, though, I fear.

They kinda offered me the job before they had a transition plan in place.

EVOLghost 05.12.2017 01:36 PM

Ouch mang. Hope everything gets figured out! Happy to hear your staying busy though. Working more saves money ;)

Severian 05.12.2017 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EVOLghost
Ouch mang. Hope everything gets figured out! Happy to hear your staying busy though. Working more saves money ;)

Yup. Getting a fuckton of hours, that's for sure.

And experience.

Honestly, this is basically my second career change, and I'm working at a daily newspaper and doing a little bit of everything. So the pressure is on constantly, and that's great for future opportunities at weeklies or other, less rigorous formats. Also, most of our writers just write and occasionally do page layout. I'm designing pages all the time, so at this point I'm able to do some things that nobody else at the office cans do. I'm also overseeing publications and copy-editing, so if I ever get over my hang ups about being "unworthy," and want to apply for a legit editor position somewhere, that will come in handy too.

But damn I'm glad it's the weekend.

h8kurdt 05.13.2017 04:30 AM

Man, as if Steely Dan were able to sell out the o2 arena in barely a day.

Severian 05.13.2017 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h8kurdt
Man, as if Steely Dan were able to sell out the o2 arena in barely a day.

I misread this at first and thought you were talking about an arena in '02. :D Of course, you would have been being sarcastic, because they did just that, like, a fuck-ton in 2002, but now I get it.

Wow, that sold out already though? I just googled the show and it looked like tickets were still available. I didn't click any links though, so, what the fuck am I talking about?

h8kurdt 05.13.2017 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
I misread this at first and thought you were talking about an arena in '02. :D Of course, you would have been being sarcastic, because they did just that, like, a fuck-ton in 2002, but now I get it.

Wow, that sold out already though? I just googled the show and it looked like tickets were still available. I didn't click any links though, so, what the fuck am I talking about?

The o2 arena in London and I couldn't see any tickets any way. Tbf, they were a total rip-off ranging from £55-£185. Total joke.

Annoying thing is they haven't toured here for, like, 9 years and they decide to do one shitty arena date? I say non to that.

EVOLghost 05.16.2017 08:52 AM

Was in Colorado like a month ago. (4/20 weekend...it wasn't planned I swear) drove there with my dog...went on some mountains n shit. Didn't smoke weed, but vaped concentrates, bodied their fighting game scene in Street Fighter 3, had some awesome matches in SF2.

Now this Saturday I'm going to LA to visit my sister. I think I can get used to this traveling often thing. I'm hoping I can go to an arcade or at least a garage session with some SF3 veterans. I need to keep playing...I have a tournament Memorial Day weekend...

evollove 05.22.2017 10:13 AM

Is being "in love" necessary? Is it even real?

Let's say you care about someone. You might even say you "love" them. Additionally, you are sexually attracted to them.

But there's not that crazy, swooning feeling. Some spark isn't there.

Does it matter for a strong romantic relationship? Isn't being "in love" a temporary state anyway?

h8kurdt 05.23.2017 05:34 AM

How can it be that so some cunt decides that targeting a concert is the 'right' thing. Ariana Grande's core audience are kids, and for many of those kids who died today it was probably their first concert. How does that happen? Just heartbreaking.

EVOLghost 05.23.2017 08:47 AM

Yeah. Just heard about that. That is really awful.

EVOLghost 05.24.2017 07:56 PM

Damn. This coming weekend is the big tournament....and tomorrow I'm going to pick up a legendary Japanese fighting game(Capcom vs SNK 2) player, BAS.

Severian 05.24.2017 09:06 PM

So that third job I've been doing? Wearing myself out completely? Yeah, well, in a creepily brief meeting with the Man, I learned — after doing all three jobs for weeks — that, apparently, I'm too "valuable" in one of my other positions, and this third gig, which I really would have liked, is "easier to fill." Sooo... they filled it with someone else (new, outside, young, inexperienced), and that's that.

Good thing the extra work is over, but fuck man. They really will go out of their way to avoid paying for benefits.

Then I got a flat tire.

Then I got jury duty notification.

Best birthday ever.

!@#$%! 05.24.2017 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
So that third job I've been doing? Wearing myself out completely? Yeah, well, in a creepily brief meeting with the Man, I learned — after doing all three jobs for weeks — that, apparently, I'm too "valuable" in one of my other positions, and this third gig, which I really would have liked, is "easier to fill." Sooo... they filled it with someone else (new, outside, young, inexperienced), and that's that.

Good thing the extra work is over, but fuck man. They really will go out of their way to avoid paying for benefits.

Then I got a flat tire.

Then I got jury duty notification.

Best birthday ever.

o man! always in 3s

happy birthday!

:(

EVOLghost 05.24.2017 11:41 PM

3s.

Severian 05.25.2017 09:31 AM

Fml

evollove 05.25.2017 12:03 PM

These are just temporary problems.

Concentrate more on permanent ones, like your massive vagina or your tendency to drool while in conversation.

I usually charge for my advice, but this one's on me dood.

EVOLghost 05.29.2017 12:18 AM

So...this we did another side tournament for Street Fighter 3. We managed to nearly double last years entrants....and I think t's the biggest 3s tournament in the past few years. One of the biggest was last year in North Carolina, and it had 57 entrants. We had 58 this year. w00t.

Severian 05.29.2017 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove
These are just temporary problems.

Concentrate more on permanent ones, like your massive vagina or your tendency to drool while in conversation.

I usually charge for my advice, but this one's on me dood.

Severian 05.29.2017 08:28 AM

Is it weird to say, "Happy Memorials Day?"

I'm not asking because I've said that or anything close to it. Just wondering.

EVOLghost 05.29.2017 09:05 AM

It sounds weird.