Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   what are you reading? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=3180)

Rob Instigator 08.10.2015 04:17 PM

Now reading Survive the Savage Sea

a family gets shipwrecked after Orca whales attack their boat, leaving them on the water for over 38 days.....

Gonna be horror....

gmku 08.10.2015 07:14 PM

Best wishes!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keeping It Gimple
ive been eating utter crap due to my new job and low finances and ive got serious work to be getting on with so im off the board for a while. seeya round all

pony 08.13.2015 05:34 PM

I will be re-reading Didion's Play It As It Lays tomorrow cause just today I got the really pretty looking hardcover version! It's SO pretty and it makes me love the novel even more:

Peterpuff 08.21.2015 10:39 AM

Daxflame - I'm Just Sitting on a Fence: The secrets of life.

Loving it.

demonrail666 08.21.2015 12:18 PM

Four Kings, George Kimball

Blummin brilliant.

h8kurdt 08.21.2015 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666

Blummin brilliant.

*hi-fucking five* Brilliant book.

h8kurdt 08.21.2015 12:27 PM

Quote:

Blummin brilliant.

Also, have you read any of Budd Schulberg's stuff?

demonrail666 08.21.2015 12:35 PM

No. I only know about him through On the Waterfront. I'll check him out, ta!

And yeah, Four Kings; I went into it as a massive Hagler fan. I still am but, reading it so far, I've gained a new respect for fighters like Hearns who, at the time, I never really liked. What a fantastic era, though.

Have you read The Hurt Business? A collection of the best writing on boxing. It's edited by Kimball. I really love sports writers generally but I think boxing writers are maybe the best of the lot.

Rob Instigator 08.21.2015 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Now reading Survive the Savage Sea

Finished and reviewed - http://rxttbooks.blogspot.com/2015/0...fic-ocean.html

h8kurdt 08.21.2015 01:30 PM

Quote:

No. I only know about him through On the Waterfront. I'll check him out, ta!

And yeah, Four Kings; I went into it as a massive Hagler fan. I still am but, reading it so far, I've gained a new respect for fighters like Hearns who, at the time, I never really liked. What a fantastic era, though.

Have you read The Hurt Business? A collection of the best writing on boxing. It's edited by Kimball. I really love sports writers generally but I think boxing writers are maybe the best of the lot.

The Schulberg book his basically like The Hurt Business it seems. However, Schulberg saw all fighters from way back when to modern day. Add that with the fact that he writes brilliantly and you've got yourself a great book. Worth a read.

Here's the book.

demonrail666 08.21.2015 02:29 PM

Brilliant, thanks!

pony 08.22.2015 12:23 AM

Severian 08.27.2015 10:48 AM

And man oh man, it's exactly what I needed. Truly horrifying far future dark science fiction. Reminiscent of Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun / Long Sun / Short Sun, and Le Guin's Left Hand of Darkness.

Severian 08.27.2015 10:57 AM

Honestly, I can't believe I'm just getting around to it. I've been reading Simmons for years, and making my way through sci-fi's biggest titles since I was a boy. But I'm very glad to have it right now, so perhaps it was meant to be.

Simmons is an excellent horror writer. His horror is always expertly crafted, sneaking up on you from behind. Looking at the cover of Hyperion, and reading the summary, it feels like it's going to be standard sci-fo fare. But then you get a story loaded with deadly tension, hushed murmurs about horrific fates that are likely to befall everyone involved, and almost Lovecraftian god-as-monster living at the end of the universe-type shit.

So, feels like fucking horror to me.

Rob Instigator 08.28.2015 08:51 AM

Rob Instigator 08.28.2015 08:52 AM

I am gonna have to check out that Hyperion!

Severian 08.28.2015 11:08 AM

Quote:

And I am going to have to check this out! Sounds like a brilliant read!!

Severian 08.28.2015 11:10 AM

Quote:

I am gonna have to check out that Hyperion!

Yeah, do... The more I read the more it sinks into my subconscious and turns up in my dreams and random thoughts. Which is creepy, but like I said: horror.

demonrail666 08.28.2015 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Honestly, I can't believe I'm just getting around to it. I've been reading Simmons for years, and making my way through sci-fi's biggest titles since I was a boy. But I'm very glad to have it right now, so perhaps it was meant to be.

Simmons is an excellent horror writer. His horror is always expertly crafted, sneaking up on you from behind. Looking at the cover of Hyperion, and reading the summary, it feels like it's going to be standard sci-fo fare. But then you get a story loaded with deadly tension, hushed murmurs about horrific fates that are likely to befall everyone involved, and almost Lovecraftian god-as-monster living at the end of the universe-type shit.

So, feels like fucking horror to me.

Sold! I'm looking for a new author and I've been sniffing around the darker reaches of scifi for a bit but never know the right entry point. Big fan of Lovecraft so this seems perfect. Thanks for the review.

Mortte Jousimo 08.28.2015 03:29 PM

Bulgagov´s short stories. Going to read again the Master & Margarita.