Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   post comething completely irrelevant! (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=6857)

Silver ✴ Rocket 07.04.2020 09:04 AM

i actually thought they had pulled the plug on this thing

Antagon 07.04.2020 04:02 PM

My body had a weirdly polarizing day today. The first half of the day I was happy I even managed to get up. The fatigue was unreal. And then in the late afternoon and early evening hours I suddenly had this burst of energy that materialized out of nowhere. Phone tells me I've walked 11 Miles during that time. It's almost as if my body had to compensate for the slump earlier.

Antagon 07.05.2020 03:09 PM

I realized yesterday that a four-lane street in the second district of Vienna had been transformed into a pedestrian area.

Being the anti-motorist that I am, I thought it nescessary to celebrate that. So I seized the opportunity to get as silly as can be. It felt liberating.

2020 may be a single shitshow, but it's nice to see a few advantageous reforms for people who actually put in some legwork come out of this mess.

choc e-Claire 07.17.2020 11:49 PM

Hey, I'm back. Anything interesting happen?

Antagon 07.18.2020 03:01 PM

I'm streaming a pre-recorded DJ session right now if anyone's interested.

Also:Welcome Back, Claire. You didn't miss much, really. Cool thing you're back.

NYCgaf16 08.13.2020 10:41 AM

:) heh

Bytor Peltor 08.15.2020 01:11 PM

Soooooo......this happened today : )

Bytor Peltor 08.18.2020 12:54 AM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY tw2113

Bytor Peltor 08.21.2020 02:42 AM

The beginning of this next week will possibly be the FIRST TIME for two hurricanes to be in the Gulf of Mexico simultaneously since weather record keeping began in 1851

_tunic_ 08.21.2020 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
The beginning of this next week will possibly be the FIRST TIME for two hurricanes to be in the Gulf of Mexico simultaneously since weather record keeping began in 1851

[/url]

wow, that would be very intriguing if it wasn't also so extremely brutal. Hopefully both wiil tone down by the time they hit US coasts.
btw, don't these hurricanes get names anymore? Like Britney or Mariah

Bytor Peltor 08.21.2020 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _tunic_
btw, don't these hurricanes get names anymore? Like Britney or Mariah

YES - they are assigned numbers when they are depressions. Once a sustained surface wind of 38 mph is detected, it’s then upgraded to a tropical storm and given a name. Once a tropical storm reaches a sustained surface wind of 74 mph, it’s upgraded again to a hurricane (keeps the same name).

Hurricane levels

Category 1 74-95
Category 2 96-110
Category 3 111-129
Category 4 130-156
Category 5 157+

Each of these storms are predicted to be Category 1 hurricane when they reach landfall Tuesday evening. Often times, hurricanes can go up in category just before reaching landfall. Even at a Category 2, we wouldn’t evacuate.

Category 3 = get the hell out of Dodge!

This happened in the Gulf of Mexico yesterday:

Bytor Peltor 08.22.2020 11:52 AM

It’s going to be a fun week : )

Bytor Peltor 08.22.2020 04:59 PM

Wow - the 4pm Saturday update has shifted everything East, meaning we will be on the clean side of both storms. I’ll feel better about this after tomorrow’s 4pm update:

tw2113 08.22.2020 05:41 PM

thanks

Bytor Peltor 08.23.2020 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
Wow - the 4pm Saturday update has shifted everything East, meaning we will be on the clean side of both storms. I’ll feel better about this after tomorrow’s 4pm update

Well, it’s after 4pm on Sunday and I don’t feel any better. Waking up to the news that Texas Governor Gregg Abbott has issued a disaster declaration for the upper Texas coastal counties......our County Judge has done the same.

Marco will stay a tropical storm and run parallel along the Louisiana and Texas coast. I don’t expect Marco to stay very organized, but I’m sure we will encounter a lot of shear and it will be a rain maker. Harvey was just a tropical storm when it dumped over 55” of rain this very week three years ago.

Laura is building steam and is expected to reach Category 2 before making landfall Wednesday at the Sabine River (Texas/Louisiana border). A landfall West of the Sabine River would hit us head on.

Only in Texas is brisket considered a hurricane staple: )

choc e-Claire 08.23.2020 05:59 PM

Thinking about how bummed out I am that Dimeadozen wouldn't let me register.

h8kurdt 08.24.2020 11:08 AM

Just got back from three nights of camping with the Mrs and her lad....and 7 other kids and all the the Mrs' friends. Feel like Patty in the Simpsons when the babysits Bart and Lisa "how do you do it?".

Actually don't know how people go camping for a whole week either.

choc e-Claire 09.03.2020 06:25 PM

The careers people at school (who are pretty nice, basically trying to help us find our feet in future life) sent out an email - a local print company is looking for two full-time jobs, either as a printer or a finisher.
It'd probably suck, I want to go to uni, and I'm anxious about the concept of getting a long-term job; but considering that the job market has absolutely shit the bed thanks to this I'm honestly tempted. And conflicted :(

!@#$%! 09.03.2020 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choc e-Claire
The careers people at school (who are pretty nice, basically trying to help us find our feet in future life) sent out an email - a local print company is looking for two full-time jobs, either as a printer or a finisher.
It'd probably suck, I want to go to uni, and I'm anxious about the concept of getting a long-term job; but considering that the job market has absolutely shit the bed thanks to this I'm honestly tempted. And conflicted :(

what’s the confict?

the job market will not dry up for math-competent people but you have to aim for such jobs, btw.

we need more statistical reasoning where intuition has failed us.

_slavo_ 09.05.2020 07:46 AM

It's Saturday.

I have absolutely NOTHING to do.

I went out for a coffee, to arrange a couple of necessary things, did a little grocery shopping and now it's 2pm and out of sheer nihilism I went to work because there's A/C here and nice and quiet to browse the internet.

I was home for 6 months and now, after 1 week in Switzerland again, I realize how much it SUCKS ASS to be alone and away from your family and friends.