Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   what are you reading? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=3180)

evollove 06.07.2016 02:15 PM

Prediction: you'll hate Point Omega.

!@#$%! 06.07.2016 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove

i hate most things i read these days so we're gonna have to figure out a spread!

noisereductions 06.07.2016 03:20 PM

just finished

just started

Rob Instigator 06.08.2016 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
léelo en español, boricua!

!

Ha! I may indeed do so, once I have read the translation. Borge's Spanish is so dense and erudite that I would have to spend every 2 minutes going to the dictionary.

Severian 06.11.2016 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
just finished

just started

I've wanted to read Deadpool kills.. for a long time. Let me know how you like it.

I'm going nuts on the DC: REBIRTH first issues. So far, the best have been the DC Universe RB #1 and Superman RB #1.

Surprisingly, despite having some of the best art of the bunch, Batman Rebirth #1 has been the least impressive by far.

Severian 06.11.2016 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

Started on this dense baby today

You gave me your WORD you son of a bitch!!!! Grumble grumble.

Plenty of people have read Borges, bro. He's a legend. You'd do more for the world by helping introduce more people to the unmatched brilliance of early Gene Wolfe.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.11.2016 10:48 PM

A consistent favorite of mine me being a hyper religious historian nerd

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.11.2016 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
I was a TA technically but they called me professor because I handled everything from designing the course to consoling girls after their abortions and all that goes in between, like prepping lectures and writing/grading exams.

And I know what you're saying about answering those questions, but-- that's all in the syllabus! So whoever asks hasn't bothered reading it. And I'd even walk them through it on day 1! But on the whole I did enjoy the experience. It's the... being part of a system, with institutional goals, and being pushed towards them like the police department in "the wire", that I didn't like; if that makes sense.

That is why i opted for secondary school, at least on the whole our goals are student centered and the competitive assholes factors is much diminished.

noisereductions 06.12.2016 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
I've wanted to read Deadpool kills.. for a long time. Let me know how you like it.

I'm going nuts on the DC: REBIRTH first issues. So far, the best have been the DC Universe RB #1 and Superman RB #1.

Surprisingly, despite having some of the best art of the bunch, Batman Rebirth #1 has been the least impressive by far.

Deadpool Kills The Marvel Universe was sort of fun and sort of disturbing but also sort of pointless. Like by the time you get to the end it just feels like the book was made "because." I don't know. I love Deadpool but I don't feel like it's totally necessary or one I'd highly recommend.

I haven't checked out the Rebirth stuff yet. I'm a much bigger Marvel fan than DC. Though I am reading Batman Long Halloween right now.

Severian 06.12.2016 11:08 AM

Quote:

Deadpool Kills The Marvel Universe was sort of fun and sort of disturbing but also sort of pointless. Like by the time you get to the end it just feels like the book was made "because." I don't know. I love Deadpool but I don't feel like it's totally necessary or one I'd highly recommend.

I haven't checked out the Rebirth stuff yet. I'm a much bigger Marvel fan than DC. Though I am reading Batman Long Halloween right now.

Aw, Long Halloween! That's one of my favorites, if not my absolute favorite of all time. It's so epic! I've always loved the team of Loeb and Sale. I place that book above even Frank Miller's essential books. A lot of the inspiration for The Dark Knight came from Long Halloween, even though the story is far from a direct adaptation.

Severian 06.12.2016 12:36 PM

Make sure you read Dark Victory after that, the sequel. Also by Loeb and Sale. Also really epic and badass. An immediate continuation of the Long Halloween.

The two arcs could easily be turned into a really fucking kickass Batman movie.

Rob Instigator 06.13.2016 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
You gave me your WORD you son of a bitch!!!! Grumble grumble.

Plenty of people have read Borges, bro. He's a legend. You'd do more for the world by helping introduce more people to the unmatched brilliance of early Gene Wolfe.

True. I will jump on that shit ASAP!

Rob Instigator 06.13.2016 08:24 AM

Quote:

I just read it. It is a What If that the fans had been asking about. It was pointless, but it was funny seeing the Watcher get killed.

Severian 06.13.2016 09:27 AM

Quote:

True. I will jump on that shit ASAP!

Love you, Robert man.

noisereductions 06.15.2016 08:59 AM

finished this last night:

next I'm gonna probably knock out a couple of shorter one-shot issues... I grabbed Amazing Spider-Man #50 ("Spider-Man No More") and the Batman Mad Love issue.

ilduclo 06.15.2016 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilduclo

Frontiers: The Epic of South Africa's Creation and the Tragedy of the Xhosa People. Noel Mostert

one of the best history writers I've read, along with Barbara Tuchman

about 1/3 thru this now, still excellent!

tesla69 06.15.2016 10:15 AM

Andrew Vachss "Drawing Dead"

!@#$%! 06.15.2016 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove

update

so i haven't hated it but last night i'm trying to read it and i'm reading it but it's just words.

so then i get cosmopolis which is right next to it and i start reading it and it looks like just words

by words i mean thoughts. i'm tired of thoughts. rattling inside people's heads. mostly mine

so then i went online and started looking at various versions & translations of the heart sutra and that finally got me going

Rob Instigator 06.15.2016 11:47 AM

Plotlessness is literary masturbation by those who have no story to tell.

!@#$%! 06.15.2016 09:55 PM

Quote:

Plotlessness is literary masturbation by those who have no story to tell.

was that directed at delillo or did you just mean it in general?