Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Last Album You Bought? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=91)

noisereductions 04.29.2009 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viewtiful_alan

HOW IS IT?????

gmku 04.29.2009 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Earl Of Slander
Inspired by a combination of the Dylan discussion in the "If Only [x] Was Their Final Album" thread, having just listened to "Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands" in the car this morning, being crushed by the amount of work I have to do, and breaking up with my girlfriend, I decided to say "fuck it" and finally got a copy of "Blonde on Blonde" on vinyl. I can now tick that off my list of "all time unimpeachable favourites that I don't have on vinyl yet".

By the time I finish (if I finish) my essay tonight and slump at what will probably be 2 AM with this at top volume, I may well be a total wreck.

The guilty undertaker sighs,
The lonesome organ grinder cries,
The silver saxophones say I should refuse you.
The cracked bells and washed-out horns
Blow into my face with scorn,
But it's not that way,
I wasn't born to lose you.
I want you, I want you,
I want you so bad,
Honey, I want you.

Great choice for vinyl, mostly because of the iconic cover. Is that mono or stereo reissue? I have both plus a cheesy 80s reissue.

viewtiful_alan 04.29.2009 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
HOW IS IT?????

Just finished the first track and I"m digging it. Its deffinitley got a different feel than the last 3, but can kind of be viewed as another twist on the overall framework that tied those together (a bit of a tour of old americana music) this time with some latin, bordertown influence. I'll give my thoughts on the whole thing later today in the what are you listening to thread after I've finished it.

uhler 04.29.2009 04:01 PM

noisereductions 04.29.2009 06:49 PM

Onani Nic 04.30.2009 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uhler

That's my number one album ever!

Today:
GG Allin - Always Was, Is And Always Shal Be LP
New Bomb Turks - Destroy Oh Boy LP
Death In June - The Guilty Have No Pride CD/DVD
Pink Reason - Borrowed Time 7"

Florya 04.30.2009 07:41 AM

Hammock - Stranded Under Endless Sky

Silver_Rocket 04.30.2009 11:46 AM

i have downloaded a few but last cd i bought was a nice 2 disc and dvd edition of the chemical brothers singles 93-03

and before that beck - odelay and blur - ST

The Earl Of Slander 04.30.2009 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmku
Great choice for vinyl, mostly because of the iconic cover. Is that mono or stereo reissue? I have both plus a cheesy 80s reissue.

It's a recent UK stereo pressing, from the original stereo mixes, not the revised mixes from the 70s. Also, it really is an album that benefits hugely from vinyl, and not just for the cover. It gives his voice this particular quality that just somehow makes it even more incredible. Which, prior to buying it, I wouldn’t have thought was possible. I can’t honestly tell whether the vinyl does make that much of a difference, or if it’s just that I’ve changed since I last played it loud and really concentrated. It’s something of a personal measuring stick for me, and it seems to change every time I hear it, which is partially why I love it so much. But LP definitely seems to be the format that suits it best.

gmku 04.30.2009 08:30 PM

I urge you to keep your eyes out for the mono version on the Sundazed LP reissue. It's even more incredible.

But I like the UK LP too. It has a nice sound, and in the gatefold, it includes the original layout with famous photo that was later deleted.

marpat 04.30.2009 08:35 PM

Condo.Fucks / Fuckbook.

Florya 05.01.2009 03:22 AM

Ruby Throat - The Ventriloquist

The Earl Of Slander 05.01.2009 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmku
I urge you to keep your eyes out for the mono version on the Sundazed LP reissue. It's even more incredible.

But I like the UK LP too. It has a nice sound, and in the gatefold, it includes the original layout with famous photo that was later deleted.

Sadly no, not in my edition. It's the 7 photo layout with the enlarged picture of Dyaln wearing a white scarf, not the 9 photo layout with Cardinale.

whereboysfeartotread 05.01.2009 07:50 AM

Horses - Patti Smith

gmku 05.01.2009 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Earl Of Slander
Sadly no, not in my edition. It's the 7 photo layout with the enlarged picture of Dyaln wearing a white scarf, not the 9 photo layout with Cardinale.

Oh, I wonder if I got this mixed up. I'll have to check at home tonight. It may be the Sundazed version that has this. Or maybe I got a different UK release than yours. Mine's from Simply Vinyl. Or since I bought it a couple years ago, maybe they've since had to remove the photo again.

Florya 05.01.2009 10:25 AM

Throbbing Gristle - The Third Mind Movements.

[Sandbag] 05.01.2009 11:13 AM

jandek on shuffle
:]

Florya 05.01.2009 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor

Nice.

viewtiful_alan 05.01.2009 10:05 PM

Both of these used for a grand total of $5:

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 05.01.2009 10:25 PM

King Crimson- In the Court of the Crimson King

I found at a flea market for seven dollars.