Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   The Mighty Football Thread (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=15453)

demonrail666 06.09.2014 03:26 PM

Choosing the squad was like pulling teeth. I bought just three three vaguely reliable names and was immedietely left loading up on Iranians.

h8kurdt 06.09.2014 03:31 PM

If Iran do well we'll be laughing. There's probably more chance of Rupert Murdoch turning out to be a lass...but there's a chance...

Bertrand 06.09.2014 03:48 PM

Sissoko will probably be used as a sub; Valbuena's a passer and costs the same. Small framed, but a starter.

I have lots of Algerians and Iranians, plus guys I have never heard of from Honduras.

I have not spent everything. There's an extra unit in case I feel the need to change all over again.

demonrail666 06.09.2014 03:52 PM

Iran could become a cult team cos of this. 1000s around the world quietly cheering them on.

h8kurdt 06.09.2014 04:17 PM

As many as that?

I say bring on another Iran/U.S.A game.

demonrail666 06.09.2014 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i deciphered the rules but i have yet to understand how to have a suitable strategy.

last time i played this i did it all wrong by banking everything on gomez.

Just looked again and was wrong. you can't transfer new players into your squad till the knockouts but you can switch players in and out of your starting xi ... i think.

!@#$%! 06.09.2014 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
Just looked again and was wrong. you can't transfer new players into your squad till the knockouts but you can switch players in and out of your starting xi ... i think.

yes yes-- thanks.

it's like this:

you're locked with your 23 during the group stage.

you choose 11 for every round. 3 rounds for group stage.

during each round, you can sub underperformers with those who haven't played in that round yet, but you lose any points with the subbed player.

the next round you choose your starting 11 again.

at the end of groups it's unlimited transfers, not sure at what cost, and prices won't change (a pity, cuz you could play them like the stock market).

_slavo_ 06.10.2014 03:23 AM

i have created my team now, my login name is "slavoh", joined the SYG league too.

though, the rules seem curious to me. you have 100k Money and you need to book 23 players, not a player less.

no matter how I tried, I have to stick to 11 more or less top quality players, but ALL THE REST is just fillers from Algeria/Iran/Honduras. No good or even medium quality subs.

How can I then sub my players, if there's noone to sub?

This seems poorly done, compared to the Fantasy League of the last Euro cup.

!@#$%! 06.10.2014 07:56 AM

i'm "juppjuppjupp"

demonrail666 06.10.2014 11:47 AM

The budget does make it really difficult but by limiting myself to just a couple of pretty big names I've managed to pick (hopefully) starters from the lower teams. Things'll get more fun once the group stage is over.

Trying to work out if there's a US player worth taking a punt on.

Bertrand 06.10.2014 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_
i have created my team now, my login name is "slavoh", joined the SYG league too.

though, the rules seem curious to me. you have 100k Money and you need to book 23 players, not a player less.

no matter how I tried, I have to stick to 11 more or less top quality players, but ALL THE REST is just fillers from Algeria/Iran/Honduras. No good or even medium quality subs.

Slavo! Slavo! Slavo! Grrreat!

I don't see how anyone could do differently.
I'd say I have 3 good defenders, one who might be if the papers are right, and filler (2 starters I bet among the fillers)
My midfield is solid, with only 2 guys out of 8 who will seldom play, and 1 I have no idea...
1 filler only among the forwards, with a couple of low budget bets.

Quote:

it's like this:

you're locked with your 23 during the group stage.

you choose 11 for every round. 3 rounds for group stage.

during each round, you can sub underperformers with those who haven't played in that round yet, but you lose any points with the subbed player.

the next round you choose your starting 11 again.

This rule I costly passed by during the latest tournament.
I'd say it should be taken into account when you hesitate between two players you're not particularly fond of.
Picking fodder from group A will not be risky. Let the guy play, gather nada, you'll replace him by some bloke from Germany later on.

My starters are thus not meant to stay there, unless something magic happens.
I don't think you can switch from 4-4-2 to 3-4-3 though.

Unfortunately, Iran, Algeria and Honduras don't play their games soon enough. Australians are too expensive (they got thrashed by France during a friendly, they were fed up with their coach and wanted a new one I guess).

Quote:

i'm "juppjuppjupp"

How come this can be so articulate?

Bertrand 06.10.2014 12:07 PM

Quote:

The budget does make it really difficult but by limiting myself to just a couple of pretty big names I've managed to pick (hopefully) starters from the lower teams. Things'll get more fun once the group stage is over.

Trying to work out if there's a US player worth taking a punt on.

My fave American is too expensive.
His father used to be the national coach.

Anyone has clues regarding Bedoya?

demonrail666 06.10.2014 12:50 PM

Based on what I've read I don't think he's a guaranteed starter.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.10.2014 01:17 PM

Quote:

Based on what I've read I don't think he's a guaranteed starter.

He's not. The US is not a fantasy team, they're like the NBA Spurs of international soccer, no glamor and no stat monsters, just team play. Like I mentioned in the basketball thread, I don't like fantasy leagues, I think it takes away from what I enjoy about watching a match or a game. I like to make predictions, but not live or die by stat based predictions. I'd rather just enjoy a match/game for what it is in that moment, and reflect on the stats afterward without necessarily having an predictions to stand by. Sure, I make predictions about stats, often they are spot on, the times they're not mean a player usually exploded so its a pleasant surprise. If a player shits the bed, it already is what it is, don't need further disappointment with a fantasy sabotage to boot.

!@#$%! 06.10.2014 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bertrand
How come this can be so articulate?

http://youtu.be/5yyIFV4pilE

demonrail666 06.10.2014 02:11 PM

Some great stuff for the WC on the Zonal Marking site.

http://www.zonalmarking.net/

The guy seriously deserves a knighthood

h8kurdt 06.10.2014 03:20 PM

Quote:

Some great stuff for the WC on the Zonal Marking site.

http://www.zonalmarking.net/

The guy seriously deserves a knighthood

Should've bloody used this for me fantasy football.

Rob Instigator 06.10.2014 03:48 PM

who else is taking Friday off from work to watch 3 matches back to back to baCK?

!@#$%! 06.10.2014 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bertrand
My fave American is too expensive.
His father used to be the national coach.

Anyone has clues regarding Bedoya?

colombiano, plays for nantes, decent.

last time he was subbed at '60 by zusi when playing vs nigeria

i didn't really notice bedoya too much (bradley was indeed the star) but i thought the usa played better when bedoya was on. he had a part in jozy's first goal i think.

then again there were i think 3 substitutions at around '60. things got a bit sloppy after that.

here some fresh info:

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2...united-states/

oh, and match info:

http://www.espnfc.com/gamecast/389009/gamecast.html

i'd suspect he'd be a starter vs. ghana since klinsmann prefers european vs mls players (zusi is mls).

but please first fact-check what i'm saying cuz it might not be 100% accurate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
who else is taking Friday off from work to watch 3 matches back to back to baCK?

what is this "work" you speak of??

Rob Instigator 06.10.2014 04:18 PM

ha!

It involves a lot of degradation and long hours of near-infinite boredom.