Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

jon boy 11.23.2009 02:30 PM

this has always been one of my favourites and watched it yesterday. derek jarman did a lot of the sets and art direction which is also a plus.

noisereductions 11.23.2009 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw2113
I saw that last tuesday and concur. Despite knowing the story like the back of my hand and having seen 15 versions or so, it was enjoyable especially with the 3D part.

Is it just me or did you not hear Jim Carey in the voices? It never sounded like the guy.

Yeah, I've gone to see the play every year for the past 20 or so years. And I've read the book, and seen countless film versions. So I really know the story (and dialogue) well. And yet, I loved this version of it. Fantastic.

He did a great job. Though I could tell his voice in the Ghost of Christmas Present. Not the others. But his face was very obvious in the Ghost of Christmas Past.

Anyway, highly recommended, especially if you can see in in 3D.

The Earl Of Slander 11.23.2009 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I did not finish it. I could not bring myself top give a flying FUCK about any of the stupid, idiotic, reprehensible, morons in this fucking waste of time. I got maybe 45 minutes in.

I basically forced myself to finish it on the grounds that it's a film I kind of need to have a legitimately formed opinion on, but that was pretty much my gut reaction, and I ended up wishing I'd gone with it...

Dr. Eugene Felikson 11.23.2009 08:07 PM

The original Robocop is outstanding, it's a shame that the sequels are such piss.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 11.24.2009 03:56 PM

I finally got a chance to see it, and man, oh man, was it a blast! I had such high hopes going into this, and was not let down in any way. I can't believe I've let Henenlotter's wor escape me for so long. This, and Frankenhooker, had been on my list of "flicks to see" far longer than they should've been.

How do the sequels hold up to the original?

noisereductions 11.24.2009 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson

I finally got a chance to see it, and man, oh man, was it a blast! I had such high hopes going into this, and was not let down in any way. I can't believe I've let Henenlotter's wor escape me for so long. This, and Frankenhooker, had been on my list of "flicks to see" far longer than they should've been.

How do the sequels hold up to the original?

Well, the original is the best, but anything by Frank H is gold. If you haven't seen Brain Damage or Frankenhooker yet, see those next. Seriously. Both completely brilliant.

atsonicpark 11.24.2009 05:43 PM

All Henenlotter rules, Brain Damage is the best though.

noisereductions 11.24.2009 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
All Henenlotter rules, Brain Damage is the best though.

co-sign. Almer is the shit.

kaitlynmazur 11.24.2009 07:36 PM

school for scoundrels and the breakfast club. both good imo.

tw2113 11.24.2009 09:33 PM

I'm now anticipating the Avatar movie by James Cameron

The Earl Of Slander 11.24.2009 09:43 PM

AMAZING! Review here.

Skuj 11.25.2009 12:55 AM

Resnais, Night + Fog. Not sure if it counts as a "movie". Fucking unforgettable.

Skuj 11.25.2009 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw2113
I'm now anticipating the Avatar movie by James Cameron

I'm not.

Aliens was good, but I gave up on him ever since Titanic - the most over-rated film ever.

atsonicpark 11.25.2009 01:05 AM

James Cameron is still directing films?

*edit* Just looked up this trailer, looks terrible. God, cinema is awful nowadays. The only interesting looking mainstream film to come out all year, BAD LIEUTENANT: PORT OF CALL NEW ORLEANS, didn't play in any local theaters because they had to make room for 4 screenings of whatever the fuck Twilight is.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 11.25.2009 02:04 AM

The sad thing is, he's supposedly been working on this 'Avatar' garbage for over a decade.

*sigh*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeV-DI09Q3w

The Earl Of Slander 11.25.2009 04:02 AM

Quote:

*edit* Just looked up this trailer, looks terrible. God, cinema is awful nowadays. The only interesting looking mainstream film to come out all year, BAD LIEUTENANT: PORT OF CALL NEW ORLEANS, didn't play in any local theaters because they had to make room for 4 screenings of whatever the fuck Twilight is.

As someone who goes completely gaga for Herzog, and has for years been that one guy in the room who counters mocking of Nicholas Cage with cries of "but he used to be fantastic!", Bad Lieutenant looks amazing! So psyched to see it. That and A Serious Man are basically all I'm anticipating.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 11.25.2009 04:04 AM

a-p a. niemi 11.25.2009 01:18 PM

Kind of like a finnish Mad Max with HEAWY MEDAL MUSIK YEAH

Keeping It Simple 11.25.2009 02:57 PM

Quote:

I hope you're being sarcastic.

atsonicpark 11.25.2009 03:05 PM

...?

Keeping It Simple 11.25.2009 03:08 PM

Quote:

...?

Your taste in movies genuinely sucks?! :eek:

!@#$%! 11.25.2009 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keeping It Simple
I hope you're being sarcastic.

james cameron is a horrible shithead blowhard of a filmmaker

perhaps in his personal life he's a cool motherfucker, and no doubt he commands a lot of industry power, but i'm afraid it's all wasted in the making of mass-pleasing turds. he's to directors what jerry fucking bruckheimer is to producers.

the new bad lieutenant is a werner herzog movie-- i don't know if he's ever made a film turd-- ok, that stupid movie in the desert is a bit dull if you are not in the right mindset, with the popol vuh text, but it's pretty low key he didn't waste a bazillion dollars in it.

wellcharge 11.25.2009 03:21 PM

i thought james cameron must have done some good stuff, but i looked him up on imdb and it appears to be 100% shit

Keeping It Simple 11.25.2009 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
james cameron is a horrible shithead blowhard of a filmmaker

perhaps in his personal life he's a cool motherfucker, and no doubt he commands a lot of industry power, but i'm afraid it's all wasted in the making of mass-pleasing turds. he's to directors what jerry fucking bruckheimer is to producers.

the new bad lieutenant is a werner herzog movie-- i don't know if he's ever made a film turd-- ok, that stupid movie in the desert is a bit dull if you are not in the right mindset, with the popol vuh text, but it's pretty low key he didn't waste a bazillion dollars in it.

Werner Herzog is clearly popular with the clique of contrived cineastes who go for all that arty farty, existential crap. Thank God for the likes of James Cameron.

The Earl Of Slander 11.25.2009 03:39 PM

Quote:

Your taste in movies genuinely sucks?! :eek:

Quote:

werner herzog movie

Yeah, are you implying that liking Werner Herzog implies terrible taste? Because if so, what the fuck? I mean I would generally say that being into Herzog is one of the best tests there is for seeing at a glance if someone has GOOD taste in movies...

EDIT: When I wrote this, Keeping It Simple had not posted a reply.

The Earl Of Slander 11.25.2009 03:40 PM

Quote:

Werner Herzog is clearly popular with the clique of contrived cineastes who go for all that arty farty, existential crap.

What Herzog films have you actually taken the time to watch carfully all the way through?

Keeping It Simple 11.25.2009 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Earl Of Slander
Yeah, are you implying that liking Werner Herzog implies terrible taste? Because if so, what the fuck? I mean I would generally say that being into Herzog is one of the best tests there is for seeing at a glance if someone has GOOD taste in movies...

Yeah. Does people having opposite views spook you?

!@#$%! 11.25.2009 03:43 PM

Quote:

EDIT: When I wrote this, Keeping It Simple had not posted a reply.

no, no, i fucking love herzog-- maybe not that desert movie though-- FATA MORGANA-- yeah. i mean it has beautiful shots but i inevitably sleep.

that's what i was saying (in a way), that adam's reply wasn't sarcasm (loving bad lieutenant and hating cameron)-- it's perfectly right to do that.

james cameron is a fucking turd. his best work was probably the screenplay to strange days, which he didn't direct and it's not 100% bad thanks mostly to juliette lewis.

Keeping It Simple 11.25.2009 03:45 PM

Quote:

What Herzog films have you actually taken the time to watch carfully all the way through?

When you read "Herzog's films have received considerable critical acclaim and achieved popularity on the art house circuit", you know what to expect when you see a movie of his.

Rob Instigator 11.25.2009 03:50 PM

if he had directed strange days it would have sucked far more than it did.

Cameron can write a good flick

Rambo, terminator, aliens, terminator 2, true lies, strange days,

Keeping It Simple 11.25.2009 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wellcharge
i thought james cameron must have done some good stuff, but i looked him up on imdb and it appears to be 100% shit

"The Terminator", "Aliens", "Terminator 2: Judgment Day", "True Lies" and "Titanic" are shit? Get real, pseud.

!@#$%! 11.25.2009 04:01 PM

Quote:

"The Terminator", "Aliens", "Terminator 2: Judgment Day", "True Lies" and "Titanic" are shit? Get real, pseud.

the first terminator is a good b movie. lots of chases. bleep bleep bleep. run run run. i see you with my laser eye.

terminator 2-- blegh. all special effects and no substance.

aliens - a spectacle of explosions and crapola and a terrible sequel to the original riddley scott's alien which was a great little movie when it came out

true lies-- a total piece of shit promoting cartoonish american suburban lifestyles and painting a-rabs as the stereotypical villains. pathetic.

titanic -- kate winslet is hot, i adore her-- let the other fuckers die

Keeping It Simple 11.25.2009 04:06 PM

Quote:

the first terminator is a good b movie. lots of chases. bleep bleep bleep. run run run. i see you with my laser eye.

terminator 2-- blegh. all special effects and no substance.

aliens - a spectacle of explosions and crapola and a terrible sequel to the original riddley scott's alien which was a great little movie when it came out

true lies-- a total piece of shit promoting cartoonish american suburban lifestyles and painting a-rabs as the stereotypical villains. pathetic.

titanic -- kate winslet is hot, i adore her-- let the other fuckers die

It must bruise your bloated ego knowing nobody else agrees with you.

Rob Instigator 11.25.2009 04:11 PM

aside from the cocksmear that played the kid, terminator 2 is a fucking GREAT movie. it deals with so much more than the first one which was a great cyberpunk thriller.

aliens is one of the very few sequels that equals or even outdoes the original.

true lies is what Bond would be if he were american. I thought it was very witty and funny and is the first movie to actually show what a Harrier jump jet really does.

titanic was a movie for old women. it seemd like his attempt to make a grand film like gone with the wind and shit, but I wanted to see kate winslet's full thick bush.

atsonicpark 11.25.2009 04:12 PM

I'm not even going to get into a debate about my "tastes". All I know is, Herzog is a real director. As in, not pretentious, takes chances, puts himself on the line for his art.. I don't enjoy everything he's done, granted, but Fata Morgana, Aguirre, and Heart of Glass alone blow away almost every other movie I have ever seen. One of the best directors of all time. Cameron is interesting, because he's actually quite a good director, see Aliens and the first Terminator, two jaw-dropping films that I hold dear to my heart. Still, he hasn't made anything I enjoy watching since Terminator 2 (granted he hasn't exactly made that many movies, PERIOD)... but, yeah, Avatar looks... like something that wouldn't appeal to me.

I re-watched Squid and the Whale. 8/10. don't you remember the last line of Godard's "A Bout De Souffle"? Belmondo calls Seberg a bitch. "Degolas." We saw it at the Thalia with the Dicksteins. I got you in for the children's price. You were pregnant with Walt.

As far as movies (not mainstream) that came out this year that I enjoyed... Thirst, Esoterica, Singularity Session, The Check Out, The Hanging Garden, K-Corea Inc, Sibling Topics, Malika S'est Envolee were all cool. I forgot that I saw Zombieland and liked it, though it wasn't exactly anything groundbreaking.

atsonicpark 11.25.2009 04:17 PM

Oh, watched this too, almost forgot..

HARDCORE (what a great poster) - 6/10

I dig Paul Schrader but this movie was just missing something. Good writing and a great atmosphere but it just didn't do much. I dunno.

fugazifan 11.25.2009 04:24 PM

Quote:

When you read "Herzog's films have received considerable critical acclaim and achieved popularity on the art house circuit", you know what to expect when you see a movie of his.

seriously? this might be the most ignorant thing written on this board. herzog's movies are extremely intelligent poetic films which almost deal with anti philosophy rather than coming out with a straight ahead point (this regarding your existential remark)
what i would expect from that quote is a wes anderson type movie, so obiously we do not "know what to expect"
i hope that you were joking, that is why i gave you the benefit of the doubt and didnt neg rep you.

and in honor of herzog
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5D-VQMJ6jw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7hGx...eature=related
nothing beats herzogs static shots of nature with baroque music
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4llQd...eature=related
and another brilliant scene of nature accompanied by some of the finest music ever written
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkAI9kALWss

now im going back to watching the bergman movie that i was watching

Keeping It Simple 11.25.2009 04:25 PM

You've opened a can of worms by saying Herzog is a "real" director.

Keeping It Simple 11.25.2009 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fugazifan
seriously? this might be the most ignorant thing written on this board. herzog's movies are extremely intelligent poetic films which almost deal with anti philosophy rather than coming out with a straight ahead point (this regarding your existential remark)
what i would expect from that quote is a wes anderson type movie, so obiously we do not "know what to expect"
i hope that you were joking, that is why i gave you the benefit of the doubt and didnt neg rep you.

and in honor of herzog
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5D-VQMJ6jw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7hGx...eature=related
nothing beats herzogs static shots of nature with baroque music
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4llQd...eature=related
and another brilliant scene of nature accompanied by some of the finest music ever written
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkAI9kALWss

now im going back to watching the bergman movie that i was watching

Yeah, wouldn't wanna get "neg repped" by a Herzog fanboy. :rolleyes:

!@#$%! 11.25.2009 04:38 PM

Quote:

It must bruise your bloated ego knowing nobody else agrees with you.

you're crazy projectin', i don't give a shit. matter of fact i like rob lots though we often disagree on a lot of things, atsonicpark same thing (he likes fata morgana, i fall asleep to it, he also likes gory shit i dislike).

you're the one bringing on the twattery by making ad-hominems against people who disagree with you instead of arguing your point. but if you must know, no, my ego doesn't get bruised when people disagree with me-- it grows even more fabulous in the realization of its rarity and exquisiteness--- haa ha ha haa. (that was a joke-- just in case you didn't get it).

but seriously, why are you so in need of other people's agreement? the fun of discussion is to see other people's points of view and making yours. don't get butthurt just cuz i hate your idol's work. you should thank me for showing you a perception of the universe that's never occurred to you-- that james cameron is indeed a hammy fuck with a lot of money.

i gotta go do some food shopping so i'll reply later if you retort here.