Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

Rob Instigator 12.02.2008 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
This might lose me some respect or something, but I've always thought that Scarface is a bad movie. I think the acting and script are awful. Just me?

yep. just you. Scarface is a fucking genius great movie.
the dialogue is excellent, the acting is excellent. cubanos getting murdered, excellent. fucking awesome.

noisereductions 12.02.2008 12:46 PM

I should note that I'm not a fan of like mob movies or crime dramas or whatever. I dnt like The Sopranos or any of that crap, so it's not really that shocking that I dn't like Scarface. Or Scarface posters. Or Scarface TWIY moneyclips. Or Scarface video games. Or what have you.

mangajunky 12.02.2008 01:06 PM

I'm baffled by people that don't like gangster flix.

noisereductions 12.02.2008 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mangajunky
I'm baffled by people that don't like gangster flix.

because everybody should have the same exact interests?

fugazifan 12.02.2008 03:15 PM

thanks to !@#$%'s recomendations i saw a rohmer flick today. i saw my night at maudes. it was very good. very very good. very slow at times, but quite rewarding none the less

afterthefact 12.02.2008 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fugazifan
thanks to !@#$%'s recomendations i saw a rohmer flick today. i saw my night at maudes. it was very good. very very good. very slow at times, but quite rewarding none the less

I've had that in my Netflix queue for a while now. Should I bump it up?

mangajunky 12.02.2008 03:37 PM

Quote:

because everybody should have the same exact interests?

eXACTly

ha ha!

!@#$%! 12.02.2008 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fugazifan

please get the criterion version of these movies-- they include awesome interviews and additional materials.

if you can watch them in order also, there is a big payoff, as you get to appreciate the themes + variations scheme.

night at maud's is actually #4?

1- the baker girl of monceau
2 - suzann'es career
3 - my night at maud's
4 - the collector (this was shot before night at maud's but it's #4-- i don't undesrtand why.
5 - claire's knee
6 - love in the afternoon (also a billy wilder title, do not confuse).

#1 and #2 are a bit clunky but set the tone. they are all the same movie, ha ha ha, well the same theme, over & over, with GREAT variations.

this is recommended for people who like movies of ideas, e.g., "filmed conversations". think of neil labutte or some of linklatter's movies (e.g. before sunrise) or cassavettes. they can be a little hard to watch, especially if you don't speak french and have to read subtitles, oy! but totally worth it. the cinematography especially when nestor almendros enters is fucking great (films #3 and up).

afterthefact, if you have netflix, get all 6, and start with #1-- yes it will look like a student movie, but there will be a delayed reward when youve watched them all.

tw2113 12.02.2008 04:19 PM

I saw Scarface once, which is more than enough for my lifetime

noisereductions 12.02.2008 04:23 PM

maybe the only time I've repped someone with under 1k posts.

viewtiful_alan 12.02.2008 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
yep. just you. Scarface is a fucking genius great movie.
the dialogue is excellent, the acting is excellent. cubanos getting murdered, excellent. fucking awesome.

Gotta admit though.. that 'making progress montage' with that god awful "push it to the limit" song really put a dent in it for me, by the end I'd forgotten it.. but it still stung XD

tw2113 12.02.2008 07:48 PM

Quote:

maybe the only time I've repped someone with under 1k posts.

trying to work on that post total thing.

atsonicpark 12.03.2008 12:45 AM

sleepers - 7/10

fugazifan 12.03.2008 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
please get the criterion version of these movies-- they include awesome interviews and additional materials.

if you can watch them in order also, there is a big payoff, as you get to appreciate the themes + variations scheme.

night at maud's is actually #4?

1- the baker girl of monceau
2 - suzann'es career
3 - my night at maud's
4 - the collector (this was shot before night at maud's but it's #4-- i don't undesrtand why.
5 - claire's knee
6 - love in the afternoon (also a billy wilder title, do not confuse).

#1 and #2 are a bit clunky but set the tone. they are all the same movie, ha ha ha, well the same theme, over & over, with GREAT variations.

this is recommended for people who like movies of ideas, e.g., "filmed conversations". think of neil labutte or some of linklatter's movies (e.g. before sunrise) or cassavettes. they can be a little hard to watch, especially if you don't speak french and have to read subtitles, oy! but totally worth it. the cinematography especially when nestor almendros enters is fucking great (films #3 and up).

afterthefact, if you have netflix, get all 6, and start with #1-- yes it will look like a student movie, but there will be a delayed reward when youve watched them all.

ok, ill start from the beginning now. i think the 1st two come in the same dvd set...

me. 12.03.2008 02:58 AM

Paprika -
Not ground breaking, but really enjoyable - will track down Perfect Blue.

and

Takeshis' -
Really good to remind myself of his genius, this is great in so many different ways, will check the other two new ones of his.

atsonicpark 12.03.2008 03:01 AM

I have takeshis' and I love it, I really want his other 2 but I dunno how to get them. The cheapest price for Glory to the Filmmaker is like $35!

atsonicpark 12.03.2008 06:34 AM

ultrachrist - 4/10

palindromes - 7/10

atsonicpark 12.03.2008 08:50 AM

storytelling - 9/10

noisereductions 12.03.2008 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark

storytelling - 9/10

9? Really? I liked it. I thought it was one of his better films. But I dnt know. It's been a while. I remember that the "black bar" scene bugged me.

atsonicpark 12.03.2008 09:41 AM

Yeah, 9. An 8.5 really but... It's brilliant. One of the most interesting films, from beginning to end, I've ever watched. It was a red bar by the way. The MPAA wanted it cut out completely but the director compromised with a huge red box, which makes the whole thing even more absurd and hilarious.