Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

noisereductions 01.28.2010 08:20 AM

FTW!

Keeping It Simple 01.28.2010 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions

FTW!

Is Fred Savage the son of Lily Savage?

stu666 01.28.2010 08:51 AM

atsonicpark 01.28.2010 11:00 AM

Favorite Chainsaw Massacre is "The Next Generation". 2 is alright, too. Most of 'em bore the shit out of me.

The Wizard.. memories.

noisereductions 01.28.2010 11:08 AM

Texas Chainsaw Massacre - 5/5
Texas Chainsaw 2 - 3/5
Leatherface - 3/5
Next Generation - 2/5
Remake - 1/5
The Beginning - 3/5

The Wizard rules. Jenny Lewis rules. SMB3 rules.

chicka 01.28.2010 12:19 PM

Maggie the Cat and Britt in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. All the players were excellent in this one imo.

atsonicpark 01.28.2010 02:55 PM

Next Generation is by far the best. "GO GET HER LEATHER! GET DAT BITCH!"

"VILMER AHHHHHH!"

The dude with the big rings on his skin who licks Zelweger's face.. genius.

Keeping It Simple 01.28.2010 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stu666

Tom Hardy was cast as Mad Max for the fourth movie of the series. :)

Torn Curtain 01.29.2010 05:59 PM

Good.

DeadDiscoDildo 01.29.2010 06:21 PM

Dunno if I ever saw the Wizard but my memories of the Savage brothers is "Little Monsters".

Both Fred and Ben (boy meets world) were in it...

BeltofVenus 01.30.2010 03:46 AM

Oh man The Wizard is sooo bad ass.

"I love the power glove it's so bad" + lame I'm soooo cool pose

Anyway the last movie for me is Easy Rider.
The whole time I kept thinking "When is anything going to happen?"
Then towards the end everything made sense and I ended up watching it again.

Derek 01.30.2010 05:08 AM

Audition - 7/10
Spider - 7/10

Going to be watching Park Chan-Wook's Thirst tonight with my girlfriend I think. Good times.

ann ashtray 01.30.2010 05:22 AM

Funny Games - 3/5

Antagon 01.30.2010 05:44 AM

stu666 01.30.2010 06:01 AM

TheFoxBen 01.30.2010 12:42 PM

7/10. It's the first movie from Kaurismäki I watch and well... The dialogues are so absurd and uncomfortable, it sounds like a dream or something, really. It was a good movie though.

8/10. My rating may increase. Woody Allen really is a great director and this movie is one of the many proofs of his genius. Just watch it.

atsonicpark 01.30.2010 03:23 PM

Kaurismäki rules. My favorites (keep in mind I've only seen 9 of his films) are Aeriel, Lights in the Dusk, and Drifting Clouds.

TheFoxBen 01.30.2010 06:36 PM

Yeah I should check out more of his stuff.

And I've just seen :

6/10. I don't care what Spielberg said about this movie. It's not original at all, watch Cloverfield (which is awesome) or even Blair Witch instead of this. It was kinda entertaining but the "day parts" were quite boring and useless. Also, it wasn't really scary.

BeltofVenus 01.30.2010 06:50 PM

I thought Paranormal Activity was pretty good, but also pretty cheesy.
I kept wondering if it was some weird metaphor for feminism.

The theater I saw it in was horribly bad however. Everyone in the theater seemed to contribute to amazing bro-esque phrases.

Every minute or so:
"Nice tits!!!"

At the end all the bro dudes got super scared. The one in front of me said that he really wanted to get out of the theater.
I told him "aww are you afraid of the dark?"
They were looking at me like I was an inconsiderate jerk when they left...

Derek 01.30.2010 07:09 PM

Thirst - 6/10... Chan-Wook Park fan but not much of a vampire fan.

atsonicpark 01.30.2010 10:07 PM

Yeah, Thirst is pretty much a waste of time, it's WAY too fucking long. If it wasn't for the fact that he is technically an amazing director, it'd be worthless. He'll never do anything as good as Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance again.

Paranormal Activity.. caught about half of it at my girlfriend's house, and thought it was one of the worst things I've ever seen.

I watched:

surveillance - 6/10

David Lynch's daughter's stupid new movie is fun and entertaining and funny at times, and actually quite well-directed. Just don't take it too seriously, because it is also seriously retarded in every imaginable way and ultimately unsatisfying and doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense. Still, a clever (though Rashomon-inspired) concept and the thing is kinda exciting at times so what the hell. Nice face explosion too.

shortbus - 6/10

Some interesting shots, like the guy jerking off into his own mouth, but kinda felt like a waste of time. I'd rather watch an Araki film or something when it comes to frank, bizarre, somewhat surreal, extremely sexual movies.

taste of cherry - 7/10

One of the slowest and least-involving films I've ever seen, yet I have a feeling it's going to be one of those that sticks with me for a while.

exotica - 7/10

You never know where this one is going. It's quite similiar to a lot of Atom Egoyan's work, in how it's kinda detached and fragmented but also seems to have a strong interest in spirituality, underneath the surface of its sometimes-ugly coldness. All in all, the film just came off as downright WEIRD at times, yet with a strange maturity. It left me scratching my head and was ultimately a bit unsatisfying but I liked it well enough.

Also re-watched WHY DOES HERR R. RUN AMOK (8/10), MAN WHO WASN'T THERE (8/10), KAZAAM (6/10), and BAISE MOI (5/10).

Also saw some cool docs.. Helvetica and Manufactured Landscapes.. good stuff.

Assembly 01.31.2010 02:30 AM

Watched David Mamet's Homicide last night. However, still reeling from Anti-Christ.

sonic sphere 01.31.2010 09:20 AM

artsygrrl 01.31.2010 10:09 AM

TheFoxBen 01.31.2010 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark

exotica - 7/10

It's the only Atom Egoyan movie I've seen but I loved it, what else would you recommend ?

DanielCarlson 01.31.2010 11:50 AM

2/10 Luc Besson sucks.

9/10 Luc Godard rules.

One of the best Godard movies I've seen. It has to be one of his most bizarre. There are so many fantastic scenes in it, I don't know where to start. The extremely daring sex describing scene in the beginning (I mean, this was back in the 60's after all), flows into the fantastic traffic scene, and from there on it just continues. So funny. So many great and twisted characters. Jean-Pierre Léaud in a phone booth. I love it.

8/10 Such a beautiful movie, I like this kind of road movie. It feels a bit like Lolita, but without all the sexual tension between the man and the girl. It also reminds me a bit of another Wim Wenders movie, Paris Texas,
but still with it's own identity.

10/10 The only positive thing with that a friend forced me to re-watch Subway was that it reminded me of Isabelle Adjani and her role in Possession. So I watched it again. It was just as good this time as the first time, one of the best movies I've ever seen. Andrzej Zulawski is one of the most underrated directors ever.

Derek 01.31.2010 12:14 PM

I really really like Possession.

atsonicpark 01.31.2010 02:20 PM

POSSESSION is in my top 5 films of all time... week end is probably in my top 20.

Re: Atom, I really like FAMILY VIEWING, NEXT OF KIN, SPEAKING PARTS, ADJUSTER, SWEET HEREAFTER...

DanielCarlson 01.31.2010 03:31 PM

Possession is absolutely mind-blowing. More people should also check out Zulawski's Diabel, The Third Part of the Night and The Silver Globe for some fantastic movies.

Torn Curtain 01.31.2010 04:31 PM

I was really disappointed by Exotica.

Pookie 01.31.2010 04:59 PM

Thought it was about time my daughter was introduced to a bit of Svankmajer:

atsonicpark 01.31.2010 05:02 PM

Trying to scare the shit out of her?

Pookie 01.31.2010 05:07 PM

She loved it. What's a few nightmares to a six year old anyway.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 01.31.2010 05:53 PM

There are a lot of seemingly outstanding films posted on this page that I really need to check out.

noisereductions 01.31.2010 07:14 PM

as mentioned above:

1. Blair Witch Project - intersting film. I still like it.
2. Cloverfield -shit
3. Paranormal Activity - letdown

bonus:

4. Last Broadcast - shit.

atsonicpark 01.31.2010 07:21 PM

I don't like any of those films at all. I think Blair Witch is sort of an interesting film and the fact that it got wide distribution (for a film anyone with a camcorder could have made, with no skill or talent whatsoever in storytelling, acting, camerawork, writing, production, lighting, etc) is remarkable. Still shit though.

I think the best film like this is a film called SUICIDE, which is a "documentary" about people who are filming themselves right before and during their suicides. It's pretty interesting, though way too long (the main criticms I have with most of these films) but at least remains somewhat compelling and only mildly annoying for some of its length.

Count Mecha 01.31.2010 07:44 PM

8/10. Feels kind of like a biased document though, but whatever the case, it's pretty enjoyable.

5/10 Thought it would be alot better.

alteredcourse 01.31.2010 08:05 PM

I saw Moon a couple weeks ago and I was way too drunk to really pay attention. But looking back, I really like the idea of it. Being so isolated that your alter ego, or should've/could've been ego, actually cripples you.

I know thats not what actually happened (or I dont, cause like I said...) but thats what I remember. And it pains me.

tw2113 02.01.2010 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Count Mecha

8/10. Feels kind of like a biased document though, but whatever the case, it's pretty enjoyable.

The original champion that keeps evading the whole topic became a complete douche to me by the end of this. I wanted to beat him and be all like "man up ya ass"

Count Mecha 02.01.2010 12:33 AM

Oh yeah, he's such a dickhead, such a showboat. Still don't really think that tape was legit. After reading about it though, some of the people involved say that the movie skewed the reality of it a bit. But still, you can deny some of the shit that guy says or does.