Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   what are you listening to? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2)

noisereductions 02.08.2016 04:25 PM

Severian 02.09.2016 01:26 PM

The new DIIV album, Is The is Are. It's actually got a nice vibe to it for a modern indie pop record. Satisfying in that good old Built to Spill-y '90s way.

noisereductions 02.09.2016 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
The new DIIV album, Is The is Are. It's actually got a nice vibe to it for a modern indie pop record. Satisfying in that good old Built to Spill-y '90s way.

soooo weird you brought this up. I listened to it YESTERDAY for no real reason. Never heard them before yesterday. But I randomly gave it a go. And I liked it. But what's weird is I specifically thought "I think sev would like this. I should mention it to him."

Severian 02.09.2016 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
soooo weird you brought this up. I listened to it YESTERDAY for no real reason. Never heard them before yesterday. But I randomly gave it a go. And I liked it. But what's weird is I specifically thought "I think sev would like this. I should mention it to him."

Aww. you got my number man.
I don't love all the songs (some of them have that half baked feel that I didn't like about Deerhunter's Fading Frontier) but some of the songs are very good. The first track has that nice "rolling" kind of feel to it, plenty of momentum... love that. Then there's that song that sounds exactly like a Kim Gordon-sung Evol-era track.

Oddly, it reminds me a bit of the Cure, a bit of Built to Spill, and a bit of Nirvana (just in the kind of sneering bite of the lyrics, if not the actual singing.. Had a bit of Cobain in it).

I like DIIV. I liked them when they were called Dive. They're not outrageously inventive, but they're solid and they kick the ever loving shit out of Real Estate.

God I hate Real Estate. The industry as well as the band. When they got popular for remodeling REM for bored millennials, the bell really started to toll for indie rock.

noisereductions 02.09.2016 11:26 PM

I never even heard of Real Estate. At first I thought you were talking about Sunny Day...

Severian 02.09.2016 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
I never even heard of Real Estate. At first I thought you were talking about Sunny Day...

No, no... It's some bratty bunch of low key whiny fucks who make godforsakenly dull and totally invertebrate indie pop. Pitchfork and the like can't get enough of them. Their last album came out... hmm.. Same week as Rick Ross's Mastermind I think. But yuck. Forget I mentioned them.

Severian 02.09.2016 11:50 PM

Also, I'm really liking this new record by Not Waving.

Anyone know Not Waving?
Very interesting electronic group, with a lot of experimental and noise sensibilities. Dirty factory dancefloor industrial shit. Their new album, Animals, just dropped on 2/5/16 and it's pretty fucking insane.

Severian 02.09.2016 11:59 PM

Not Waving-
They Cannot be Replaced {YouTube}
(A slow burner with an absolutely epic synth part that will fill your brain will hell and nostalgia and beautiful broken things- reminds me a bit of the title track from The Downwars Spiral)

24 - YouTube
(Put on your dirty spazz dancing shoes or take some ketamine and rock out)

Tomorrow we will Kill You - YouTube
(Menacing guitar sample driven downtempo track... This is exciting shit!)

Guy, listen to Not Waving.

The Soup Nazi 02.10.2016 01:26 PM

evollove 02.10.2016 01:34 PM

Severian 02.10.2016 06:32 PM

Listening to all Kanye in preparation for the big day. Today it's Yeezus. Listened to at least one full album every day for the past six days.

The Soup Nazi 02.10.2016 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Listening to all Kanye in preparation for the big day.

The big day when they'll declare rapist Bill Cosby innocent?

Severian 02.10.2016 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
The big day when they'll declare rapist Bill Cosby innocent?

Nope! That muh is guilty as fuck.

Severian 02.10.2016 08:30 PM

Well, I suppose he technically is innocent, in legal terms. As in not "proven" guilty. But I doubt that's what Kanye meant.

The Soup Nazi 02.11.2016 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pepper_green
the Jackson 5

There was an awesome sequence in The L Word in which everybody dances to "I Want You Back".

They did a similar one with Roxy's "Do The Strand". Yes, I watched that show. I mean, come on.

The Soup Nazi 02.11.2016 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pepper_green
^^never seen it but ill give it a shot.

Sometimes I forget YouTube exists.

The L Word "I Want You Back"

Tina dancing on the table... God-DAMN, she was my favorite.

The L Word "Do The Strand"

The Soup Nazi 02.14.2016 04:10 PM

Also:

The L Word — Sleater-Kinney (lip-syncing, I believe) to "Jumpers". "Rollercoaster" or "Let's Call It Love" would have fit better, though...

guest 02.15.2016 07:56 AM

stu666 02.16.2016 03:38 PM

https://excepter.bandcamp.com/album/presidence

noisereductions 02.16.2016 10:21 PM

working in the basement over the weekend, went on a total 90's alterna-kick after talking to sev about SP... listened to:

Everclear - Sparkle & Fade
Third Eye Blind - s/t
Scream soundtrack
Stone Temple Pilots - Purple
Bush - Sixteen Stone

had fun.