Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   what are you listening to? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2)

The Soup Nazi 02.22.2016 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pepper_green
hey Sev. talk more

Don't encourage the insipidity.

Severian 02.22.2016 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
Don't encourage the insipidity.

The insipidity? You think I'm ambivalent about the music/whatever I write about? That I'm just churning out words I don't believe in? Really?

Never mind. I don't care.

@p_green: Not sure what you want me to say about Not Waving. Since I've already talked about it, why don't you say some things about the album? Or ask me questions I can answer without making Soup Nazi right about something.

It's a kickass morhetfucking industrial dance album. Takes me back to '94 a bit. Why, did you pick up Animals?

The Real McCoy 02.23.2016 02:12 AM

Surf Rock is Dead.

The Soup Nazi 02.23.2016 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
The insipidity? You think I'm ambivalent about the music/whatever I write about? That I'm just churning out words I don't believe in? Really?

http://dictionary.reference.com/brow...src=ref&ch=dic

Severian 02.23.2016 05:14 PM

Quote:

"Lacking in vigor or interest" - New Oxford American Dictionary

Why you trying to argue? Why you tryin' to act like I don't know my word meanings huh brah? Why are you trying to start beef anyway?

Anyway, this is what I thought you were getting at. Thought you were saying I was uninterested in the things I write and think. But if you think I'm dull or whatever, once again, I do not care.

Rob Instigator 02.24.2016 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Real McCoy
Surf Rock is Dead.

Surf rock has been dead. fucking glad about it too.

Severian 02.24.2016 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Surf rock has been dead. fucking glad about it too.

I kinda like it. I'm not into the whole 1960's beach scene thing... but I like Dick Dale. I think surf rock contributed a lot to the sounds of 1980's new wave/punk groups. There's something classic about it.

But yeah it's dead as hell, and I don't see or hear anyone arguing otherwise.

Severian 02.25.2016 07:01 PM

Quote:

I had a sweet surf rock cassette back in the day. get excited when I hear dick dale but I usually grab some Link Wray instead.

does anyone listen to Man or Astro-Man? anymore?

Nobody.

Hah, I don't know actually. I saw them live once, but never really got into them. I don't own any of their albums, which is really kind of saying something.

The Soup Nazi 02.27.2016 08:00 PM

Quote:

finally heard the first two Last Poets albums.

im flabberplastered and speechless!!! I was expecting boring spoken word dreck. well that's not what I got at all. more like rageful and revolutionary, captivating, rhythmic catchy spoken word.

This is Madness is mind blowing.

stu666 02.28.2016 04:46 AM

https://www.cafeoto.co.uk/shop/ashley-paul-041015-dl/

The Soup Nazi 02.28.2016 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stu666

HOO-WAH! I LOVE Ashley Paul. Heat Source was one of my favorite albums of 2014. Never seen her on Dime or anything, though — I'm certainly downloading this goody.

The Soup Nazi 02.28.2016 04:04 PM

Quote:

I'm certainly downloading this goody.

Oh, CRAP, they don't take PayPal? Goddammit...
:mad:

Bytor Peltor 03.02.2016 11:30 AM

Yellow Swans - Being There

noisereductions 03.02.2016 11:02 PM

Revolver rules.

Severian 03.03.2016 11:17 AM

Rubber Soul rules too. But Revolver's better. Fuck that's a crazy album for that era. That was such a turning point for popular music.

confusion is next 03.06.2016 06:30 PM

Dr.Mambo 03.08.2016 03:45 PM

A grateful dead show. 1972. Specifically jack straw

The Soup Nazi 03.08.2016 08:37 PM

Quote:

disc two and three of James Brown Star Time box set.

Serious candidate for best box set in the history of EVERYTHING.

Severian 03.09.2016 07:05 PM

Again.

Took a break for about a week so it wouldn't get old, and to listen to the new Kendrick and Big Ups and Bas and whatnot. But I've listened to it every day this week from beginning to end.

Severian 03.10.2016 12:21 PM

Quote:

I still love 30 Hours and the other singles. Feedback is aight.

very incomplete album. maybe hip hop needs to go in this slag off-the-cuff style because nothing else is working right now. it could also use a bit more funk and less trap.

I'm just unable to shake the highlights from this album. "Famous" and "30 Hours" and "Real Friends" and "No more parties in LA" and "Fade"'and "Wolves" and "Feedback" and "Ultralight Beam" and "Father stretch my hands" ... I realize that's most of the songs, but they all just kill me. That new Kendrick is ridiculously dope, but it doesn't take me to the euphoric highs or melancholy, nostalgic lows of this project.