Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   louder's hip-hop café VI (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=114330)

louder 12.06.2017 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Ooooh I like the song “Wolf” ... a lot!

It's so great, as is "Harem". Frank is more of a storyteller. Miguel is a better singer and I love his execution of funk and soul music.

Severian 12.06.2017 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder
It's so great, as is "Harem". Frank is more of a storyteller. Miguel is a better singer and I love his execution of funk and soul music.

Miguel would have been nice on “Waves,” for the soaring vocals. I just goddamn hate Chris Brown. More than I hate Drake if I’m being honest, because Drake just sucks... Christ Brown sucks AND beats on women.
It’s weird that Miguel released a song called “Waves” shortly after TLOP. Oh what could have been.

Yeah, I hear you. Frank doesn’t have one of those voices that’s going to bring the house down. He can sing on key, but he’s not, like, a *professional vocalist* and I think he’s more interested in telling stories like you said, and making albums that are giant balls of daring WTF-ness.

Severian 12.06.2017 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guest
dude your hyperbole is ridiculous.....to reference someone in pop culture isn't to enshrine them as a genius, especially in something as (as you'd admit) absurdly vapid and created for the background of teenage fucks....real long fuckin bow there.

sure, kanye west may be at the 'height' of popular culture, he may be its 'leader' as it currently stands (which in itself is even a joke of an assertion), but you surely can't be serious in trying to compare him to a group like the beatles? I don't even like the beatles and I find that patently ridiculous...

that he commands so great a status, surely that doesn't point to his 'greatness' but rather the stagnation of popular culture? we've finally reached a point where mass media reflects nothing of what actually occurs at the vanguard of artistic production, and all we're left with is stale, rampantly hateful, egomaniacal bile, the utterly disgusting character traits of a piece of shit human being passed off as artistic complexity (emperor x no clothes etc.) and his music, predicated on the exploitation of producers whose work too amounts to nothing more than ever-so-slightly altered but nevertheless butchered pisstakes of the 'popular culture of yore'..........

And yet I compared them. Oh my god!

Their career trajectories are actually pretty similar in terms of how sonics expanded over time.

And I’m not comparing them in a “Kanye is the modern day Beatles” way... I’m saying that if hip-hop has a Beatles, it’s Kanye. Everyone else is faded in and out of obscurity, releasing maybe three critical/commercial successes in a row before dropping a brick. And the exceptions to that (Eminem... kind of, but not really) have not grown or expanded or changed significantly in 20 years. There’s more growth between College Dropout and Late Registration than there is between The Slim Shady LP and this new shit. Or Jay z, who took breaks to make shit albums or rehashes of old material in between his great albums.

If you don’t like Kanye or he Beatles, then I neither expect you to understand the comparison, nor do I respect your opinion about the comparison.

Severian 12.06.2017 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guest
your attitude towards music is like that of a fantasy football fuckwit.

I don’t even know what this means, but let’s be fair here: the way I talk about Kanye is NOT representative of my attitude toward music as a whole. Maybe whatever point you’re trying to make here is accurate with respect to my attitude toward Kanye West, but not with respect to the way I discuss music in general.

Why is it that you insist on being a dick with this stuff? Always and without fail, if you have something to say on this board, it’s almost always mean-spirited.

And non mean-spirited in the way that Rob Instigator and I insult each other... just, like, nasty.

Severian 12.06.2017 10:51 AM

Quote:

Yeah.. just listen to an Eminem album featuring the producers Rick Rubin and S1, then listen to a Kanye album with a similar lineup and you'll know this statement is bullshit.

Louder gets it.

Guest, if you’re gonna troll, troll something you can discuss with a semblance of understanding. Like... fantasy football, probably.

Rob Instigator 12.06.2017 11:04 AM

don't wait to jump in too long - Miguel.

evollove 12.06.2017 08:56 PM

Anyone know if Kanye was the very first producer to dramatically raise the pitch on old soul records?

Severian 12.06.2017 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove
Anyone know if Kanye was the very first producer to dramatically raise the pitch on old soul records?

No, he wasn’t. I’m pretty sure several producers beat him to that, and taught it to him. J Dilla, No ID, Pete Rock, RZA. That’s pretty much the blueprint for Kanye right there. But he was the first to take that style and push it to the front of his tracks, and to build on it so that it became a signifier for “Kanyeness.”

But nah, he didn’t invent that. And I’d argue it’s one of his less impressive production tricks at the end of the day. Elements of it are still around, but that was embryonic Kanye. He did the shit out of it though.

evollove 12.07.2017 07:48 AM

More of an historical question than an "I'm so impressed" one.

Just to be clear: I mean dramatically raising the pitch without changing the tempo for use in the hook.

I'd be especially curious to hear when Pete Rock did this.

louder 12.07.2017 08:18 AM

Quote:

More of an historical question than an "I'm so impressed" one.

Just to be clear: I mean dramatically raising the pitch without changing the tempo for use in the hook.

I'd be especially curious to hear when Pete Rock did this.

It's called "chipmunk soul", I think RZA started it then Kanye and Just Blaze perfected it and popularized it.

Severian 12.07.2017 09:44 AM

Quote:

It's called "chipmunk soul", I think RZA started it then Kanye and Just Blaze perfected it and popularized it.

Definitely a RZA creation from back when RZA mattered.

And yes, Just Blaze too. But the RZA > Kanye connection is more pronounced. I think Kanye’s even said as much... credited RZA with pioneering the production techniques (pitch-shifting, Chipmunk soul) that would later become Kanye’s trademark.

Severian 12.07.2017 09:48 AM

Quote:

More of an historical

The fuck are you, British?

Quote:

question than an "I'm so impressed" one.

When/how did I imply that you were impressed? I thought you were just asking because you didn’t know.

Limey bastard!!

Rob Instigator 12.07.2017 09:54 AM

my fave song from the past 12 months is HEART COLD - Rich Homie Quan https://youtu.be/jzeyZZbevvQ

shit is like trap butter

evollove 12.07.2017 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
shit is like trap butter

Taken out of context, just looking at this sentence by itself, I am fascinated.

Quote:

When/how did I imply that you were impressed?

Quote:

And I’d argue it’s one of his less impressive production tricks at the end of the day.

Severian 12.07.2017 09:26 PM

Quote:

Blah blah IMPRESSED

I didn’t say you were impressed. I said *I* would argue that it’s less impressive than... whatever else I said. That was all me, taking about stuff in the context of my own words. You’re weird for thinking I implied you were impressed. Obviously I was just Kanye-stroking, and it had nothing to do with you.

You’re either deliberately misunderstanding me, or being a roight wanka!

;)

Severian 12.07.2017 09:28 PM

Booooo, EvolLove. Booooo. That was laaaame.

I’m fruuuuuustrated with my liiiiiife so I’m being a diiiiiiick on the iiiinterneeeet.

louder 12.08.2017 03:26 AM

Hey guys. Just thought it should be noted that Em released a new song where he says "throughout history, African-Americans have been treated like shit, and I admit there have been times where it's been embarrassing to be a white boy", as well as "I'd rather hear 'em say 'Die N-word!' than Die Antwoord, Ninja".

demonrail666 12.08.2017 06:46 AM

Quote:

Definitely a RZA creation from back when RZA mattered.

And yes, Just Blaze too. But the RZA > Kanye connection is more pronounced. I think Kanye’s even said as much... credited RZA with pioneering the production techniques (pitch-shifting, Chipmunk soul) that would later become Kanye’s trademark.

I know RZA always gets credited with it in hip hop but the likes of Goldie and 4 Hero/Tom & Jerry were doing it a few years before in the jungle/hardcore scene, using akai samplers, and worked out how to do non-pitch shifted versions very soon after.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzN6EMspLAU (from 1992 - click to around 2:36)

Severian 12.08.2017 10:27 AM

Quote:

"I'd rather hear 'em say 'Die N-word!' than Die Antwoord, Ninja".

Whaaaaaat.
What?

evollove 12.08.2017 02:50 PM

Yeah. That grabbed my attention too. I haven't even heard the song yet, but I rushed to read the lyrics.

https://genius.com/13211929

PS- Lots and lots of websites available to get the poison out of your system by spitting it on others. Like, anywhere but here.

louder 12.08.2017 04:24 PM

Quote:

Whaaaaaat.
What?

Seems like he's rapping from the perspective of a black man, I don't know.

louder 12.08.2017 04:25 PM

Pitchfork: Eminem’s “Untouchable” Is Woke, Welcome… and Unlistenable

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks...m-untouchable/

evollove 12.08.2017 04:51 PM

Um, I was able to listen to it. So another strike against Pitchfork.

Yeah, it's from a black perspective. I don't disagree with anything he says, but I'm not sure this is the best approach. Takes balls, tho.

Rob Instigator 12.08.2017 04:52 PM

i have found M&M unlistenable from the get.

Severian 12.08.2017 08:44 PM

Quote:

Seems like he's rapping from the perspective of a black man, I don't know.

THAT SEEMS ILL-ADVISED

Severian 12.08.2017 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
i have found M&M unlistenable from the get.

Me too, largely, except I loved Slim Shady LP in high school and still think “Role Model” is dope.

That’s it though.

When Marshal Mathers LP came out and my friends played it for me and said “he’s taken it to the next level dude” I was like, “WHAT? He’s taken it to the toilet! This is shit-sprinkled shit!”

“Naw duu—“

“SHIIIIT”

Severian 12.11.2017 10:29 PM

Cardi B’s “Bodak Yellow” is Pitchfork’s song of the year.
It’s an ok club track... buuuuut... not much else.

Kendrick’s “DNA” in at No. 2. Deserves to be No. 1, goddammit. Easy.

evollove 12.12.2017 06:43 AM

Do they mean singles? Because DNA isn't even the best song on DAMN

Rob Instigator 12.12.2017 09:41 AM

no #1 for Gucci gang gucci gang gucci gang?

Severian 12.12.2017 09:52 AM

Quote:

Do they mean singles? Because DNA isn't even the best song on DAMN

They’ve gone back and forth between “singles” and “tracks” and now I’m not sure what’s up. But yeah, probably singles (loose definition).

I kinda think it is the best song, if only because of that insane last minute or so. For fuck’s sake, nobody has rapped that hard on a blockbuster album in decades. And the beat actually makes use of Mike Will Made It’s spare, blaring “talents” ... never thought I liked the guy as a producer, and I honestly kinda DON’T, but he was the man for the job on that track.

Put it on again man. Crank it. Tell me it doesn’t sear the fucking world.

But yeah, lyrically/thematically, I think “Duckworth” is probably the best track. Or maybe “Pride” ...with “Yah” and “Element” being the most fun. But from a sonic standpoint, “DNA” is the most intense thing on the album. So I understand it.

Severian 12.12.2017 09:55 AM

Oh, and Kendrick came it at no. 1 on the Albums of the Year list too.

Not a he’s decision, since this year was pretty unimpressive.
Anyway, now Kendrick has three consecutive Pitchfork albums of the year. Partly because he’s awesome, partly because everyone else is so bland.

(Though I give them props for fitting Jlin and Fever Ray into the top 10. Wasn’t expecting that.)

Severian 12.12.2017 09:59 AM

Quote:

PS- Lots and lots of websites available to get the poison out of your system by spitting it on others. Like, anywhere but here.

Wait, huh?

evollove 12.12.2017 10:05 AM

That was old. Let it go.

---

I'm getting my head around DAMN. Took awhile. Feel, Fear and XXX have fascinated me the most.

"Humble" is my last favorite thing he's done.

I just don't get "Element," although I like the music. It's the lyrics to the chorus that turn me off. They seem pretty dumb, but maybe there's a depth I can't see.

Severian 12.12.2017 12:17 PM

Quote:

That was old. Let it go.

---

I'm getting my head around DAMN. Took awhile. Feel, Fear and XXX have fascinated me the most.

"Humble" is my last favorite thing he's done.

I just don't get "Element," although I like the music. It's the lyrics to the chorus that turn me off. They seem pretty dumb, but maybe there's a depth I can't see.

Ok, I’ll trust we’re cool then.

Yeah, Element is weird. I think it’s actually kind of like that semi-asshole Anthony Fantano said. I think it’s a reaction to the “thug” label Geraldo Places on Kendrick. Like, “Oh, so you think I’m a thug? You think I’m more dangerous than gang violence? Then I’ll make a song that’s actually like that.”

I get what you’re saying though. I just think he’s actually just slapping bitch-ass ni**as and making it sound sexy. Y’know?

louder 12.12.2017 02:19 PM

Sad how those year end lists get more and more about sales/trends and less about quality.

Severian 12.12.2017 03:55 PM

Quote:

Sad how those year end lists get more and more about sales/trends and less about quality.

Well, this was kind of a shit year for music. I haven’t purchased so few albums in a year since like 2010.

At least Kendrick’s getting love. But he already was getting love.

Insane to me that Vince Staples didn’t get a best rap album Grammy nomination. Seriously.

louder 12.13.2017 01:46 AM

Quote:

Well, this was kind of a shit year for music. I haven’t purchased so few albums in a year since like 2010.

At least Kendrick’s getting love. But he already was getting love.

Insane to me that Vince Staples didn’t get a best rap album Grammy nomination. Seriously.

It was, but I'm more than happy with 4:44, DAMN, Big Fish Theory and the Miguel album. Next year should be amazing.

Vince said he should've been nominated for the electronic album category. Heh.

louder 12.13.2017 01:54 AM

My song of the year, if anybody cares, is "Marcy Me". Followed by "DUCKWORTH", "Smile", "XXX", "The Story of OJ" and "YAH".. I could go on back and forth between those two basically.

Mainstream hits I appreciated were "Crew" (I was so happy to see this song blow up and it was even nominated for a Grammy.. Brent Faiyaz killed that hook!!), "Sky Walker", "Bad & Boujee", "XO Tour Life" (already kinda sick of it now though) and the molly percocets song (y'all know which one I'm talking about).

louder 12.13.2017 01:58 AM

"Hold a uzi vertical, let the thing smoke
Y'all flirting with death, I be winking through the scope
Shout out to all the murderers turned murals
Plural, fuck the Federal Bureau!!"

OH SHIT BABY.

Good luck to Nas in 2018 when he gives us his best shot at outdoing this album.

louder 12.13.2017 02:17 AM

Rich the Kid featuring Kendrick song is pretty awesome as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YqSS_b_X1U