Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

Toilet & Bowels 02.23.2010 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek

8/10

i saw this recently, i really liked it.

Toilet & Bowels 02.23.2010 11:50 AM

i saw avatar last week, i wouldn't have gone if it hadn't been free and my colleagues didn't peer pressure me into it, but i liked it way more than i thought i would.

also watched these at the weekend

both a bit underwhelming

Rob Instigator 02.23.2010 12:22 PM

first blood is a classic man! and the last Rambo is non stop killins!

waltermcphilp 02.23.2010 12:50 PM

Shutter Island - It was pretty great

Derek 02.23.2010 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
i saw this recently, i really liked it.

Yeah it's brilliant... a LOT different than I thought it was going to be actually.

atsonicpark 02.23.2010 01:45 PM

Almost all of Aki Kaurismaki's films are exactly the same, with like two films that serve as major deviations. In fact, a lot of them feel like remakes of each other. But the good thing is, if you like once, you like em all. Really, Ariel is probably the best, though I think Lights in the Dusk deserves special mention. They all kinda blend together in my mind, honestly. All shot the same, edited the same, paced the same, lit the same, filmed the same, the same actors sometimes; othertimes, the same characters. It's odd, it's like his a lot of his films serve as weird parallel versions of each other.

Also, more smoking in his films than any I can think of.

atsonicpark 02.23.2010 01:51 PM

heavy metal parking lot - well, the actual feature is only 15 minutes long, actually, so 10/10

hardcore - this dvd as a whole gets 4/10. Just not much to it. FINGERED is brilliant, though, and actually gave me a boner.

horrors of malformed men - uhh.../10

sins of the fleshapoids - 6/10

One of the weirdest films ever.

batreleaser 02.23.2010 01:53 PM

Deer Hunter is my favorite film of all time. It makes me cry.

batreleaser 02.23.2010 01:54 PM

I watched An Education. It sucked.

atsonicpark 02.23.2010 02:02 PM

The Rambo movies are worthless. Not even entertaining. I'd take Hudson Hawk over that shit. Actually, I'd take STOP! OR MY MOM WILL SHOOT!..

Dr. Eugene Felikson 02.23.2010 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark

hardcore - this dvd as a whole gets 4/10. Just not much to it. FINGERED is brilliant, though, and actually gave me a boner.

I was so pissed when Fingered wouldn't work for me. It would always skip around, and freeze up any DVD player i put it in. I had a jinxed copy, just like a guy in an Amazon review I had read. I popped it in a few months ago (after nearly 2 years of owning it), and Fingered suddenly worked!

I really like this collection though. Kern's the man.

atsonicpark 02.24.2010 04:30 AM

I didn't see much to it, except some pretty girls, and annoying Foetus music. Kern is pretty talentless. I tried to apreciate it from many different angles, but I just couldn't... Fingered is the only thing that really stood out to me. I was bored silly by most of the shorts.

atsonicpark 02.24.2010 05:01 AM

royal tenenbaums - 3/10

UGH. This film is TERRIBLE. Owen Wilson and Ben Stiller... both of these egomaniacs have never been in a good movie (usually, the movies are ruined by their very presence, since they are obnoxious and unfunny as humanly possible -- and it's also true in real life, apparently, especially of Stiller), and this continues that wonderful streak. You know you're in trouble when the first 16 minutes of the film is presented in narration, constantly cutting back and forth between uninteresting characters being presented in uninteresting scenarios. Seriously, has there ever been another movie with more unlikeable characters? This movie is a failure, through and through -- it's presented as a comedy, but it's not funny in any way. It's pretty much impossible to appreciate from any angle, and I really tried to, but it made me realize that any movie that is presented in a mainstream context that's the least bit "quirky" or "different" is automatically praised, when there are a thousand fucking independant films released a year no one gives a shit about because they don't have Ben Stiller in them. WORTHLESS SHIT.

on the other hand...

searching for the wrong eyed jesus - 8/10

Rob Instigator 02.24.2010 09:49 AM

u so crazy

otearai 02.24.2010 10:23 AM

girlie movie about relationships, but, hell i cant help loving it because it Korean!(==>korean grrlz)

Rob Instigator 02.24.2010 10:53 AM

korean grrrls + lollipops = thesex

atsonicpark 02.24.2010 11:43 AM

chelsea girls - 10/10

Dr. Eugene Felikson 02.24.2010 11:52 AM

I want 3 things after watching this.

1. To go to a Gathering of the Juggalos
2. A life size Riddlebox, with spring loaded rocket head (you'll have to see it to believe it)
3. Some hot Juggalette neden

Keeping It Simple 02.24.2010 03:40 PM

10/10

atsonicpark 02.24.2010 04:11 PM

chaser - 7/10

the eel - 7/10

Derek 02.24.2010 04:49 PM

paranoid park - 8/10

I rewatched this with my girlfriend and I really honestly like it a lot. It may be simplistic and a bit cliche.. but the story is told so well and some parts were very beautifully done. My favourite movie from a director who's actually really average.

atsonicpark 02.24.2010 05:16 PM

I agree that Gus Van Sant is average, but he is consistent. I think he has made a ton of honest-to-god good films (let's forget Psycho). And all his films have one or two moments that are actually really brilliant. He has yet to make a great film, though My Own Private Idaho, Drugstore Cowboy, and Mala Noche came close. I think Elephant and Last Days and Gerry are really important, interesting pieces of mainstream cinema. In a lot of ways, he reminds me of a guy who really really wants to be Jon Jost, but is too afraid of his mainstream credibility being damaged so he never goes all the way. I'd rather watch Bed You Sleep In or Bell Diamond.

Anyway, Paranoid Park actually is good. Gus creates a good atmosphere. In a lot of ways, he reminds me of what Larry Clark often aspires to do, but Larry Clark is an idiot piece of shit.

davenotdead 02.24.2010 05:35 PM

i like larry clark's 'Bully' better than most Van Sant films I've seen. [drug cow, par park, milk, elephant, cowgirls, forrester, good will, and what 'last days' i could stand].

i would probably like idaho or to die for though. r they good?

atsonicpark 02.24.2010 05:37 PM

I think Bully is his only good film.

To Die For is good, like a weak John Dahl film. My Own Private Idaho actually is really really good, so good that The Criterion Monopoly (C) felt the need to charge $50 for it! But, um, yeah, even for a KEANUA FUCKING REEVES movie, it's good.

ni'k 02.24.2010 06:12 PM

do you know of anywhere i could d/l bell diamond and bed you sleep in? can't find torrents.

atsonicpark 02.24.2010 06:15 PM

I put Bell Diamond on cinemageddon, and bed you sleep in is on there. Bed You Sleep In, I've seen on torrent sites before, not with many seeders though.

Bed.. is on netflix, if you have it.. to watch for free.

Your best choice is to join www.surrealmoviez.info ... not torrents, but rapidshare links ... granted, rapidshare doesn't always work, but you can use one of those premium link generators like leechdl.com or type in "black acid pro", that's easily the best one.. paste the links in, download, and it's like having a premium account.

but if you can karagara or cinemageddon accounts, that's a good choice.

Keeping It Simple 02.25.2010 07:43 AM

10/10

atsonicpark 02.25.2010 11:42 AM

I think you forgot the 0 after the second 10...

Rob Instigator 02.25.2010 11:52 AM

I think he forgot the decimal point before the first 10

atsonicpark 02.25.2010 01:25 PM

Ohhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

Keeping It Simple 02.25.2010 05:08 PM

I can't believe there are people out there who didn't like Planet Terror. It's a brilliant spoof of the Grindhouse movies of the 70s. It's an absolute joy to watch.

Rob Instigator 02.25.2010 05:13 PM

spoofs suck

especially spoofs of things that already sucked ass

spoofs only work when they are spoofing "serious" and "intellectual" things

atsonicpark 02.25.2010 09:03 PM

Planet Terror sucks. Death Proof is the worst film ever made.

\

la vie nouvelle - one for the whole family/10

sonic sphere 02.26.2010 06:22 AM

ni'k 02.26.2010 07:07 AM

death proof lol

kurt russel was in escape from la

how could he ever go near that tarantino travesty?

i mean i know it was for money but still

Keeping It Simple 02.26.2010 07:57 AM

First the cinepseuds of the board attacked James Cameron, now they're attacking Tarantino and Rodriguez. They seem more concerned with pretentious, subtitled, art house shite overblown with subtext and montage than entertainment. They must lead miserable lives.

atsonicpark 02.26.2010 08:07 AM

I didn't know a movie, a movie itself, or a "shite", in this case, could be pretentious. Also, I doubt you know what "pretentious" means. Anywho, I don't watch a movie for its "subtext", I watch it for enhancing my life in some way, and that includes "entertaining me". Cameron hasn't made a good movie in nearly 20 years, Tarantino is a ripoff artist, Rodriguez hasn't made ANYTHING good, that's just how it is. Both those dudes are hacks. See, I love trashy, shitty b-movies that are actually unique and entertaining. I love the following:

Actium Maximus: War of the Alien Dinosaurs
All the Colors of the Dark
Angel Dust...
Baby Blood (aka the Evil Within)
Back Against the Wall
Baconhead
Beaver and Buttface
Beyond the Limits
Black Roses
Bloodmoon
Bloody Wednesday
Body Melt
Boneyard
Breaking Point
Bride of Frank
Bullets Over Summer
Burning Moon
The Cat
Chaos in Outerspace
Cop
Corndog Man
Crazy Family
Crazy Lips (also see: Gore From Outer Space)
Dandy Dust
Dark Night of the Soul
Deadly Prey
Deadtime Stories
Dear Pillow
Death Bed: Bed that Eats
Death Drug
Death Powder
The Demon
Der Todesking
Dr. Lamb
Dr. Tarr's Torture Dungeon
Duck! The Carbine High Massacre
Fallen Angels
Fame Whore
Family Portraits: Trilogy of America
Family Viewing
Fatty Drives the Bus
Freak Orlando
Funky Forest
Galaxy Invader
Geek Maggot Bingo
The Glamorous Life of Sachiko Hanai
Goodnight, God Bless
Hausu
Hi, Mom!
Hole in my Heart
Horror House on Highway 5
Id
Jefftowne
Jungle Burger
KAMILLIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Killing Spree
Kill Me Again
Living
Love - Zero = Infinity
Lurkers
Magic of the Universe
Maniac Nurses Find Ecstasy
Man, Woman, and the Wall
Messiah of Evil
Microwave Massacre
Migrating Forms
Mod Fuck Explosion
Monster High (yay!)
Monsturd
Mute Witness
Mutilation Man
Mysterious Skin
Neon Maniacs
Nightmare Weekend
Night Train to Terror (!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Once and Future Queen
Orgy of the Dead
Outside Out
Pastoral: To Die In Country
Pinnochio 964
Pistol Opera
Premutos: Lord of the Living Dead
Private Parts (not the Howard Stern film)
Reflections of Evil
Relentless
Rock-a-Die Baby
Rock'n'Roll Nightmare
The Room
Samurai Cop
Sante Fe
Scumrock
Shaye and Kiki: Fun Bubble
Shopping for Fangs
Short Time
Shredder Orpheus
SICK
Sins of the Fleshapoids
Slime City
Small White House
Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-o-Rama
Spaceman
Special Needs
Splatter: Naked Blood
Spookies
Story of a Junkie
Strange Behaviour
Student Bodies
Stuff Stephanie in the Incinerator
Superstarlet A.D.
Superstition
Terminal USA
Thou Shalt Not Kill... Except
Totally Fucked Up
Touch Me in the Morning
Townies
Unmasked Part 25
Used Cars
Viewer Discretion Advised
White of the Eye
Worst Horror Movie Ever Made
Zardoz
Zero

Hardly arthouse shite. I don't get behind any one film genre or style. I like films that are good, to me. People can only like what they've been exposed to, and it's not my fault if you don't seek out any movies beyond the conventional, mainstream garbage, you're the one missing out -- not me. But don't attack others because they have tastes that are a bit more obscure than yours. I don't like films just because they're obscure, and I can appreciate a good mainstream film (Mean Girls for example), but Tarantino and that other guy are just fucking jokes.

Keeping It Simple 02.26.2010 08:13 AM

That's a shite list. Please don't ever invite me round to your dive to watch a movie.

ni'k 02.26.2010 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keeping It Simple
That's a shite list. Please don't ever invite me round to your dive to watch a movie.

don't worry. noone ever will.

can we not just ask chabib to ban him already?

i've suggested this before ...

ni'k 02.26.2010 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keeping It Simple
First the cinepseuds of the board attacked James Cameron, now they're attacking Tarantino and Rodriguez. They seem more concerned with pretentious, subtitled, art house shite overblown with subtext and montage than entertainment. They must lead miserable lives.

beyond parody.

i said this before aswell...