Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   what are you listening to? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2)

Savage Clone 02.20.2018 10:08 AM

That's "Have You Heard?" from On The Threshold Of A Dream, if I'm not mistaken. I was raised by a couple of hippies who were big fans. And they were certainly the Gateway band into mystical progressive rock for me and I have a massive soft spot for several of their records.

Severian 02.20.2018 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
That's "Have You Heard?" from On The Threshold Of A Dream, if I'm not mistaken. I was raised by a couple of hippies who were big fans. And they were certainly the Gateway band into mystical progressive rock for me and I have a massive soft spot for several of their records.

Well, that is a goddamn great fucking song.

noisereductions 02.21.2018 10:15 PM

Hey sev... Carseat covered Smash Mouth... Huh... Ha!

dirty bunny 02.22.2018 05:23 PM

In Search of the Lost Chord- The Moody Blues

Been on a kick lately!

Severian 02.22.2018 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
Hey sev... Carseat covered Smash Mouth... Huh... Ha!

Gross.

That new/old Car Seat is pretty goddamn good though. I have to admit, I have a quick preview to the first few tracks and concluded early that it wasn’t going to compare to his other proper albums, and I was basically resigned to sticking it in the not-really-an-album pile, but it is very goddamn good. Put it on yesterday and let it play out, and I had a lot of “holy shit” moments when my feels went all wonky and my heart sped up.

Good to have some decent rawk-type-stuff albums out. I’ve missed it.

d.sound 02.26.2018 10:55 PM

dirty bunny 02.27.2018 01:50 AM

Ride the Lightning- Metallica

Severian 02.27.2018 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirty bunny

This is one of the “correct” answers to the question of the thread.

Severian 02.27.2018 07:20 AM

New Nicolas Jaar

d.sound 02.28.2018 01:55 AM

alvin curran - charlie's park

dirty bunny 02.28.2018 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
This is one of the “correct” answers to the question of the thread.

lol

I'm listening to Ride the Lightning again right now, as a matter of fact.

the ikara cult 02.28.2018 06:56 PM

Sleep - Dopesmoker

I wish they'd called it something other than that, because having never smoked anything in my life i still think it's just the thing for an hour every so often.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugp8a7B9izw

noisereductions 03.07.2018 03:57 PM

dirty bunny 03.08.2018 01:32 AM

That's a good album :)

Severian 03.08.2018 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions

Oh hell yeah nan. There ya go

noisereductions 03.08.2018 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Oh hell yeah nan. There ya go

it's even better than The Breeders! :D

Savage Clone 03.08.2018 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the ikara cult
Sleep - Dopesmoker

I wish they'd called it something other than that, because having never smoked anything in my life i still think it's just the thing for an hour every so often.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugp8a7B9izw

The original version was called Jerusalem, if that suits your preferences better.

h8kurdt 03.08.2018 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirty bunny

It's weird how the tide is turning with this. Used to be EVERYONE would say Master Of Puppets was their best album. Now the contrarian view is to say that this is their best album. Which it isn't. At all.

Severian 03.08.2018 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h8kurdt
It's weird how the tide is turning with this. Used to be EVERYONE would say Master Of Puppets was their best album. Now the contrarian view is to say that this is their best album. Which it isn't. At all.

Master is more refined, sure. I can totally see how people like it more. It’s like “Daydream Nation” to RTL’s “Sister.” But I personally prefer RTL for a bunch of reasons, including the Cthulhu-referencing instrumental opus, the piercing, epic thrash-meets-NWOBHM sound and the simple fact that this album is ultimately more dynamic, partly because it’s less focused and perfected. The sharp points are sharper, the slow bits are slower, there are more ups and more downs. Master is like a machine, grinding along in perfect rhythm and at a perfect pace... Ride is like the medieval torture device that preceded proper industry... sharper edges, more dangerous, if less perfect. (Yeah I know it has an electric chair on its cover, but fuck it.)

If you prefer Master, I can’t argue or fault you. But if you’re one of those Mutt Lange-loving Black album fans, well... yuck.

Savage Clone 03.08.2018 03:02 PM

Trapped Under Ice and Fight Fire With Fire are my favorite tracks on Ride the Lightning, but for Lovecraft references, The Thing That Should Not Be on Master of Puppets is a far better song than Call of ktulu imo...