Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

atsonicpark 01.13.2009 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
Digital Video? Yeah it does suck. But a few films have been good regardless of the poor medium. Inland Empire is a good example. I think Terror Firmer was shot on DV, wasn't it? Hell even Jason X looked better than most of the crap shot on DV.

No Troma film directed by Lloyd Kaufman has ever or will ever be directed in DV. He hates it.

A lot of Japanese films are shot on DV and look great. Inland Empire, for whatever artistic merits it has, looks pretty .. soap operaish.. for a lot of it. Doesn't really effect the movie itself,I just hate that look.

And yeah I did !@#$%!, howdjaknow?

!@#$%! 01.13.2009 02:15 PM

i looked at the time between your last 2 posts in this thread.

anyway not all digital video is created equal. the one called
DV" is an SD format with low bandwidth (25Mbps or about 13GB/h) and about 5:1 compression, it's ok for documentaries and guerrilla filmmaking but it's bad quality for blowing up in a big screen.

HDV is a gimmicky shit kind of format that creates "high def" images (highly compressed) at a similar bandwidth- to me, it's a fucked up codec.

anyway, things get nicer & nicer as you move up the money chain, and there's raw uncompressed high definition video shot with cinema lenses these days, not bad at all.

if you wanna see great cinematography shot in video, check out "before the devil knows you're dead". holy fuck. it's good.

atsonicpark 01.13.2009 02:17 PM

Video in itself isn't a bad look, but Lynch's look of Inland Empire sucks. The actual film is a pretty good little mess, but god.. I dunno... the more soap opera-looking shitty scenes are awful. I dunno what camera he used, but...

!@#$%! 01.13.2009 02:34 PM

i think inland empire is crap in more ways than one

atsonicpark 01.13.2009 02:36 PM

It's pretty decent for the most part. Probably a 6/10

!@#$%! 01.13.2009 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
It's pretty decent for the most part. Probably a 6/10

6/10 is 60% is a D-

that's about right!

i fucking hate that movie. 3 hours of wankery. you could cut it down to 45 minutes and make a decent short.

atsonicpark 01.13.2009 02:56 PM

I think it had at least an hour and a half of GREAT stuff in it. And way more than that that's bullshit -- and it was originally an extra hour long! His worst film ever (not counting Dune since he doesn't even acknowledge it anymore).

noisereductions 01.13.2009 03:27 PM

I dnt know why I thought Lloyd used DV recently. I thought in one of his 2 books he mentioned how they were really affordable. I read them both like 5 years ago, though so it's been a while.

I know Troma has put out DV-shot releases, though. Not meaning in-house films.

!@#$%! 01.13.2009 03:33 PM

lloyd hates video & loves film.

mangajunky 01.13.2009 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
lloyd hates video & loves film.

Lloyd likes to go swimmin with bowlegged wimmin.

Sonic Youth 37 01.13.2009 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mangajunky
Lloyd likes to go swimmin with bowlegged wimmin.

Rob Instigator 01.13.2009 04:23 PM

dune rules

atsonicpark 01.13.2009 05:17 PM

sharkskin man and peachhip girl - 8/10

this film kicks ass.

noisereductions 01.13.2009 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
dune rules

No it doesn't. But it doesn't suck either. It's definitely the worst film in Lynch's filmography, but that's not his fault. He needed the film to be 2 films, and he couldn't do that so it got all cut up and fucked up.

Rob Instigator 01.13.2009 05:41 PM

it still rules. for it's time it was extremely odd and weird and crazy.

but I hate most Lynch films, finding them lacking in story, and overwhelmed by his "dreamlogic" bullshit.

mangajunky 01.13.2009 05:42 PM

I love Dune. I love the book and the movie.
The Sci-Fi channel TV show sucked.

me. 01.13.2009 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark

sharkskin man and peachhip girl - 8/10

this film kicks ass.

I want to see this one,and also like to see 'Labyrinth Of Dreams' with Asano -

demonrail666 01.13.2009 06:10 PM

Why does every low budget sci-fi/action movie from the 90s look like it was made in the mid-80s ... in a disco?

viewtiful_alan 01.13.2009 07:33 PM

Didnt he have fucking toto supply the soundtrack for dune.. if so... god I dont even know.

viewtiful_alan 01.13.2009 07:58 PM

I dont know why, but when I watched Ichi I didnt like it much.
I was kind of distracted, but from what I got it wasnt that radical or shocking and it was kind of confusing.
It just didn't live up tot he hype for me. I probably need to give it a better, honest watch though.