Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   what are you reading? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=3180)

!@#$%! 05.11.2018 02:49 PM

and gaiman would be awesome

i dont know greg bear. where would i start with him?

Rob Instigator 05.11.2018 03:04 PM

Greg Bear writes "Hard" sci-fi and cyberpunk stories. My favorite is a short novel called Blood Music, but I love most of his work.

!@#$%! 05.11.2018 03:05 PM

ok ok i take back that i prefer to read her than to listen to her. i saw her a looooong time ago and she’s now aced the speaking skills she lacked in the 90s

watch her here pissing everyone off

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CacrYpM327Q

fucking youtube has started the nefarious practice of slapping video overlays on the final seconds of videos, purportedly to take you elsewhere with them, but to me just fucking up the ends. just like fucking netflix, which i cancelled. FUCK YOU NETFLIX. FUCK YOU TOO YOUTUBE.

!@#$%! 05.11.2018 03:12 PM

so BLOOD MUSIC is a good starting point? it’s not part of a trilogy or something as it’s fashionable these days? does it stand alone without further references? will it get me reading more by the guy?

Rob Instigator 05.11.2018 03:22 PM

I think so. Blood Music was the first scifi book to deal with nanotech and nanobiology and the possibilities that arise if microscopic life gains consciousness.

from 1983 I think. not part of a trilogy. a novelette, not a novel.

!@#$%! 05.11.2018 03:27 PM

holy shit! ive been thinking about that shit my whole life

i’d better read him before i write something totally unnecessary and superfluous

!@#$%! 05.11.2018 03:30 PM

we need the filmstruck of books now. local libraries are too little and kindle unlimited is too shitty.

WHERE IS MY LIBRARY OF BABEL

!@#$%! 05.11.2018 03:34 PM

BTW, i reread milan kundera’s SLOWNESS the other day and it was still hilarious.

(speaking of novellas)

his characterization of such types as the dancer, the elect, etc— *truth*

his admonition to be happy without an audience more relevant than ever— he wrote waaaaaaay before facebook.

btw why nobody remembers gus van zan’t TO DIE FOR as a terrible prophecy of today’s internet

BUT ANYWAY.

kundera. slowness. still valid.

i’d write to milan kundera. once upon a time i thought of having a beer with the guy. but why the fuck disturb his peace?

if you wanna pester him, he’s written some great stuff.

(but i doubt he’ll answer, as he loves his privacy)

IS HE ON FACEBOOK? lolololololololol

Rob Instigator 05.11.2018 03:39 PM

I write straight to their publishers.

!@#$%! 05.11.2018 03:41 PM

publishers good to pester. i was just laughing at the notion of kundera on facebook. you have to read the guy. it’s one of his main themes, the nightmare of living always in public.

ilduclo 05.11.2018 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I'm gonna send her a highly intricate B+W drawing to curry her favor.

might work! I don't think much of her myself, but she has so much self regard that the opinions of others hardly matters!

ilduclo 05.11.2018 04:29 PM

Quote:

I write straight to their publishers.

I've tried that with some success.

Severian 05.11.2018 07:02 PM

Quote:

Greg Bear writes "Hard" sci-fi and cyberpunk stories. My favorite is a short novel called Blood Music, but I love most of his work.

Greg Bear definitely writes hard-fi. No need for the quotes. It is absolutely that.

Severian 05.11.2018 07:04 PM

Quote:

the authors I would love to contact are all dead! (HST, Vonnegut, Bukowski, Asimov, etc)

My wife told em to write to the authors I love because they will all die.

she was right.

as far as any authors I wanna communicate with? Camile Paglia, Neil Gaiman, Greg Bear

I would want to chat with Gaiman too. Big time. Ask him why Norse Mythology wasn’t marketed as the children’s book that it is. Was impossible to tell from reviews or book cover/pull quotes. Had I known I woulnt have bothered.

Ahhhhhhhhhhneilgaiman

Severian 05.11.2018 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h8kurdt

Currently reading Rabbit at Rest. I've totally been sucked into this world so after reading Rabbit Run and I've done the next three one after another. This is the last one of the four and it's probably my favourite of the lot.

Whilst the way he talks about sex, and his obsession with banging on about it (no pun intended) is just cringe worthy he's a brilliant writer. He has these ling descriptive passages that just flow so seamlessly along. You gotta love a good solid piece of writing, right?

Yeyah Updike!

Rob Instigator 05.11.2018 10:57 PM

15,500 and counting.

h8kurdt 05.12.2018 04:19 AM

Quote:

the authors I would love to contact are all dead! (HST, Vonnegut, Bukowski, Asimov, etc)

My wife told em to write to the authors I love because they will all die.

she was right.

as far as any authors I wanna communicate with? Camile Paglia, Neil Gaiman, Greg Bear

Funny you should mention that. One of my biggest regrets is not writing to the comic writer Harvey Peakar. Normally I'm not one to ever contemplate bothering to do that but I had wanted to do with him for a good while. Then of course he dies before I got chance.

Severian 05.12.2018 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h8kurdt
Funny you should mention that. One of my biggest regrets is not writing to the comic writer Harvey Peakar. Normally I'm not one to ever contemplate bothering to do that but I had wanted to do with him for a good while. Then of course he dies before I got chance.

Oh man. Yeah, I can see that.

I’ve never written to an author .... not formally anyway. I would like to write to Gene Wolfe, who is almost definitely running low on time at this point. Maybe I’ll do it just so I don’t miss the chance.

Poor brilliant under appreciated man. I’m probably one of his biggest fans.

Rob Instigator 05.14.2018 08:05 AM

25,500 + all due to murakami publisher sharing my review on the facebook

tw2113 05.14.2018 08:57 AM

Finished up "Tietem Brown" this weekend, looking to begin re-reading On Stranger Tides soon.