Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

atsonicpark 01.28.2009 12:22 AM

wild life - 6/10

zero - 9/10

mystery train - 6/10

h - 7/10

sonic sphere 01.28.2009 07:32 AM

replicant-one of those van-damme double role films. unintentionally hilarious!

atsonicpark 01.28.2009 07:55 AM

Mystery Train would've been awesome if it had focused on the Japanese tourists the whole time instead of having the other stories.

Neighbor No. 13, just watched that a few weeks ago. Decent little film. Love the Miike cameo.

hat and bread 01.28.2009 08:41 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTPfMk34lz8&feature=PlayList&p=528FB74354E EC5DF&index=0&playnext=1

10/10

Rob Instigator 01.28.2009 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Mystery Train would've been awesome if it had focused on the Japanese tourists the whole time instead of having the other stories.

Neighbor No. 13, just watched that a few weeks ago. Decent little film. Love the Miike cameo.

that was the best part of Mystery Train. Their quest for Americana in Memphis right?

chairman of the bored 01.28.2009 06:42 PM

This is probably my favorite and most frequently checked thread on this board. First time contributor, long time reader:

Darjeeling Limited-7/10...a high 7 probably. It's the first wes anderson film i've seen and now im compelled to check out the rest.

If atsonicpark is ever feeling listy I'd love to see a list of your top whatever number of movies.

noisereductions 01.28.2009 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chairman of the bored
If atsonicpark is ever feeling listy I'd love to see a list of your top whatever number of movies.

He made one on netflix. I dont know? Search his posts in this thread to find the link.

atsonicpark 01.28.2009 09:23 PM

ah fuck it I'll do it again

top 50 so far
these change all the time, especially the top 5... I'm not going to look at my netflix lists because those are probably outdated by now..

1. el topo
2. hana-bi/fireworks
3. taxi driver
4. videodrome
5. tetsuo: the iron man
6. the holy mountain
7. possession
8. izo
9. bad lieutenant
10. blow out
11. wild at heart
12. once upon a time in the west
13. maniac!
14. koyaanisqatsi
15. i stand alone
16. the killer
17. beyond the darkness
18. the dead zone
19. sonatine
20. end of evangelion
21. a clockwork orange
22. tenebre
23. man bites dog
24. mulholland drive
25. happiness
26. heart of glass
27. the beyond
28. blue velvet
29. tokyo fist
30. last life in the universe
31. riki-oh: story of ricky
32. dolls
33. brain damage
34. begotten
35. home alone
36. dog star man
37. deep red
38. barton fink
39. crash (cronenberg's)
40. freddy got fingered
41. king of comedy (the scorsese one)
42. gates of hell/city of the living dead
43. dead ringers
44. hard boiled
45. pinnochio 964
46. happiness of the katakuris
47. aguirre: wrath of god
48. the untold story
49. all about lily chou-chou
50. body double

Nothing too surprising there, I'd imagine...

noisereductions 01.28.2009 09:25 PM

I'm actually quite surprised about Freddy Got Fingered, Adam. I've never seen it, but always heard it wasn't worth seeing. The fct that it would make it on yr list makes me think I'm wrong.

atsonicpark 01.28.2009 09:32 PM

It's probably the funniest mainstream film ever. Most of my favorite comedies are well below Hollywood's radar (The Corn Dog Man, Period Piece, Bride of Frank, even SPACEMAN!!! are about a BILLION times funnier than the completely contrived bullshit Hollywood releases). But finally, Freddy Got Fingered, a genuinely funny movie and even a bit surreal. I loved it. Probably the last time we'll ever see genuinely trashy, funny, surreal humor in a Hollywood film. I saw it in theaters 3 times. I still break it out with friends about once a year.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 01.29.2009 01:54 AM

Japan Four?

Halloween H20.

phoenix 01.29.2009 06:45 AM

milk

phoenix 01.29.2009 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davenotdead
[IMG]

8/10

I was at the drive in for this and at 1am we decided to leave because we were too tired to keep watching a plotless film.

Photographically its really lovely though.

Youth_Against_Facism 01.29.2009 07:09 AM

Great movie!

afterthefact 01.29.2009 10:32 AM

Good Night & Good Luck - Pretty good, at least in the style department. It was a little anti-climatic, but I have never minded that in movies, so I was fine with that.

Fern Gully: The Last Rainforest - Loved this as a kid; it's a lot cheesier now. I just wanted Sadie to see the same movies I grew up on, so I got it. It is very charged with eco-friendly messages in a way to impact kids.

The Heartbreak Kid - Standard Farrelly Brothers, standard Ben Stiller. It was funny.

The Visitor - Great movie, although, especially in the beginning, it was was very slow and melodramatic. It progessed well though, and ended up becoming very good.

afterthefact 01.29.2009 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
It's probably the funniest mainstream film ever. Most of my favorite comedies are well below Hollywood's radar (The Corn Dog Man, Period Piece, Bride of Frank, even SPACEMAN!!! are about a BILLION times funnier than the completely contrived bullshit Hollywood releases). But finally, Freddy Got Fingered, a genuinely funny movie and even a bit surreal. I loved it. Probably the last time we'll ever see genuinely trashy, funny, surreal humor in a Hollywood film. I saw it in theaters 3 times. I still break it out with friends about once a year.

I feel the same way. Ever see Chairman of the Board, with Carrottop? Totally ridiculous, but I still liked it, because at least it knew what it was, and it wasn't trying to be anything else. I think that is the case with most of those movies you mentioned, and I think that is why so many mainstream comedies fall flat; they try and become a really deep movie, and all you wanted to do was laugh a little.

atsonicpark 01.29.2009 03:14 PM

Ohhh, need to check that one out!

I really like Bio-Dome too.

afterthefact 01.29.2009 03:26 PM

Yeah, I've always had an affinity for Pauly Shore movies.

noisereductions 01.29.2009 03:29 PM

hey lux, Hellraiser is on my list of 'perfect films'. I love it.

hey people watching Jarmusch films, have you seen Ghostdog yet? I like that one a lot. I'm guessing it's the reason why Tarantino recruited RZA to do the score to Kill Bill.

afterthefact 01.29.2009 03:32 PM

Ghostdog is fantastic. Jarmusch is great at taking two completely different elements and making them work together.