Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

atsonicpark 01.31.2009 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek
juggalo

Wrong.

Juggalette!

_slavo_ 02.01.2009 09:07 AM

I saw Paranoid Park yesterday. That shower scene was mindblowing.

viewtiful_alan 02.01.2009 07:27 PM

8.5/10

Rob Instigator 02.02.2009 10:06 AM

Saw the 265 minute CHE' with my mom and brother and girlfriend on Satrurday. 20 minute intermission. I give it a 9/10
I have never seen such a long movie at the theatre. very good stuff. Nearly 80% is in Spanish. Epic.

saw this with my g/f saturday night. I had never seen the whole thing. 9/10.

RdTv 02.02.2009 10:10 AM

Saw this yesterday. 9/10

afterthefact 02.02.2009 10:22 AM

9/10 - absolutely fantastic

demonrail666 02.02.2009 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afterthefact

9/10 - absolutely fantastic

I've been looking to see that for a while now. It really does sound amazing.

afterthefact 02.02.2009 10:33 AM

You won't be disappointed. Most documentaries tell you a story; this one places you in the middle of one, and let's you figure out the rest on your own.

MellySingsDoom 02.02.2009 10:52 AM

Yesterday, demonrail and I saw:

Pretty unimpressive fare all round - tried to recreate the "vibe" of the 70's, but it failed on many levels, and the blatant quoting of other film references was pretty lame also. Poor script adaptation, lame acting, "horror" scenes telegraphed way in advanced, a seventies lead dude with a sculpted and buff noughties torso....

Not bad really - essentially a different retelling of the old "1984" thing - Julie Christie proves again that she's really not that great an actress, and certain scenes were reminiscent of an episode of "Trumpton".....saved by an ending which, if expanded upon, would have made for a far more engaging film.

noisereductions 02.02.2009 11:16 AM

^ yeah, the Amittyville remake was actually pretty damn good. Ryan Reynolds surpised me.

demonrail666 02.02.2009 12:57 PM

Yeah, I didn't dislike the Amityville remake. It just seemed a bit unnecessary them insisting it remained in the 70s. (I mean everyone by now knows the 'true story' schtick is a load of bollocks.) Setting it thirty years in the past allows for the usual references to pot smoking and Kiss posters but, as Melly says, the actual cast looked to contemporary. It would've worked just as well had they set it in the current era. As it is it looks like a bunch of gym addicts attending a fancy dress party. Everyone looked to well groomed. And if there's one thing people weren't in the 70s, it's well groomed.

noisereductions 02.02.2009 01:05 PM

Curtains

pretty meh, but a couple of good parts.

Sonic Youth 37 02.02.2009 01:06 PM

A classic.

noisereductions 02.02.2009 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic Youth 37

A classic.

yeah it is!

fugazifan 02.02.2009 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MellySingsDoom
Yesterday, demonrail and I saw:

Pretty unimpressive fare all round - tried to recreate the "vibe" of the 70's, but it failed on many levels, and the blatant quoting of other film references was pretty lame also. Poor script adaptation, lame acting, "horror" scenes telegraphed way in advanced, a seventies lead dude with a sculpted and buff noughties torso....

Not bad really - essentially a different retelling of the old "1984" thing - Julie Christie proves again that she's really not that great an actress, and certain scenes were reminiscent of an episode of "Trumpton".....saved by an ending which, if expanded upon, would have made for a far more engaging film.

the original amityville was so good that i see no reason to have a remake of it.
and yeah, F451 is a great story but not a great movie. i had to write a report about it last year that dealt with enstrangment which made it interesting. but i really dont like troffaut as a director. he makes good movies but i really dont like his way of directing, its very boring IMO

oh and i just saw the original The Blob. it was excellent. classic 50s horror

noisereductions 02.02.2009 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fugazifan
the original amityville was so good that i see no reason to have a remake of it.
and yeah, F451 is a great story but not a great movie. i had to write a report about it last year that dealt with enstrangment which made it interesting. but i really dont like troffaut as a director. he makes good movies but i really dont like his way of directing, its very boring IMO

oh and i just saw the original The Blob. it was excellent. classic 50s horror

you can rightly say that there's "no reason" to remake any movie. Let's all just admit, that remakes are basically made to make $ without thinking up a new idea. Now that we've all accepted that, let's just view each film as its on film (the Pixies "Wild Honey Pie" is a different song than The Beatles'). Most remakes will fail when attempting to outdo an original, but if no one tried then we wouldn't have John Carpenter's The Thing for instance.

demonrail666 02.02.2009 02:58 PM

Carpenter's The Thing is a perfect justification for remakes.

mangajunky 02.02.2009 02:58 PM

Zebraman - really funny stuff.

noisereductions 02.02.2009 03:01 PM

^ what the F is that?

demonrail666 02.02.2009 03:05 PM

OK, I'm no expert on asian cinema but I have to say this, every time I watch an example of it, the only thing I see is wackiness and extremity. I mean I'm sure they're producing other stuff but from what I can see a lot of just seems like a load of good-those-asians-are-crazy type movies.