Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   what are you reading? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=3180)

!@#$%! 12.21.2018 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw2113
Can't say Moby Dick is one on my to-read list, and I don't plan to add it right now either.

it’s great actually

i just got sidetracked by a lack of solid reading hours

evollove 12.21.2018 02:23 PM

Just sit down and tear through it because it's such a great book to pick up later and read a chapter when you have a moment to kill. Perfect bathroom book, really.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bertrand
Currently enjoying Mordecai Richler's Barney's Version.
I overcame Thomas Mann's Magic Mountain. It took a while be was worth it.

--I own Barney's Version and really enjoyed the movie, but haven't cracked it open yet. Soon.

--I could never finish Magic Mountain. Which isn't to say I never will, but holy shit I've given it three or four tries in my lifetime. Not even sure I ever made it past page 100. Worth it? Really? You promise?

tw2113 12.21.2018 02:39 PM

I'll consider it for in the future then. Maybe once my list is smaller.

!@#$%! 12.23.2018 01:39 PM

the first 3 chapters of this thing are solid gold

tw2113 12.23.2018 04:17 PM

Finished High Fidelity, started "The Chimes" by Dickens. That and "The Cricket on the Hearth" are what I'm hoping will round me out to 30 books in 2018

!@#$%! 12.23.2018 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove
Just sit down and tear through it because it's such a great book to pick up later and read a chapter when you have a moment to kill. Perfect bathroom book, really.

oh no i dont want numb legs lololol. plus it promotes ‘roid rage

but yes i plan to get back to that book some point

the thing is ive been very busy organizing new home + work + transpo systems, plus juggling too many projects, plus trying to learn new job skills and it was chaotic for a while

so i’d get 5 minutes free here 5 minutes free there, then watch teevee exhausted at night

lost track a bit this fall, now gotta rebudget the daily schedule and reblock my pomodoros and i’ll be good again

i love the holidays because while everybody is busy doing busy shit i get to reorganize and make my life better

ah yes who eeds to wait for spring for cleaning. dump it all out now! hah...

pony 12.23.2018 05:14 PM

I got obsessed with Medea after seeing Medea und Jason at the theatre here in Hamburg. So now I am reading Christa Wolf's Medea and I like it a lot!! Will also read Euripides and Grillparzer at some point soon. I have them with me for my christmas visitations!

!@#$%! 12.23.2018 05:27 PM

euripides = man = verbotten

(or so i hear)

btw if you have eyes, highly recommended pasolini + lars von trier’s movie versions

everyone gushes over pasolini but for my money lvt’s 16mm tv version is particularly bananas—medieval looking, a lot of carl theodor dreyer influence, these insane orange hues, really a visual treat

ps you still watch flicks by the menzes or no?

pony 12.23.2018 05:43 PM

yeah, normally they are verboten, but ... i might make an exception.

i don't have eyes. it's very funny, I feel like I can't watch movies. Have to stop movies every 15 minutes and walk around (but I can sit around for hours reading. weird!)

but for the sake of my new obsession I shall try watching the above movies! thanks for pointing them out!

pony 12.29.2018 01:35 AM

has anyone on here read christa wolf's "the quest for christa t"? does it stop reading like a bad acid trip? it makes my head hurt

Dr. Eugene Felikson 12.29.2018 12:31 PM

I think I will try to read more in 2019.

I have so many books.

I enjoy fantasy novels, and non-fiction about psychology/sociology/film/etc.

I always start books, get distracted, and never finish though.

The book laden mantle above my fireplace is mocking me rn

demonrail666 12.29.2018 01:07 PM

Olaf Stapledon - Star Maker

I've made it a new year resolution to dig deeper into the SF Masterworks series so I'm starting with this. So far so very good.

!@#$%! 01.02.2019 11:59 PM

lyn hejinian - a thought is the bride to what thinking

http://eclipsearchive.org/projects/T.../contents.html

tw2113 01.03.2019 12:54 AM

I fell short of 30 by some 60 pages or so of a book. Oh well :D I'm also planning to slow down slightly and put some time focus on audiodrama podcasts which are quite intriguing me lately.

ilduclo 01.03.2019 09:11 AM

Making Trouble, autobiography of Lynne Segal. Excellently written. One where nearly every sentence bears thought.

jennthebenn 01.03.2019 04:53 PM

Re-reading "Animal Farm" for the first time since eighth grade. I remember thinking my classmates were idiots for not liking the book as much as I did, and you know what? I was right. Slightly arrogant, but right.

choc e-Claire 01.03.2019 04:54 PM

Animal Farm is an amazing book.

Diesel 01.04.2019 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennthebenn
Re-reading "Animal Farm" for the first time since eighth grade. I remember thinking my classmates were idiots for not liking the book as much as I did, and you know what? I was right. Slightly arrogant, but right.

"Look, no hands"? animal farm, orrr...

evollove 01.04.2019 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw2113
audiodrama podcasts which are quite intriguing me lately.

Which ones? Hook me up bro.

!@#$%! 01.04.2019 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diesel
"Look, no hands"? animal farm, orrr...

wow look at you walking on two legs now

i see how it is...