Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What TV are you watching (live, dvd, etc.)? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=40798)

Cunt 04.23.2014 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
she's a *very* good looking man!

Hm.

I've started watching Mike Judge's satire of the tech startup/venture capital scene . So far it's been pretty meh, but as someone who works in the industry I have to say that he got some of the characters pretty spot on.

EVOLghost 04.23.2014 09:12 AM

Quote:

just one big warning: sorkin quit after season 4 (he was smoking crack at the time. this sounds like a joke, but isn't.)

It's funny like a joke too!

!@#$%! 04.24.2014 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EVOLghost
It's funny like a joke too!

i know. aaron sorkin:

"i wrote the social network!"

---

watching THE BORGIAS. that's the showtime version, not the german/french/czech.etc production. i think i liked the other one better, even though it was cheaper and had a lesser cast. the showtime version seems more bullshit, the other felt more complex and historically accurate. still, this one izzokay.

Nefeli 04.25.2014 01:30 AM

gonna check out a new series called Fargo.
dont need to know what it is about. the name alone does it for me.

MellySingsDoom 04.25.2014 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nefeli
gonna check out a new series called Fargo.
dont need to know what it is about. the name alone does it for me.

Ah, I saw a good mate of mine earlier this week, and he was raving about this series. Am gonna check over the w/end to see if it's on Netflix US.

Nefeli 04.25.2014 02:31 AM

good to know!

deflinus 04.25.2014 11:44 AM

Quote:

just one big warning: sorkin quit after season 4 (he was smoking crack at the time. this sounds like a joke, but isn't.)

yes, stick around till the very end if you wanna, but lower your expectations because the people who did ER took over.

aw that's a bummer. didn't know he quit after season 4. at least i still have one more season. don't know if i'll check out the rest of it. if i'm impressed with it, maybe.

loop cat 04.25.2014 12:22 PM

evollove 04.25.2014 01:25 PM

Those "walk and talks" on West Wing are brilliantly directed. So many lines of dialogue and every actor has to be in the right place at the right time. Not to mention the pain in the ass lighting and camera moves.

If those some of those scenes were in a "film", nerds would pop boners and hail the director as a genius.

!@#$%! 04.25.2014 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove
Those "walk and talks" on West Wing are brilliantly directed. So many lines of dialogue and every actor has to be in the right place at the right time. Not to mention the pain in the ass lighting and camera moves.

If those some of those scenes were in a "film", nerds would pop boners and hail the director as a genius.

boners have been popping for over a decade! thomas schlamme is sorkin's "other half".

!@#$%! 04.26.2014 08:32 AM

sister wendy. pretty basic, but she's fucking great.

EVOLghost 04.26.2014 09:55 AM

perfect hair forever

an evening with viewtiful 04.27.2014 11:43 AM

The Larry Sanders Show (again... Girlfriend hadn't seen it).

Why did I have to stumble into this show? Why is this not one of those shows that I can't get people to shut up about, that everyone sites as amazing and revolutionary?

All the time I wasted trying to get what all the fuss was about for a piece of shit like Community that I could have been watching this...

evollove 04.27.2014 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by an evening with viewtiful
The Larry Sanders Show

If I had to absolutely choose my favorite show of all time, this would probably be it.

an evening with viewtiful 04.27.2014 12:04 PM

I really don't think there has ever been another comedy that comes that close to perfection across 6 whole seasons.

Garry Shandling is the fucking man.

evollove 04.27.2014 12:32 PM

I got all the episodes years ago, and I've watched them all at least a dozen times, probably a lot more.

You're right: there is not ONE bad or even not-that-good episode. Amazing.

There are funny lines, of course, but the comedy for me comes from the characters. I totally get them; I probably AM some of them.

I particularly love how the minor characters are fleshed out and develop over time. It isn't all about Larry, or even Larry, Hank and Artie. It's also about a dry, cynical show booker (Paula), an over-grown-child writer (Phil), an overworked assistant who's probably too good for Larry (Beverly). And Scott Thompson should've won a few awards for his brave performance.

It's ultimately a show about values: What's the most important thing right now? And there is much comedy to be found when people choose wrong, usually due to their massive ego.

guest 04.29.2014 09:14 AM

my kitchen rules forever and ever amen. congrats blow jobs hehhhhhhhhh.

demonrail666 04.29.2014 04:25 PM

Treme Season 3

One disc in and I'm finally giving up on it. I wasn't hugely into the first two seasons but stuck with it because it always seemed on the cusp of being really interesting, but David Simon just seems too enamoured with New Orleans' music culture to offer any real insight about what's going on their socially. Frustrating because I really wanted to like it.

Rob Instigator 04.29.2014 04:37 PM

http://www.danbarham.com/dinklage/

dead_battery 04.30.2014 02:30 AM

anyone watching continuum? canadian sci fi time travel cop show. a bit slow in the first 2 seasons but it starting to pick up and get darker.

not much else on.