Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   what are you reading? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=3180)

Everyneurotic 03.05.2007 09:56 PM

awesome man; i'm in your debt sir!!!!

all i need is a new black toner and a pack of paper and i'm set!

!@#$%! 03.05.2007 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
awesome man; i'm in your debt sir!!!!

hardly, señor, i'm merely paying back a tiny portion of the interest from your numerous musical contributions to this board. now go & have fun. im going to down a bottle of wine before dinner. hurray!

krastian 03.06.2007 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
anyone know any good online book stores besides amazon, barnes & noble, etc. (perhaps cheaper)?

i want to buy either maldoror or fear and loathing in las vegas or some music book, band biography or whatever.

Check out the new www.deepdiscount.com

They have good prices on quite a few books....not to mention cds and DVDs.

Katy 03.08.2007 11:22 PM

Only Revolutions by Mark Z. Danielewski

youthoftomorrow 03.09.2007 01:59 AM

nomadicfollower 03.09.2007 05:13 PM

A rather dissapointing trip to the library left me with Volume 1 of Aristotle's work. Part of an encyclopedia britannica series which begins with Plato and ends somewhere around Hume. A nice book at least and my library card was free, which is nice. Needless to say, however, after picking through this series I won't be browsing the public library again.

Пятхъдесят Шест 03.09.2007 05:18 PM

The local library is now only open three days a week here. A real bummer, to the point that I don't even own a library card now.

I've settled on just buying books.

Last book I bought, and currently reading:

Pookie 03.09.2007 05:22 PM

Our library has just recently started opening 7 days a week.

We just use it for children's books.

!@#$%! 03.09.2007 05:23 PM

oh i pity you guys. in spite of the fact that i live in a dump of a town, the little library is quite decent. they buy what i ask for. has a nice dvd collection too.

Пятхъдесят Шест 03.09.2007 05:26 PM

Its a bit of a local issue. Our city finds it more important to fund things like pedestrian bridges over rivers, to the middle of nowhere, or building new and improved sporting arenas (which does serve a role in the city, I realize) rather than paying library workers, or buying new books for inner city libraries. Its upsetting.

If you were looking for children's books from the libraries in Omaha, it had better be between the hours of 12-7 and on a Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday.

Shame.

king_buzzo 03.09.2007 05:27 PM

im on the last 100 pages of the return of the king

!@#$%! 03.09.2007 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Пятхъдесят Шест
Its a bit of a local issue. Our city finds it more important to fund things like pedestrian bridges over rivers, to the middle of nowhere, or building new and improved sporting arenas (which does serve a role in the city, I realize) rather than paying library workers, or buying new books for inner city libraries. Its upsetting.

If you were looking for children's books from the libraries in Omaha, it had better be between the hours of 12-7 and on a Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday.

Shame.

shame indeed. isn't omaha supposed to be a kind of respectable city, i mean for a hick place like nebraska? :D

Пятхъдесят Шест 03.09.2007 05:50 PM

We are quite respectable, especially for a hick place like Nebraska.

Problem being it is run by people in the suburbs. I should have clarified, it is libraries of inner Omaha. The "public" libraries of West Omaha are fully stocked with books, and open on a more reasonable schedule.

Rob Instigator 03.09.2007 05:51 PM

The Downtown Houston Public Library is in the middle of a 3 year multi-million dollar renovation and upgrade. I am so excited, but it will not be open until 2008.

They ahve everything! we have a fantastic library
huge collection of art books, comic books and graphic novels, science, history, massive music collection. great classical music CD collection. tons of everything. I love it so.

I miss it. I need it bad.

Пятхъдесят Шест 03.09.2007 05:54 PM

Rob, I am jealous.

We've got a huge downtown library. When open...

Awesome used book stores however.

Rob Instigator 03.09.2007 05:57 PM

used bookstores rule.

this is the mockup for what the renovastion will look like when complete.

that is just part of the libraty, the old library buildings still stabnd right in front of the new one. they smell old and cool

!@#$%! 03.09.2007 06:05 PM

the dc public library, which i loved, is housed in this building by mies van der rohe --

and i used to hang out at the library of congress A LOT

Rob Instigator 03.09.2007 06:10 PM

I would take a vacation just to go to the library of congress for two weeks and read.

Пятхъдесят Шест 03.09.2007 06:26 PM

Surely, the Library of Congress is a place to visit.

Not that I've been there. I'll get there some day.

Katy 03.10.2007 02:42 AM

Charles Mingus - Beneath the Underdog