Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Unpopular Musical Opinions (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=972)

SynthethicalY 05.02.2007 12:15 PM

I think on the Sonic Youth splitting up; there are two groups, the ones who remember them when they were young, and those who got into them in their later in their careers. So that is why most people debate whether or not Daydream is the last great record, and those who agree that Dirrty or Goo to be their best record for its pop sensibilities. So I think when it comes to this subjects both groups are right. Because they got into them at different times in SY careers.

HECKLER SPRAY 05.02.2007 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SynthethicalY
I think on the Sonic Youth splitting up; there are two groups, the ones who remember them when they were young, and those who got into them in their later in their careers. So that is why most people debate whether or not Daydream is the last great record, and those who agree that Dirrty or Goo to be their best record for its pop sensibilities. So I think when it comes to this subjects both groups are right. Because they got into them at different times in SY careers.

Totally agree. good conclusion, SynthethicalY.:)

jonathan 05.02.2007 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SynthethicalY

I would almost agree with you accept that I was born in 1986 and got into Sonic Youth after Sonic Nurse and I think that their mid-90s period, while still amazing, is the lowest point of their career.

SynthethicalY 05.02.2007 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathan
I would almost agree with you accept that I was born in 1986 and got into Sonic Youth after Sonic Nurse and I think that their mid-90s period, while still amazing, is the lowest point of their career.

I think their whole career is amazing, haven't been deception by them. But I am talking about the majority here. And most are like that.

MellySingsDoom 05.02.2007 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
SY should've split up after DDN.

^^^+1

Rob Instigator 05.02.2007 02:58 PM

if SY had split after DDN we would not ahve ahd su ch amazing shit as

washing muchine
3/4 of thousand leaves
SONIC NURSE

pbradley 05.03.2007 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicl
If Kurt Cobain was still alive, Nirvana would be the uncoolest band around.

I still maintain that they would've broken up, long period of hiatus, Cobain would have done decent (if not amazing) solo stuff, and they would have reformed.

The standard alternative rock plan. Except with more hype.

MellySingsDoom 05.03.2007 04:09 AM

"Rhinestone Cowboy" is a better song than "Wichita Lineman".

MellySingsDoom 05.03.2007 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nefeli
syr4 is a masterpiece. just sayin..

I haven't heard this release. Do lots of people really dislike it, then?

MellySingsDoom 05.03.2007 08:23 AM

George Melly is a better 'jazz' singer than Mel Torme.

MellySingsDoom 05.03.2007 08:54 AM

Lee Ranaldo has a more personal and definable guitar sound than Thurston Moore.

MellySingsDoom 05.03.2007 08:54 AM

Everett True made better records on Creation than Primal Scream.

sonicl 05.03.2007 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MellySingsDoom
Everett True made better records on Creation than Primal Scream.

You were doing okay until this one. Everett True is a twat, and his "music" is the music of a twat. That "Don't Slip Up", or whatever it was, was utter twaddle. Go to the bottom of the class, and stay there.

EDIT - I've just realised that the "Don't Slip UP" that I mentioned was by meat Whiplash, not The Legend!. But it doesn't matter, Everett True is still a total muppet and Primal Scream's stuff on Creation kicks ass.

MellySingsDoom 05.03.2007 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicl
You were doing okay until this one. Everett True is a twat, and his "music" is the music of a twat. That "Don't Slip Up", or whatever it was, was utter twaddle. Go to the bottom of the class, and stay there.

EDIT - I've just realised that the "Don't Slip UP" that I mentioned was by meat Whiplash, not The Legend!. But it doesn't matter, Everett True is still a total muppet and Primal Scream's stuff on Creation kicks ass.

Heh, heh, you took the bait! I dunno, I'm no longer the Scream fan I may have been many a year ago, but you're right about Jerry Thackray and his musical nonentitiyness.

I like the bottom of the class. When I grow up I want to work at a petrol station.

ZEROpumpkins 05.04.2007 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbradley
I still maintain that they would've broken up, long period of hiatus, Cobain would have done decent (if not amazing) solo stuff, and they would have reformed.

The standard alternative rock plan. Except with more hype.

Yeah that's pretty much my view of it. I'd say they'd release another album, and then break up. Kurt would go under the radar a little, perhaps with one or two decent solo albums, then Nirvana would reform in about 2005.

SynthethicalY 05.04.2007 03:12 AM

I think Kurt, would have made noise records with Lee or Thurston, And he and Kim would have been vocalist.

pbradley 05.04.2007 03:16 AM

they could have toured with the Pixies, that would've been sick

jon boy 05.04.2007 04:56 AM

i heard american idiot the other day and liked it.

MellySingsDoom 05.04.2007 05:04 AM

The Carpenters' "Message To Love" is a real rockin' song.

fugazifan 05.04.2007 08:20 AM

elton john kicks ass!
i but some cheap vinyl the other day and picked up goodbye yellow brick road for about 4.50 $. i also got the platters and go gos each for a buck. and darkness on the edge of town also for about 4.50
but GBYBR is anm amazing album...