Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

amerikangod 05.05.2009 09:48 PM

I just watched ten minutes of '3 Fast 3 Furious' or whatever the fuck it's called.

chairman of the bored 05.05.2009 10:02 PM

that one scene in inland empire of laura dern running down that curving ramp or whatever up into an extreme close-up bugs me out every fucking time

chairman of the bored 05.05.2009 10:06 PM

i just watched he wrestler...rourke at the deli was great!...rourke overall was really good...and i think i liked the movie...ill give it some time...but fuck,i feel like aronofsky too easily lapses into melodrama and this is a weakness in most of his films...thats why i think pi is his best because there is nothing melodramatic or cliche (in terms of storytelling; not style, technique, etc.) about it

Tokolosh 05.06.2009 07:54 AM

HeHe. Incase it hasn't been posted yet.

For anyone interested in the LOTR trilogy and low-budget independent filmmaking.
It was released online a few days ago and apparently only cost 4.500 grand to make.
I'm having a good laugh...

About
The Hunt For Gollum is an unofficial not for profit short film by a group of enthusiast filmmakers. As a Lord of the Rings Fan Film, we are not affiliated with the Tolkien Estate or New Line Cinema and are producing this project as an entirely non commercial film. As with other fan films we are making this purely for the enjoyment of the material and the experience of making a high quality low budget film.
So Far...
Production began in early 2007 when writer-director Chris Bouchard started adapting the script from the Appendices of The Lord of the Rings. Since then, the first three days of filming were completed in September 2007 on location in N Wales.

Free Distribution
As a non-profit production, the entire film will be released online for FREE download only on the internet on www.hunt4gollum.com

Collaborative Film Making
Making a high quality non-profit film would not be possible without the commitment of a large number of talented cast and crew. This production has been open to everyone for collaboration, and as a result, the passion for this project has drawn together a diverse blend of working professionals, students and youth from every walk of life.
Disclaimer
The Hunt For Gollum is a non-profit film being made for private use, and is not intended for sales of any sort. No money is being made from this film, and no one was paid to make it. It is in no way affiliated with, or sponsored or approved, by Tolkien Enterprises, the heirs or estate of J.R.R. Tolkien, Peter Jackson, New Line Cinema, HarperCollins Publishers Ltd. or any of their repective affiliates or licensees. The content is for the private use of the downloader and should not be sold, rented, or used for any commercial enterprise in any way, shape, or form. We make no claim to any characters, storylines, prop designs, names, logos or situations that are trademarked, copyrighted or otherwise protected by federal, state, international or other intellectual property law. This work is produced solely for the personal, uncompensated enjoyment of ourselves and other Tolkien fans.

me. 05.06.2009 08:34 AM

and also watched - 'Tonan Kadobeya Nikai no Onna' (The Woman in the second floor apartment in the Southwest corner), with Ryo Kase, which was great.

http://www.tounankadobeya.com/trailer/index.html

atsonicpark 05.06.2009 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chairman of the bored
i just watched he wrestler...rourke at the deli was great!...rourke overall was really good...and i think i liked the movie...ill give it some time...but fuck,i feel like aronofsky too easily lapses into melodrama and this is a weakness in most of his films...thats why i think pi is his best because there is nothing melodramatic or cliche (in terms of storytelling; not style, technique, etc.) about it

Amen brother. I thought the Wrestler was pretty good but I didn't realize it had this huge following behind it until recently. It's not THAT good. It's just the Jake "The Snake" segments from Beyond the Mat expanded upon. Requiem for a Dream is amongst the worst films I've ever seen in my life. I don't like Aronofsky. Pi is pretty good though.

I just watched something called COMMA, PREGNANT PAUSE. Some weird art film about cell phones. Features a scene where a guy dressed as a cell phone stares at the sunset and recites every Pokemon character. Kinda shitty.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 05.06.2009 01:17 PM

Requiem for a Dream wasn't THAT bad. I actually found it to be quite entertaining. It's just overrated by teenage pseudo film buffs.

Same goes for Richard Kelly's Donnie Darko, which I personally believe is excellent. It's not anywhere near one of the best films that I've seen, but it's pretty creepy, has time travel, a great soundtrack, and a wonderful 80's flick feel.

atsonicpark 05.06.2009 01:23 PM

Requiem for a Dream is awful. Shitty music video editing, awful acting. The only good thing is the soundtrack. SPUN was a much better trashy, nonsensical, MTV drug film.

Donnie Darko, to me, was ruined by the acting and the stupid and silly story. Only saving grace was James Duvall!

Just wanted to note, these are opinions I formed long before any kind of cult following developed for those movies.

Rob Instigator 05.06.2009 01:30 PM

Matrix 3 worst movie ever? worse than X men 3? NO WAY!
worse than spiderman 3? NO WAY MAN!

worse than darkman 3? NO WAY MAN!

I thought the wrestler was very good. cool movie. saw it on a BIG screen at an old theatre in houston. The Beyond The Mat influence is definitely there,. but this was more expanded upon. Not a lot of people have seen Beyond The Mat. very good film.

to complain about melodrama in film is ridiculous dude. that is like 99% of ALL films! pure melodrama!

atsonicpark 05.06.2009 01:31 PM

I said it was AMONGST the worst movies ever. I'd rather watch it than Pirates of the Caribean.

atsonicpark 05.06.2009 01:33 PM

I've been thinking lately about early point and click and FMV-based adventure games and how creepy they were.. anyone remember these:

For some reason, those games always creeped me out a lot....

Dr. Eugene Felikson 05.06.2009 01:33 PM

Mars Attacks!

atsonicpark 05.06.2009 01:36 PM

Oh fuck totally forgot about this one...

Rob Instigator 05.06.2009 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I said it was AMONGST the worst movies ever. I'd rather watch it than Pirates of the Caribean.

the first pirates was genius fun. they had a cl;ever idea and made a very entertaining funny family movie. pirates 2 and 3 however, HOLY MOLY, worse than the original cannonball run!

nicfit 05.06.2009 01:52 PM

Quote:

I've been thinking lately about early point and click and FMV-based adventure games and how creepy they were.. anyone remember these:

For some reason, those games always creeped me out a lot....

godsfavoritedog 05.06.2009 02:50 PM

Saw Gummo for the first time yesterday. That was a solid 90 minutes of "WTF"??? I still have no idea if I liked it or not.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 05.06.2009 02:56 PM

You liked it.

Trust me.

joe11121 05.06.2009 03:19 PM

Quote:

Haha, the only thing good about the Pirate movies is watching Kyra Knightly for a few hours *drool*

Derek 05.06.2009 03:24 PM

Requiem For A Dream is terrible.

THOUGH I watched it in someone's house when I was terribly drunk and feeling ill... and I don't think watching heroin addicts shoot up is too great when I feel like I'm going to throw my guts up. My friend slept through it, I should have just done that.

noisereductions 05.06.2009 03:25 PM

Quote:

Yeah, what bothers me is that there's nothing going on it. Most Lynch films have layers of dialogue, things happening in the background (literally and.. uh.. metaphorically I guess). Lynch shot with no script. There's been conflicting reports about this, but in 3 interviews he said he had no finished script, and many scenes were written on handkerchiefs or post-it notes the night before shooting. This shows, because it just never really adds up to much. It's an overly simple story, stretched out beyond belief. Some great performances, but it's missing all the things I love about Lynch. There's almost no humor, it's actually boring at times (a sad Lynch first), no Badalamenti... that scene with that Beck song playing is embarassing! Also, it looks like shit, the best scenes (the rabbits stuff) is reused from.. uh.. Rabbits. Lynch's films kept getting longer and longer when he was using film; with DV, he could be as indulgent as he wanted. He shot something like 60 hours for Inland Empire. Just ridiculous. Oh, there's a shaky camera at times, another Lynch first. The whole film is just a big ugly dinosaur.

There's lots to love about it though. GReat atmosphere, great stilted/awkward performances, and like I said.. it really sticks with ya.

It's weird, because I can't really disagree with you, but there's something I totally love about it as well. And there's parts that scared the hell out of me. I dont know. But yeah, RABBITS was already awesome before the inclusion.