Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Unpopular Musical Opinions (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=972)

Death & the Maiden 06.29.2009 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swa(y)
i still prefer keith's vocals to rollins.

This. I'll take the Circle Jerks over nearly every other hardcore band.

SuperCreep 06.29.2009 05:07 AM

Rollins is what makes Black Flag for me. I really like Keith and Dez too (I hate Ron Reyes), but take any of their vocalists before Henry and have 'em sing something off Damaged, it absolutely pales in comparison to Henry. His pure rage and aggression as a vocalist (and on stage) was just what the band needed to match the music as the band's sound was expanding. I hate it when people give him shit for Black Flag "selling out" when they were making music that was hardly marketable at all with him.

demonrail666 06.29.2009 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Satan
lydia lunch annoys the shit out of me.

I want a T shirt with that on it.

Lydia Lunch is a bore. She might not have been 30 years ago but the last twenty she's been nothing but.

demonrail666 06.29.2009 05:41 AM

who is that?

demonrail666 06.29.2009 05:46 AM

Anyone who doesn't smile when they hear the intro to Survivor's 'Eye of the Tiger' is not worth saving in a fire.

demonrail666 06.29.2009 05:49 AM

Quote:

id rather not say as i wouldnt want that to turn into a debate. just a sneakin' suspition ive always had. lydia is far prettier than this person, but thats all ill say.

or...WAS far prettier for that matter.

For fuck sake man, TELL ME! You can't say something like that and then remain silent.

Derek 06.29.2009 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
This is by far the best band nu-metal ever spawned (though I dunno if I'd call 'em "numetal" necessarily):

AMEN were so badass.

demonrail666 06.29.2009 06:09 AM

Quote:

"live through this" is ... better than anything bikini kill ever did.

naaaah

ZEROpumpkins 06.29.2009 06:32 AM

Zeropumpkins on...
Fugazi - very good band, sometimes a bit boring, but killer when they're at their best
My username - The best example of someone naming themselves after a band and then later regretting it incredibly. This name will forever be a burden for me on this board. No matter how cool I get, I'm still the kid with the pumpkins fanboy name.

demonrail666 06.29.2009 06:33 AM

If all music critics were made to listen to every album they reviewed while driving, things would be very different. 'Born in the USA' and 'Eliminator' would top every critics poll.

ZEROpumpkins 06.29.2009 06:42 AM

Haha I like that one.

_slavo_ 06.29.2009 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZEROpumpkins
Zeropumpkins on...
Fugazi - very good band, sometimes a bit boring, but killer when they're at their best
My username - The best example of someone naming themselves after a band and then later regretting it incredibly. This name will forever be a burden for me on this board. No matter how cool I get, I'm still the kid with the pumpkins fanboy name.

to be honest, i have you much more associated with that Michael J. Fox avatar than your board name :)

ZEROpumpkins 06.29.2009 06:57 AM

I'm keeping the avatar, then :)

_slavo_ 06.29.2009 08:22 AM

you just called me Scott?

:D

verme (prevaricator) 06.29.2009 09:45 AM

i have yet to listen to a record by the rolling stones.
same applies to the beatles.

Shifty Prophet 06.29.2009 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by verme (prevaricator)

Well you should, if only to put other music in its proper context.

Satan 06.29.2009 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by verme (prevaricator)

holy shit

i love tom petty

SuperCreep 06.29.2009 09:52 AM

I haven't listened to Born in the USA while driving (don't plan on doing it now either), but god, that album is shitty. It's a shame it has "I'm on Fire" is on it, which is a killer song.

Savage Clone 06.29.2009 10:34 AM

Neutral Milk Hotel is unlistenable.

Savage Clone 06.29.2009 10:40 AM

It's The Voice.

Antagon 06.29.2009 11:16 AM

Celebrity Skin (the song, not the album) is actually not to shabby. (Still hate Hole though)

viewtiful_alan 06.29.2009 11:18 AM

Quote:

and listen..all the praise the dictators get for being punk godfathers....FCUK THOSE GUYS. totally suck. tooooottttaaaaallllly ssssuuuuucccckkk.

i hate 'em.

theres one band as far as im concerned that gets that title...and its not the velvet underground (whom i do acknowledge as being largely influential on the music i listen to...as well as being a great band)..

but that title...it goes to the stooges. and the stooges alone at that. with all the "who started it london or new york" shit.....the pistols and the ramones BOTH covered stooges songs, not NY dolls songs, not television songs, not mc5 songs...stooges songs.

and the dead boys really were not all that great either...total stooges rip offs if there ever was such a thing. more interesting, yes, that yr typical stooges rip off (id listen to em over awesome color any day...sorry thrston)...but stillll.

The Dictators are anti-art and anti-pretension and fun as hell. Go Girl Crazy is one of my favorite fucking albums. Sure.. there's better music out there, but I'm sure handsome dick could beat the shit out of all of em.

floatingslowly 06.29.2009 11:48 AM

^^^ Handsome Dick's a cool guy. got to chat with him for awhile at his bar in NYC.

on topic: The Lonely Island may be the greatest rap act of all time.

automatic bzooty 06.29.2009 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
Anyone who doesn't smile when they hear the intro to Survivor's 'Eye of the Tiger' is not worth saving in a fire.

i start laughing whenever i hear that song.

Decayed Rhapsody 06.29.2009 01:19 PM

The My Beautiful Son EP turned me into a Hole fan. I didn't want to like them, but I can't help what I like.

Bikini Kill is pretty lame. Same goes for most of the Kill Rock Stars roster.

viewtiful_alan 06.29.2009 04:37 PM

I love Hole. Period the end. Live Throught This is filled with really driving Nirvana style grunge, and none of the songs overstay their welcome.
Celebrity Skin is a great excercise in sad sack pop (you get the best of both worlds).
I'm assuming beyond that they suck though.

Seandi 06.29.2009 04:51 PM

The Black Lips ain't no big deal

sarramkrop 06.29.2009 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Decayed Rhapsody
The My Beautiful Son EP turned me into a Hole fan.

Same here. And I think Drunkdriver is the best band out there right now too. We might be twins.

jennthebenn 06.29.2009 05:23 PM

Bikini Kill were by and large garbage; Bratmobile were far better 'cause Allison Wolfe had a fucking sense of humor as well as defined feminist
sensibility. There is nothing worse than an educated person with no sense of humor (Kathleen Hanna).

youthoftomorrow 06.29.2009 07:49 PM

Quote:

its odd, thinking about this. for all the LOVE i have for black flag, i almost never actually listen to them. damaged is the only one i ever go back to from time to time.

this is actually how i feel about Sonic Youth.

i still throw on DDN or Nurse every once in a while and i still have great respect for them (and i still hang out on here), but, for the most part, i've moved on to other types of music.

that and i could never fucking stand any of the SYRs.

dirty bunny 06.29.2009 08:54 PM

It's hard to believe Death Cab would be popular with indie kids considering how utterly bland they are.

Shifty Prophet 06.29.2009 08:56 PM

Yes, but bland rock has become the new sound of ''indie''.

automatic bzooty 06.29.2009 08:57 PM

sway, AGREED.

joe11121 06.29.2009 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viewtiful_alan
I love Hole. Period the end. Live Throught This is filled with really driving Nirvana style grunge, and none of the songs overstay their welcome.
Celebrity Skin is a great excercise in sad sack pop (you get the best of both worlds).
I'm assuming beyond that they suck though.

I don't know if you are kidding or not. But I wouldn't say I love them, but they're not an awful band. Live Through This is a pretty good album.

automatic bzooty 06.29.2009 10:49 PM

what little i've heard of hole is decent, but i'm very reluctant to listen to them because of courtney love.

Decayed Rhapsody 06.29.2009 10:50 PM

"riot grrrls think you can stop but you're forever in her debt"

Courtney's ode to Yoko Ono of sorts. Probably the best lyrics she's written: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0apE0AbKfhA

Shifty Prophet 06.29.2009 11:25 PM

swa(y) I like you. I like what you say and how you say it, so please don't get offended when I ask you to shut your fucking mouth about Courtney Love.

Shifty Prophet 06.29.2009 11:29 PM

Quote:

its zipped dude...my pants as well as my mouth.

Fair enough.

joe11121 06.29.2009 11:49 PM

Quote:

it may have been one of the best albums kurt ever wrote...haha, jk

This made me laugh so hard. hahaha

EVOLghost 06.29.2009 11:51 PM

Quote:

death cab for cutie REALLLLLLLLY suck. shit shit shit total shit. they are really popular around here amongst "indie kids".

same....and Postal Service shit too......fuck@