Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What TV are you watching (live, dvd, etc.)? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=40798)

Severian 07.16.2017 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
@severian - i saw unfamiliar words and unfocused my eyes. shhh, man. im still in the first season of the reboot-- with dickens, and the farty aliens, and that museum in nevada with donald trump in it and the dad-- yeah the last i saw was the dad. now shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

All I did was name good episodes. "No spoilers." Bahahaha. You don't get that yet, but you will.

Anyway, DUDE you're in the SHITTEST part of the entire reboot. Absolute shittest. FORWARD!!!

Honestly you could probably do just fine skipping to the final episode of the first season. I think it's a two-parter. Then... then things start to get good.

And then they get GREAT.

And then they got so good that I said "Wow! Fuck Star Wars AND Star Trek, I'm a fucking Doctor Who guy!!!" Serious shit man. Seriously good shit.

Severian 07.16.2017 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LifeDistortion
I just laugh at anybody in fandoms that gets pissy about introducing heroines into sci-fi worlds. Same happened with Rey in Star Wars. Cause you can create a sci-fi universe that promotes infinite possibilities and alien species, but make it focused on a female and a percentage of vocal fans will cry over them ruining a great universe by incorporating a female hero into it.

Agreed. Totally. But I think The Doctor thing is just a wee bit different. Anyone who didn't want to see A Force Awakens because one of the main characters was a female (nothing new--- one was always a female!) is just a dick and has absolutely no reason for being even the slightest bit put off.

This Doctor thing might feel to some like having their beloved character erased. It's changing the sex, probably as a trial run for a future female Bond. That might just feel strange to some people, and it might have nothing to do with sexism or anything like that. Y'know? Maybe some of them are chicks who think the Doctor is totally hot! Maybe some of them are women who enjoy having a totally benevolent, asexual, god-like male figure who will never leer and has zero chance of being a predatory fuck. Y'know? I know I like that about the Doctor. In an age of Game of Thrones where rape is fucking entertainment... in the age of Trump-pussy-grabbery, it's very nice to have a character that actually provides an ideal for men to strive for.

I don't have a goddamn thing against women in SF, or a woman Doctor, though... I'm curious as fuck, and I say bring it on! But if I didn't feel that way, I'm not sure it would necessarily mean I'm a sexist. A Star Wars fan boycotting Star Wars because of a new character who is a female fucking Jedi? That's just insanely sexist and stupid. I don't think they're really comparable, but either way, I'm not saying anyone should actually have a problem with this.

I'm a good guy!

!@#$%! 07.16.2017 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
All I did

laaaa laaa laaa laaa im not listening

or

MAN. SHUT UP.

no advanced notices welcome. if i need help i'll ask.

*but i'm not asking*

all is good. let me be.

kindly cease & desist

I'M WATCHING

LifeDistortion 07.16.2017 05:01 PM

They're destroying all your sci-fi universes. The Doctor is a woman, The newest badass Jedi is a woman, the new Star Trek captain is a woman. Cause some literally just want people to recreate the thing they've loved for decades exactly how it looked back in the 60's/70's. Nothing can change. Doctor Who itself is all about change, its literally about an alien that travels time and space, never staying in the same place. Always on the move.

ilduclo 07.16.2017 05:10 PM

Letterkenny 3. Pitter patter!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkGXVkXF-p8

LifeDistortion 07.16.2017 05:56 PM

Not sure about your argument Severian, can a female Doctor not be asexual? And being asexual doesn't equate not being romantic. Matt Smith's Doctor was all about how he was destined to be with River Song. I remember some viewers complaining when Clara kissed Matt Smith's Doctor. People are going to like various aspects of a series, but when you've been around for 5 decades I think its unrealistic to expect the new people taking over that series aren't allowed the freedom to play around and do things differently. You or I may not like the changes, but to act like they ruined your thing. Its not your thing, its their thing. You can enjoy it, you can criticize it, but to act like they aren't allowed to change something cause its not how the previous people who had the control didn't do that you're not allowing them to put their own vision, you just want them to duplicate someone else's vision.

Severian 07.16.2017 07:32 PM

Quote:

Not sure about your argument Severian, can a female Doctor not be asexual? And being asexual doesn't equate not being romantic. Matt Smith's Doctor was all about how he was destined to be with River Song. I remember some viewers complaining when Clara kissed Matt Smith's Doctor. People are going to like various aspects of a series, but when you've been around for 5 decades I think its unrealistic to expect the new people taking over that series aren't allowed the freedom to play around and do things differently. You or I may not like the changes, but to act like they ruined your thing. Its not your thing, its their thing. You can enjoy it, you can criticize it, but to act like they aren't allowed to change something cause its not how the previous people who had the control didn't do that you're not allowing them to put their own vision, you just want them to duplicate someone else's vision.

Well, my idea I guess was that men are pretty shitty, and there are a lot of nasty men in power, so the fantasy of a make character who is represents the opposite of the nasty Putins and Trumps might be a nice thing for some. I dunno. Just thinking.

Don't get me wrong buddy. I welcome a female Doctor. I'm just playing devil's advocate. Like you said, it's not my show, so it wouldn't matter if I didn't like it. Also, I'm actually surprised more people didn't see this coming, what with River and Missy. It took me by surprise, but I'm all for it. Don't misunderstand, and think I have any issue with this at all.

I was just saying it might be a little different than the Rey thing. I didn't even know there WAS a Rey thing like the Rey thing you're talking about. I didn't know there was any significant portion of SW fandom that was against having a woman in a main role. That's just fucked up. And it was a new character. So... what's there to be upset about? With the Doctor, you have a not new character. Opposite of new, even though the Doctor is technically new every few years. It's bound to ruffle some feathers, and I'm just saying maybe that's not ALL due to sexism. Not going to see A Force Awakens because a woman is among the new characters? I don't even get that, and it's pure sexism.

Severian 07.16.2017 07:34 PM

Quote:

laaaa laaa laaa laaa im not listening

or

MAN. SHUT UP.

Ugh! Fine. I didn't give any freakin' spoilers.
But yeah ok whatever

!@#$%! 07.16.2017 08:17 PM

Quote:

Ugh! Fine. I didn't give any freakin' spoilers.
But yeah ok whatever

i wouldn't mind talking about the ones i've already seen

AS LONG AS FUTURE EPISODES ARE NOT BROUGHT TO BEAR INTO THE CONVERSATION

like "oh, wait for season X when..."

jayzus

even titles spoil it for me. i hate titles.

BUT ANYWAY. you're right that it starts clunky. the attack of the mannequins was a pretty weak starter for any kind of show.

now just don't tell me what happens next. "it gets better" suffices. i'll get to all of it in due time.

and now i really wanna watch the old, old, old episodes. im gonna try to line them up somehow. even if they're a bit shit with the empty sets.

btw i like how in the new doctor, it still looks low-budget. like, sherlock looks glossy as fuck. but dr. who, while updated for the century, still looks cheaply made. at least this season. and that's a good thing i think. keeps the attention on the "mental" part. i mean the abstract stuff.

Severian 07.16.2017 08:43 PM

Quote:

i wouldn't mind talking about the ones i've already seen

AS LONG AS FUTURE EPISODES ARE NOT BROUGHT TO BEAR INTO THE CONVERSATION

like "oh, wait for season X when..."

jayzus

even titles spoil it for me. i hate titles.

BUT ANYWAY. you're right that it starts clunky. the attack of the mannequins was a pretty weak starter for any kind of show.

now just don't tell me what happens next. "it gets better" suffices. i'll get to all of it in due time.

and now i really wanna watch the old, old, old episodes. im gonna try to line them up somehow. even if they're a bit shit with the empty sets.

btw i like how in the new doctor, it still looks low-budget. like, sherlock looks glossy as fuck. but dr. who, while updated for the century, still looks cheaply made. at least this season. and that's a good thing i think. keeps the attention on the "mental" part. i mean the abstract stuff.

I was just about to message you and apologize for blah. Not gonna now cuz we seem cool.

Anyway, OK. NO TALK ABOUT FUTURE EPISODES. It gets better. PEORIOD.

I'm glad you like it well enough. I know the episode you're on. Good'un. Mannequins was not so much in my opinion.

!@#$%! 07.16.2017 11:01 PM

yeah man nothing to it, dont' worry about it

so on the same line i just recommend that you stick to buffy a bit and get past the 90sness and into awesomeness

LifeDistortion 07.17.2017 12:23 AM

I just think its silly that there are still people who are sci-fi fans and they get bent out of shape over heroines being the focus of the story as if we didn't grow up watching Ellen Ripley, and Agent Scully, and Buffy, and Max (Dark Angel). How is casting a female lead as the hero of sci-fi series still a controversial topic?

Rob Instigator 07.17.2017 08:40 AM

many sci fi and fantasy fans are DORKS, like GRADE-A, cannot talk to a girl, cannot even be in the same room as a cute girl for fear of shitting their own pants, and they HATE that women have that power over them so they HATE when strong awesome women are brought into their magical make believe fandom worlds. maybe?

!@#$%! 07.17.2017 09:35 AM

Quote:

I just think its silly that there are still people who are sci-fi fans and they get bent out of shape over heroines being the focus of the story as if we didn't grow up watching Ellen Ripley, and Agent Scully, and Buffy, and Max (Dark Angel). How is casting a female lead as the hero of sci-fi series still a controversial topic?

well of course it's silly.

there's also... xena, lara croft, wonder woman, nikita... even cagney and lacey for fucks sakes

but do you mean in the general population or here in this board?

ETA: AEON FLUX. how could i forget??

demonrail666 07.17.2017 10:42 AM

Quote:

This Doctor thing might feel to some like having their beloved character erased. It's changing the sex, probably as a trial run for a future female Bond. That might just feel strange to some people, and it might have nothing to do with sexism or anything like that. Y'know?
I don't have a goddamn thing against women in SF, or a woman Doctor, though... I'm curious as fuck, and I say bring it on!

I feel the same but I think this drive for a female Doctor needs to be careful what it wishes for. The best Doctors have usually been quite bumbling, and ultimately dependent on the bravery and pragmatism of their (traditionally female) assistant. (The Tom Baker and Leela team-up was a perfect example of that.) Reversing that gender dynamic (a bumbling female doctor having to rely on the street-smarts of her (we assume) male assistant) could end up being more offensive to women than the traditional set up. And if the writers try to address that by turning the new doctor into more of an all-powerful action-woman type (basically Lailla with a boffin brain) then the whole dynamic between her and her assistant will need a significant rethink - and, given how dependent the series is on that relationship, do they really want to start tinkering with it?

Rob Instigator 07.17.2017 10:44 AM

so much hubbub over a deadly dull tv show.....

!@#$%! 07.17.2017 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
The best Doctors have usually been quite bumbling, and ultimately dependent on the bravery and pragmatism of their (traditionally female) assistant.

slightly unrelated, but what do you think are good years/seasons of OLD dr. whos? i really really really wanna catch some old ones.

they used to have them on PBS back in the day (that's "public" tv) and i spotted a few but i was never able to get any sort of continuity or anything.

the thing is the show goes back to the dawn of time and not everything is available on disc but i'd like to try finding something if you have suggestions.

i almost tried doing this some years ago but ended up not doing it. this might be a good time to retry.

Severian 07.17.2017 11:14 AM

Quote:

yeah man nothing to it, dont' worry about it

so on the same line i just recommend that you stick to buffy a bit and get past the 90sness and into awesomeness

Will do. Might have to forge ahead a bit though, then double back once it grip me. I've had luck with that approach in the past.

Severian 07.17.2017 11:24 AM

Quote:

I feel the same but I think this drive for a female Doctor needs to be careful what it wishes for. The best Doctors have usually been quite bumbling, and ultimately dependent on the bravery and pragmatism of their (traditionally female) assistant. (The Tom Baker and Lailla team-up was a perfect example of that.) Reversing that gender dynamic (a bumbling female doctor having to rely on the street-smarts of her (we assume) male assistant) could end up being more offensive to women than the traditional set up. And if the writers try to address that by turning the new doctor into more of an all-powerful action-woman type (basically Lailla with a boffin brain) then the whole dynamic between her and her assistant will need a significant rethink - and, given how dependent the series is on that relationship, do they really want to start tinkering with it?

Hmm... I see what you mean. I do I do.

I thought about the pisisbibility of a female doctor with a female sidekick. Then I thought about the possibility of a female doctor with a sort of sexless alien sidekick. That could work. But I think the Doctor has been awesome when non-bumbling. My favorites in fact are Tennant (who, ok, was pretty goddamn bumbling, but always tempered that with relentless cool), and Matt Smith (who was almost autistic, but not exactly bumbling, and surprisingly forceful and cocksure when he got riled up) and I love Baker, but Peter Capaldi has a lot in common with Baker, and Peter Capaldi's doctor is probably the most arrogant and brash. So there's plenty of room to fiddle with the Doctor's personality, and make this work.

But the sidekick thing, I dunno. You're right. That could be a one-step-forward-two-steps-back kind of thing. And I don't rightly know what to think right now. As long as they don't make it a female Doctor with a female sidekick a la Rose, for whom things get ever so slightly saucy. That would be just too much, and would push me past my limit. I have some issues with the homosexual tokenism that is now pretty common on TV. Often, these token characters just reinforce really crap stereotypes despite their purported intent of shattering glass ceilings.

(If you've seen the mandated 1 gay/1 lesbian per show hijinx of shows like Arrow, Flash, Supergiel and Legends of Tomorrow, you'll know what I mean. Those gay caricatures in capes do nothing to leave stereotypes behind.)

Blah!

Severian 07.17.2017 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
so much hubbub over a deadly dull tv show.....

Shut your stupid fuck! :mad:

demonrail666 07.17.2017 11:44 AM

My favourite Dr was Tom Baker. Most of his stories are available on DVD through the BBC. Before the reboot it never really worked in terms of seasons but on individual stories (usually 2-4 episodes long)

Some Baker-era classics worth hunting out are

Genesis of the Daleks
Ark in Space
Pyramids of Mars
Seeds of Doom
The Brain of Morbius

Some non-Baker but still very good

The Curse of Fenric - McCoy (a terrible Dr but a great story)
Caves of Androzani - Davidson (regularly tops polls as the best story ever. Not sure about that but it is very good)

!@#$%! 07.17.2017 11:50 AM

the title "genesis of the daleks" souns just about right to start

gonna guess "ark in space" refers to the tardis so that might be a good intro

alright! gonna go fishing in the pond that is netflix. thanks!

Rob Instigator 07.17.2017 12:50 PM

so dull....

!@#$%! 07.17.2017 01:04 PM

Quote:

so dull....

ha ha

so troll!

LifeDistortion 07.17.2017 01:06 PM

Quote:

many sci fi and fantasy fans are DORKS, like GRADE-A, cannot talk to a girl, cannot even be in the same room as a cute girl for fear of shitting their own pants, and they HATE that women have that power over them so they HATE when strong awesome women are brought into their magical make believe fandom worlds. maybe?

It takes all kinds. Come on, you're playing to a stereotype, one that itself has been played up in movies and television. I think that's a surface level perspective. From the posts I've read by complainers, its less a nerdy, lonely guy thing and just the lame, type of PMS jokes, or women can't drive cars let alone a Tardis level sexism, but as I've said, there have been pop culture heroines that have broke through in the world of sci-fi. Sure, there is always going to be pushback to something different. If they casted a black actor you'd get the small amount but vocal racists in the fandom.

demonrail666 07.17.2017 01:09 PM

Quote:

the sidekick thing, I dunno. You're right. That could be a one-step-forward-two-steps-back kind of thing. And I don't rightly know what to think right now. As long as they don't make it a female Doctor with a female sidekick a la Rose, for whom things get ever so slightly saucy. That would be just too much, and would push me past my limit. I have some issues with the homosexual tokenism that is now pretty common on TV. Often, these token characters just reinforce really crap stereotypes despite their purported intent of shattering glass ceilings.

(If you've seen the mandated 1 gay/1 lesbian per show hijinx of shows like Arrow, Flash, Supergiel and Legends of Tomorrow, you'll know what I mean. Those gay caricatures in capes do nothing to leave stereotypes behind.)

Blah!

I'd rather, instead of them finding a woman to play the Doctor, just because, that they'd have held out for the right woman, say Tilda Swinton or Helena Bonham Carter. Either of those would've really brought something new to the role, besides just their vaginas. The other problem with going with Jodie Whittaker is if she doesn't work out it'll only make it harder for there to be another woman Dr in the future.

Quote:

the title "genesis of the daleks" souns just about right to start

gonna guess "ark in space" refers to the tardis so that might be a good intro

alright! gonna go fishing in the pond that is netflix. thanks!

Ark in Space is more just a one off great SF story that anyone could enjoy without any knowledge of bigger themes within the series. The Ark itself doesn't refer to the Tardis.

For getting into those big themes I'd recommend Genesis as a way into the Daleks. It also introduces Davros.
The really vital (and most complex) one, though, is The Master: the Dr's arch enemy. As a way into 'him' I'd recommend The Deadly Assassin (also from the Baker era).

Watch those two and you're pretty much good to go. Although in reality, you could watch any story in any order and not exactly feel lost.

!@#$%! 07.17.2017 01:13 PM

alright, great, and thanks again! baker is the doctor i'd spot on pbs back in the 90s. i recognize his face and he had white hair (longest stint in the role, i read).

so netflix has the dr whos sorted by story after all. gonna look for those.

demonrail666 07.17.2017 01:20 PM

Quote:

i recognize his face and he had white hair

Hmm not sure about white hair.

Were you thinking about William Hartnell:

or John Pertwee?

Tom Baker was the one with the curly hair and the long scarf

!@#$%! 07.17.2017 01:31 PM

okay, i saw both pertwee and baker and i think i confused both their faces ha ha ha. i thought the one was the older version of the other. bha ha haa.

SO. genesis on the daleks is not on netflix, but i've queued up an earlier story, THE DALEK INVASION OF EARTH.

it's from 1964 and not your favorite doctor and *i know it's gonna be clunky as fuck and look like shit* but i'm willing to go for the archeology of the thing. it's the earliest dalek title i could find available.

i did find ARK IN SPACE though! i've queued it up also. and THE DEADLY ASSASSIN as well. 1974 + 1976.

demonrail666 07.18.2017 12:14 AM

Just read the planned synopsis for episode one of the new series. Apparently the new doctor crashes the TARDIS looking for a parking space then gets in a mood.

h8kurdt 07.18.2017 01:31 AM

Quote:

Just read the planned synopsis for episode one of the new series. Apparently the new doctor crashes the TARDIS looking for a parking space then gets in a mood.

Dun-dun-TISH!

Severian 07.18.2017 11:47 AM

Quote:

I'd rather, instead of them finding a woman to play the Doctor, just because, that they'd have held out for the right woman, say Tilda Swinton or Helena Bonham Carter. Either of those would've really brought something new to the role, besides just their vaginas. The other problem with going with Jodie Whittaker is if she doesn't work out it'll only make it harder for there to be another woman Dr in the future.

Hmm... Helena, huh? That's actually pretty goddamn great casting! Though honestly I think the gal who payed Missy is what started all of this. She is EXCELLENT. They should have had Capaldo regenerate as her, now that she's a dude again or whatever (haven't finished current season, so NO SPOILERS ;) )

Quote:

Ark in Space is more just a one off great SF story that anyone could enjoy without any knowledge of bigger themes within the series. The Ark itself doesn't refer to the Tardis.

For getting into those big themes I'd recommend Genesis as a way into the Daleks. It also introduces Davros.
The really vital (and most complex) one, though, is The Master: the Dr's arch enemy. As a way into 'him' I'd recommend The Deadly Assassin (also from the Baker era).

Watch those two and you're pretty much good to go. Although in reality, you could watch any story in any order and not exactly feel lost.

^^ Listen to the man. He knows more about early Doctor than I do by far.

Tom Baker was THE Doctor, at least until Tennant beat him in some BBC poll of all-time favorites. Now I think the two are orettt much tied for significance, but make no mistake, Baker is the dude. And yes, likely the one you'd remember from PBS as a kid.

Severian 07.18.2017 11:48 AM

Quote:

That's either a hilarious joke or a terrifying reality.

Severian 07.18.2017 11:51 AM

Quote:

okay, i saw both pertwee and baker and i think i confused both their faces ha ha ha. i thought the one was the older version of the other. bha ha haa.

SO. genesis on the daleks is not on netflix, but i've queued up an earlier story, THE DALEK INVASION OF EARTH.

it's from 1964 and not your favorite doctor and *i know it's gonna be clunky as fuck and look like shit* but i'm willing to go for the archeology of the thing. it's the earliest dalek title i could find available.

i did find ARK IN SPACE though! i've queued it up also. and THE DEADLY ASSASSIN as well. 1974 + 1976.

Netflix used to have EVERYTHING. It was AWESOME. From the first episode to the most recent season of the 2004- show (excluding, perhaps, the 1996 TV-movie which I haven't seen which features fucking ERIC ROBERTS!) A couple of years back they removed everything but the reboots, and it pissed me the fuck off.

Eta: Oh yah, you do DVD, not steaming. So they probably still have "classic" Who available that way. And if you're starting with early episodes, keep in mind how little funding they had, and how they faced a challenge in transforming one soundstage into the entire universe. They became quite good at it actually, and the show's writing had to rise to the occasion as a result.

There is certainly a lot to be gained from watching those early episodes.

Just don't stop with the new ones!

!@#$%! 07.18.2017 01:50 PM

the old stuff is in discs yeah

but amazon has all the new shit to stream, and that's where im getting it

streaming is great for convenience, but mail has more titles due to the first-sale doctrine which precludes the need to negotiate rental rights

ETA: you could rent "britbox" for a month and watch all 600 or so episodes. quite the marathon: http://sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthr...=40798&page=71

!@#$%! 07.18.2017 02:01 PM

lol sorry that was the wrong link

Rob Instigator 07.18.2017 02:02 PM

Doctor Huh?

!@#$%! 07.18.2017 02:10 PM

uh-huh...

!@#$%! 07.18.2017 02:12 PM

anyway here's the link ha ha ha http://nerdist.com/classic-doctor-wh...ing-exclusive/

Rob Instigator 07.18.2017 02:13 PM

Literotica has quite a lot of slash fiction abut the Good Doctor..... https://tags.literotica.com/doctor%20who