Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Unpopular Musical Opinions (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=972)

Shifty Prophet 07.04.2009 09:41 AM

For almost as long as I can remember, media critics have hailed ''Bitches Brew'' by Miles Davis as the best jazz album of all time. I never understood or agreed with that statement for several reasons.
1. Its not a jazz album.
2. It may be an important record as far as musical progression in the jazz genre, but it doesn't really hold a candle to many of Miles' other albums and great works by the likes of Coltrane, Dolphy,Ra, Mingus, Coleman, Ayler, Silver, Sharrock, Sanders etc...

I think Bitches Brew is a far overrated album and encourage any new listener of jazz to explore some of the names I posted above before thoughtlessly falling into the queue of Bitches Brew.

SuperCreep 07.04.2009 09:57 AM

I didn't like Bitches Brew until I heard the title track on a massive sound system. It sounded like Miles' trumpet was ripping straight through my soul. Really intense shit.

I don't think anyone in their right mind would consider a great "jazz" album, though. It's clearly jazz-fusion, and one of the best damned examples of it too.

Satan 07.04.2009 10:04 AM

i consider it one of the best albums ever of any genre

Newfoundland 07.04.2009 10:08 AM

Im really really disapointed by The Eternal.

Shifty Prophet 07.04.2009 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Satan
i consider it one of the best albums ever of any genre

For me I (and I find myself saying this alot) I think its mis-rated. In terms of relevance and influence, originality etc... yes escellent record.

musically? oh well, its good it hasparts that make me feel alive, but, when i listen to this record, a little part of me dies every time.

demonrail666 07.04.2009 10:30 AM

I don't listen to Bitches Brew that often but when I do I'm never anything other than amazed by it. Mis-rated, over-rated, under-rated, I don't know. I do think it's sort of taken for granted though. Like, 'oh yeah, Bitches Brew, awesome', when, for me at least, it takes for me to actually sit down and listen to it again to remind myself just how amazing it is actually is.

Newfoundland 07.04.2009 10:39 AM

It´s really strange for me that Miles disliked (and talked about it in interviews) Coltrane´s freer stuff from 65 onwards, saying Coltrane sounded like he had lost his mind etc., and then he made Bitches Brew. Really different music but almost equally fucked up/weird.

AllHandsOnTheBigOne 07.04.2009 10:59 AM

Bitches Brew is one of my favorite albums of all time. Listen to it and On the Corner. His innovations in the studio and unique approach to his instrument are what set him apart on Bitches Brew, and his melding African tradition stuff with jazz to create complex polyrythms and an emphasis on rhythm over melody and harmony are what to look for on On the Corner.

Coltrane's avant-garde work was derivative. He didn't do anything for the avant-garde movement other than be a famous jazz musician who slightly crossed over into it. Don't get me wrong, I love Coltrane, and he did push jazz along, but during the first 20 years of Miles' career he defined what jazz was. In terms of importance to the genre there is no contest.

GeneticKiss 07.04.2009 11:14 AM

Maybe it's because I've always been around it, but nothing about jazz sounds very avant garde to me anymore.

Even the most atonal skronk sounds traditional.

demonrail666 07.04.2009 11:15 AM

I may be completely wrong in this, but I tend to think that Coltrane, at least during his major improv period, was more influential outside of jazz than he was inside it.

Satan 07.04.2009 11:36 AM

i'm talking strictly musically.

music and personal politics DO NOT MIX. it's about what it sounds like, not some jackass in a rolling stone cubicle's opinion and dissection of it.

Glice 07.04.2009 11:40 AM

Obviously, you're forgetting your massive love for Prussian Blue and Skrewdriver?

Satan 07.04.2009 11:45 AM

you're funny.

sarramkrop 07.06.2009 03:51 AM

Fleetwood Mac's 'Tango In The Night' is an excellent pop record.

Death & the Maiden 07.06.2009 05:32 AM

No One is Innocent and The Great Rock n Roll Swindle, while being far from the Sex Pistols' best, are still really good songs.

jimmy jazz 07.07.2009 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe11121
Zwan had some good songs, haha.

yeah, it's a shame they didn't make it onto the album.

Ryan Adams is the best songwriter of the decade (though Cardinology is worse than a colonoscopy).

Earth 2 is an awful, pointless, aimless record of someone nodding off while they record.

Porcupine Tree are great.

Newfoundland 07.07.2009 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Fleetwood Mac's 'Tango In The Night' is an excellent pop record.

I dont doubt it.

I stopped at Tusk (which I love)

Is Tango... worth checking out?

joe11121 07.07.2009 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmy jazz
yeah, it's a shame they didn't make it onto the album.

Exactly, the unrecorded songs are the best

ZEROpumpkins 07.08.2009 02:45 AM

Wait wasn't that meant to be a zing?

ZEROpumpkins 07.08.2009 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swa(y)
led zeppelin are far more badass than the beatles.

That's not unpopular at all, dude. Unless by badass you mean better.

summer 07.08.2009 03:41 AM

I'd say Boris deserves to be bigger than either one >_>

summer 07.08.2009 03:47 AM

HMM to be quite honest, I cannot, seeing as I have not heard much Melvins, thus far.. I just thought it was a cute and cheeky comparison seeing as Boris got their name from a Melvins song, and all, y'know.. Melvins I have heard was pretty nice, though. Should probably look into an album or two. I still stand by Flood being better than most music, though. Just cause the second track is awesome.

sarramkrop 07.08.2009 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newfoundland
I dont doubt it.

I stopped at Tusk (which I love)

Is Tango... worth checking out?

It's not their best album by any stretch of the imagination. There are songs on it that are not so brilliant, but overall it stands as a good 80's pop record with catchy tunes, choruses etc.

SONIC GAIL 07.08.2009 08:41 AM

Quote:

haha..ok yr tryna be cute. i can appreciate that.

listen to houdini + stag. those 2 are my favs. ALL of it is good, though.

Funny you should bring up Melvins. I have been on an extereme Melvins kick for the past few months. I have always loved and respected thier music, but you have to let it kind of grow on you. When my husband used to play the Houdini disc ALL the time back in the day, I just didn't understand it. Then one day.... I found myself singing "Going Blind" and I had to listen to it over and over until I had memorized every lyric. That was it for me. I am now a die hard Melvins fan. I 'm into the "Nude With Boots" album right now. Gonna play it 'till every one around me gets sick of hearing it.

SuperCreep 07.08.2009 08:52 AM

Aside from bits of III and Houses of the Holy, Led Zeppelin bores the shit out of me these days. I still respect them, but I have no desire to listen to them ever again.

atsonicpark 07.08.2009 09:04 AM

- musically, les savy fav is one of the best bands around (mindblowing guitarist); too bad they'll never be taken seriously because of their singer.

- system of a down's first album is easily one of the best albums ever made... it's just brilliant. Truly unique songwriting. Occasionally goes into simplistic, boring tuned-to-mud-sharp one-finger riffs but it's sandwhiched between so many truly amazing riffs that it's okay. THe song "Soil" has to be in my top 20 favorite songs of all time. WHYTHEFUCKDIDYOUTAKEHIMAWAYFROMUSYOUMOTHERFUCKERS?

- Videodrone's "Jesus (Lord of the Apes)" is one of the creepiest songs ever

- (hEd)pe have a lot of good songs...

- The 5 or 6 people that compromise the Fire on Fire/Cerberus Shoal/Big Blood family are better than all the other "freak folk" bands combined.

- Gastr Del Sol is still way too underrated... mostly just remembered as a weird little indie footnote, "oh, jim o rourke and that guy from bastro's band.. whatever." kinda bullshit.

- Thinking Fellers Union Local # 282 are better than Sonic Youth

- Truman's Water are too good; they're so brilliant that it's difficult to listen to one album because there's so much to take in. It actually hurts to listen to them. Their music is like a reubik's cube.

- Squarepusher dude is a melodic genius.

- Venetian Snares dude is actually kinda boring. He's got some brilliant moments and I think his releases are getting better as of late, as he's introduced some simple melodies, but honestly most of his early shit is kinda boring.. just some guy with a bit too much time on his hand, manipulating gabber beats and not doing anything too remarkable with 'em. And he has released about 10,000 albums too many.

SONIC GAIL 07.08.2009 09:35 AM

Quote:

awesome awesome! nude with boots was/is great. i caught them on tour not long after that album came out. so awesome live...esp. considering the duo-drummer-action. they are supposed to be back sometimes soon...maybe ill see 'em again.

bryceville, fl? is that a weird take on niceville? j/k.

probally not.

Believe it or not it is a real town. We have a population of 500 if we're lucky. Down town consists of an old 1940's style gas staion, a fire station, a school and a southern Baptist church.

I want to see the Melvins Live! No one worth listnening to ever comes around these parts.

And yes the percussion is fucking awesome!

SONIC GAIL 07.08.2009 10:24 AM

Quote:

weird...is that in the panhandle area?

i know the melvins DO (unlike most bands) sometimes play florida...

Close.
We are on the east side of the panhandle, about 40 miles or so from the Atlantic ocean and 15 miles south of the Georgia state line. It is a very beautiful and unusual place to exist in. I can live in the country and still be close enough to the beach to have a classic Florida tan.

I bitch too much. We do have some decent shit come in to Jacksonville Beach. Hank III & Assjack are coming on Sunday and I already have tickets!
I was also lucky enough to be present at a Duff McKagan's Loaded (The Duff from Guns n Roses) show that was held at Jax Beach back in April. It was Phenomenal. It has been a good year. If only the Youth would come back down here.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 07.08.2009 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
- (hEd)pe have a lot of good songs...

Ew.

SONIC GAIL 07.08.2009 10:46 AM

Quote:

also...i know mudhoney played FL not tooooo long ago.

+++ i kinda wanted to see loaded, wasnt able to make it though. i hate g+r but have always had an massive amount of respect for duff. esp. for the person he is these days. hes always kept a certain "punk rock" sensibilty axl lacked.

I grew up on GnR and I have to admit that is what attracted me to the show initially, but it is REALLY GOOD STUFF. They have a great punk sound to them and they don't sound like GnR. Duff was one of the founding members so of course he is going to bring his past influences to the table, but he appears to take no pride in flaunting the GnR status. I got to meet him and he was a really nice guy. He hung out in the bar and talked with all of the fans for literally hours. For someone that was so fucked up back then he seems to have a really good handle on things.

Axl's voice is awesome, but Duff's has more heart. I like Chinese Democracy, but since I have been listening to Loaded it kind of sickens me that Axl is still making all this money from a band he pretty much forced the founding members out of. I don't listen to it much anymore (Just the 2 songs I reallly like).

Onani Nic 07.08.2009 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SONIC GAIL
Then one day.... I found myself singing "Going Blind" and I had to listen to it over and over until I had memorized every lyric. That was it for me. I am now a die hard Melvins fan.

That's a Kiss song you know.

Here's an unpopular one round here. From 74 til 77 Kiss were one of the greatest rock n roll bands of all time. You name them, Kiss were probably better than them.

Rob Instigator 07.08.2009 06:33 PM

KISSRULED

atsonicpark 07.08.2009 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
Ew.

WHY THE FUCK YOU FUCKIN WIT MEEEEEEEEEEEE
WHY THE FUCK YOU FUCKIN WIT MEEEEEEEEEEE
WHY THE FUCK YOU WASTIN' MY TIME?
WHY THE FUCK YOU KILLIN' MY SUNSHINE?
WITH FRIENDS LIKE YOU, WHO REALLY NEEDS 'EM?
YOUR SMILIN FACE, SO DISGRACED, IT'S SO DECIEVING
CUT MY WRISTS, YOU SEE THEM BLEEDIN'
SMILE ON ME IN EARTH
THERE WILL BE NO RESURRECTION
YEAH I DON'T NEED 'EM
YO WHAT'S UP?
THERE WAS A TIME WE WUZ TIGHT
THERE WAS A TIME WE'D MAKE LOVE
AND YOU'D SUCK MY DICK LIKE EVERY NIGHT
THERE WAS A TIME I'D TREAT YOU LIKE MY QUEEN
BUT NOW YOUR PUSSY'S DIRTY
LIKE YOU NEED MISTER CLEAN

that song rules.

Everyneurotic 07.08.2009 07:12 PM

i find kiss tolerable once every 7 years.

Green Magnesium 07.08.2009 07:48 PM

Liking Goldfrapp (apparently)

Kinda saw that one comin' tho.

dirty bunny 07.08.2009 08:26 PM

The Diamond Sea is too long.

SuperCreep 07.08.2009 08:56 PM

Deathcrush is the best thing Mayhem released by far.

Shifty Prophet 07.08.2009 09:11 PM

Amon Dull (I or II)>Van Der Graaf>Hawkwind>Floyd>Crimson

automatic bzooty 07.08.2009 09:33 PM

sy's "my new house" > the fall's "my new house"

blasphemous, i know.

SuperCreep 07.08.2009 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shifty Prophet
Amon Dull (I or II)>Van Der Graaf>Hawkwind>Floyd>Crimson

That wouldn't have blown my mind so much if Crimson weren't at the end. What gives?