Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   what are you reading? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=3180)

Bunbury 04.23.2007 07:51 PM

Currently Reading:
The Death and Life of Great American Cities- Jane Jacobs.

Future Reading:
My Mother: Demonology- Kathy Acker
Notebooks of a Naked Youth- Billy Childish

Iain 04.24.2007 04:14 AM

Currently reading Recollections of a Golden Triangle by Alain Robbe-Grillet.

jon boy 04.24.2007 04:29 AM

the secret history.

nomadicfollower 04.24.2007 04:11 PM

Nothing.
And I've never been more proud.

gmku 04.24.2007 04:14 PM

Batman: Dark Victory

Cued up: Batman: The Long Halloween

I also have Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas tucked in my bag, but I keep forgettting to pull it out and open the damned thing. It would be a re-read.

Bunbury 04.25.2007 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iain
Currently reading Recollections of a Golden Triangle by Alain Robbe-Grillet.

oh my,
"The Golden Triangle of the title refers to a bizarre sex cult that requires a steady supply of adolescent girls for sacrifice. The sordid tale is narrated by a kidnapper who passes himself off as a mad doctor who revels in slicing off the clothes of his prey ("I slit the golden dress axially with a single stroke of the scalpel"). He muses, "No sooner have I opened the paper at the sex-crimes page than I feel a flush come to my cheeks," and offers recurring images of "golden pubic fleece," "the black triangle of fleece," "the incipient fleece" and the "Titian-red pubis."

Quote:

the secret history.

I've always wanted to read that, Are you enjoying it?

Quote:

Nothing.
And I've never been more proud.
whys that?

Iain 04.25.2007 07:30 PM

I meant to type Recollections of THE Golden Triangle. That's the actual title. It isn't that kinky so far and the last book I read by the same author (Djinn) wasn't kinky at all. I had no idea, honest!

nomadicfollower 04.25.2007 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunbury

whys that?

Reading constantly takes away from one's own thoughts. It only likens thoughts to what is read.

pbradley 04.25.2007 08:56 PM

I will read The Man Who Was Thursday over the summer when I don't have all this class reading to do.

But what I am reading right now:
Metaphysics - Aristotle
Discipline and Punish: The Birth of the Prison - Foucault
Critique of Pure Reasion - Immanuel Kant (yet again)

!@#$%! 04.25.2007 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadicfollower
Reading constantly takes away from one's own thoughts. It only likens thoughts to what is read.

it's true, reading can be a form of addiction/evasion. a lot better than tv though, unless you're talking danielle steel (sp?) & such other pap.

Пятхъдесят Шест 05.21.2007 08:52 PM

Recently finished:

Currently reading:

Anyone care to share some thoughts on these books, if indeed you have read them?

Dead-Air 05.21.2007 10:33 PM

Just finished True Blood by Mike McQuay and now about to start the sequel Mother Earth. He was a working class guy, turned science fiction writer, who never made much money writing and died young. He was incredibly prophetic in some of his ideas though. In the early '80s he wrote Jitterbug which predicted a future world conquered by Islamic extremists, and in these books he deals with a world gone post-apocolypse not from nuclear war, but from global warming and genetic engineering. Pretty amazing, since he wrote the books in 1985 in the heighth of the Reagan years when nukes were the only civilization destroyer in most SF lit.

Alex's Trip 05.21.2007 11:03 PM

The List of Seven by Mark Frost. My English teacher let me borrow because we were talking about Twin Peaks the other day, and he remembered he had the book.

finding nobody 05.21.2007 11:15 PM

Just finished these:

I'm now reading:

and, I'm about to start:

Alex's Trip 05.21.2007 11:20 PM

Oh man. House of Leaves was a truly amazing book. I loved it.

SynthethicalY 05.21.2007 11:24 PM

I want to get house of leaves, but by the time I go to a bookstore, my funds are already depleted.

finding nobody 05.21.2007 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex's Trip
Oh man. House of Leaves was a truly amazing book. I loved it.

My brain is fucked just by flipping through it!

Silent Dan Speaks 05.21.2007 11:59 PM

I didn't think House of Leaves was as great as everyone says it is, but I did enjoy it quite a bit.

I'm reading Gravity's Rainbow at the moment.

SynthethicalY 05.22.2007 12:00 AM

I am reading Memory Babe.

racehorse 05.22.2007 07:04 AM

i'm rereading Leaves of Grass.
Novelwise i'm reading 100 years of solitude by gabriel garcia marquez