Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

!@#$%! 08.08.2007 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokolosh
Haven't seen La Teta y la Luna. Heard it's good though. The only other film I've seen of his is Huevos de Oro which was great.

You won't believe where I watched Jamón, jamón. On MTV of all channels.
They have this new thing now, where they show four films in a month at ten o'clock on Monday evenings.
No ad's in between, which surprised me. I missed the first three because I never watch that tripe.

I need to see more of his films for sure.

ah ha ha ha---mtv!!! i dont get the stuff, but i'm happy to see they are trying to improve their low-rent programming with quality stuff. about huevos de oro-- ha ha ha what a great name, works at multiple levels (eggs/testicles)-- i hadn't heard about it but i'll try to find & order it. la teta y la luna is full of crazy poetry. i won't divulge any secrets, you have to see it, really.

!@#$%! 08.08.2007 03:08 AM

and does anybody recognize this cropped still?

that's right! i just finished

what a movie! what magnificent shots, one after another! what a cast, and particularly what magnificent screen goddesses, jeanne moreau + monica vitti in the same frame?? oh i went nuts. as close to religious experience as a movie has been for me in a long time. UAU.

i am still in shock. what work of beauty.

Tokolosh 08.08.2007 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
about huevos de oro-- ha ha ha what a great name, works at multiple levels (eggs/testicles)

Much like:

Jamón, jamón :D

davenotdead 08.08.2007 08:37 AM

i never know what to say after something like this. i think i liked it.

A Thousand Threads 08.08.2007 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davenotdead

i never know what to say after something like this. i think i liked it.

Watched that last weekend for the first time, too, It had its premiere here.

"I think i liked it" is a good review.

But the last movie i watched was Transformers. Entertaining and stupid - loved it

Rob Instigator 08.08.2007 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokolosh
One man's meat is another man's cock. :D

I didn't expect to read that from you, seeing that you love art and all.
Greenaway is far from pointless and boring. More like genius.

I don't watch movies for art. I watch movies for entertainmnet, and that movie was the exact opposite of entertainment.

jon boy 08.08.2007 09:52 AM

i am told by kegmama to watch almost famous, so thats next.

Tokolosh 08.08.2007 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I don't watch movies for art. I watch movies for entertainmnet, and that movie was the exact opposite of entertainment.

Ok. In that case, don't even bother watching the rest of his films, 'cause they only get more "horrible".

nomowish 08.09.2007 01:47 AM

blastscenealibi 08.09.2007 02:01 AM

Just got done watching the Simpson's movie. It was so ironic because it was a bootleg and right from the start of the movie Bart was writing on the chalkboard a hundred times 'I will not illegally download this movie' and something else was shown having to do with bootlegging movies in the theater but don't recall exactly. So that made it cool from the beginning.

jon boy 08.09.2007 04:06 AM

transformers! and i loved it!

Alex's Trip 08.09.2007 04:19 AM

Y Tu Mamá También.

I liked it. I'm not sure how much though. The abruptness of the ending caught me off guard.

On another note, I don't get what the big deal is with Gael García Bernal. He ain't so cute. Diego Luna was better. Though their kiss was perfecto.

Norma J 08.09.2007 04:39 AM

Die Hard 4.0 (or 'Live Free or Die Hard' as it's apparently known as in the states).

WAS COOOOOL.

sarramkrop 08.09.2007 05:16 AM

Hawks and Sparrows
(Uccellacci e uccellini)

Italy 1966.
Director: Pier Paolo Pasolini
Cast: Totò, Ninetto Davoli, Femi Bunessi, Rossana Di Rocco, Lena Lin Solaro

"A fractured fairy-tale with touches of Brecht and Buñuel [and] Chaplin" (Gino Moliterno), Pasolini's oddball follow-up to The Gospel According to St. Matthew features Italian comedy star Totò and Pasolini fixture Ninetto Davoli as father-and-son vagabonds setting out on a picaresque journey across modern Italy. Their unlikely travelling companion is a talking crow (!) who spouts Marxist dogma and recounts for them the tale of Ciccillo and Ninetto, two disciples of St. Francis who converted birds to Christianity. Intended as an hommage to the heyday of Italian neorealism, and to the Italian Communist Party and its late leader Palmiro Togliatti (who died in 1964), Hawks and Sparrows is as polemical as it is playful, abounding in philosophical, historical and political references, filled with comic moments, and offering a fantastical take on one of Pasolini's chief concerns: the contradictory pulls of Marxism and Catholicism in Italian society. A key (if sometimes underappreciated) work in the Pasolini canon, it marks the decisive break away from the director's neorealist roots and towards the stylized allegory and poetic mythmaking that began to characterize his work. "One of [Pasolini's] finest inventions ... a delightful, provocative adventure ... the only film that comes to mind which starts off with singing credits" (Jonathan Rosenbaum). B&W, 35mm, in Italian with English subtitles. 86 mins.

luxinterior 08.09.2007 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex's Trip
On another note, I don't get what the big deal is with Gael García Bernal. He ain't so cute. Diego Luna was better.

Dude, WTF.

Diego Luna looks like he's 12.

Anyway, last night I watched The Bourne Identity and The Bourne Supremacy because I plan to see Ultimatum with my mom in about 2 hours. Identity was very good, I was surprised actually. Really the only thing I can complain about is that stupid part where he basically surfs on that dead guy's back and on the way down, manages to shoot a guy who is running up the stairs. That was retarded. At first I thought he was only going to use that guy to break his fall, and I thought, hey, that's pretty smart. But then they had to go and ruin it. Oh well. It was good nonetheless. Supremacy was just okay, I think. Right when they killed off Franka Potente's character I thought, Well this movie isn't going to be as good as the first. And it wasn't. But that wasn't the only problem. In a nutshell I think it just wasn't as suspenseful as the first. The first one had more downtime, when that tension usually starts to build up, and the second one was really lacking that. It had a great car chase though.

total-trash 08.09.2007 10:53 AM

labyrinth

Alex's Trip 08.09.2007 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luxinterior
Dude, WTF.

Diego Luna looks like he's 12.

And Gael looks like a bit like a monkey. Maybe it's just everyone that I know, but they all adore Gael García Bernal, and I just don't understand it.

He doesn't look twelve!

luxinterior 08.09.2007 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex's Trip
And Gael looks like a bit like a monkey. Maybe it's just everyone that I know, but they all adore Gael García Bernal, and I just don't understand it.

He doesn't look twelve!

You must know some very attractive looking monkeys then. On the whole though I think he's too pretty.

Also, yes: Twelve.

nomowish 08.09.2007 12:02 PM

Alex's Trip 08.09.2007 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luxinterior
You must know some very attractive looking monkeys then. On the whole though I think he's too pretty.

Also, yes: Twelve.

Monkey.

Now that I look up google pictures of Diego, he isn't that cute. But I still don't get the crazy over Gael. I think I liked Diego because he reminded me of Pasha from So You Think You Can Dance.