Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Is Trump really a serious contender for the Republican nomination? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=113183)

PLips 10.31.2016 03:57 PM

Donald Trump worships Mammon, the semitic God of money. It's in the Bible. Christians aren't supposed to worship it. I don't know I paid tribute to the Boognish. That's pretty fucked up. My favourite band has their own deity. When the fans die off it dies too.

How could people with no money look up to Trump?

pepper_green 10.31.2016 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PLips
How could people with no money look up to Trump?

you'd be very very surprised. animals would give their left/right limb just to make him pres. young and old. pretty and ugly.

Severian 10.31.2016 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilduclo
^ but fucking Comey can insert his mug into politics all he wants. Hopefully the first one to go in the HRC/TMC admin shuffle

Yeah that guy's on my shit list for real. Even my Democrat friends are *shocked* ... "oh my god, they're re-opening the case against Hillary"

Uhh... wow. Really? You work at a newspaper and you're taking your Facebook memes at face value?

• Case was never "closed"
• HRC was not a sender or recipient in any of the "new" / previously overlooked emails, so this literally has fuckall to do with her
• Comey is clearly humiliating himself and disgracing the bureau
• Oh hey, Trump has deliberately destroyed gobs of financial records rather than handing it over when asked
• Goddamn fucking Christ I hate the fact that you work with me.

Sorry. Not talking to you. Talking to my office mate who pissed me off by buying into all this shit and never even considering whether or not any critical thought was warranted.

pepper_green 10.31.2016 06:46 PM

fuck Hillary.

pepper_green 10.31.2016 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
• Case was never "closed"

that's not what she/they said. she's a lying bitch. you should reserved that vote. I hate her smile and her politics. she's mentally open to lots of danger. a women that cant and wont get dick from her husband is a dangerous, careless woman indeed. im talking debased pounding a log with a stick debased. she couldn't keep a classroom of kindergarten's safe. Obama brought the empathy of the world and the revolution to health care to show the world we could do it. Hillary is a disease that needs to be stopped.

happy Halloween. boo!!

Severian 10.31.2016 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pepper_green
you'd be very very surprised. animals would give their left/right limb just to make him pres. young and old. pretty and ugly.

Yeah, for some reason this appears to be very true. Among the people in my area who vocally support him are: more than 50% of the high school teachers who share that kind of information, all of the police and firefighters, and a large number of minimum wage workers. It's inexplicable. It defies all reason, unless you consider the fact that most human beings know very little about what they have very strong opinions about.

One of these folks (a firefighter -- and volunteer member of a rural fire authority nonetheless) said he believed Trump would have his best interests at heart while HRC would simply "stab him in the back." Obviously he is on some kind of very hard hallucinogen. He depends on government reimbursement for runs he and his fellow volunteers make. Somehow he thinks ANY Relublican would be the guy for that (though admittedly, city and county governments in rural areas are overwhelmingly Republican, and are usually pretty good to first responders -- but that's not Trump.)

Severian 10.31.2016 07:52 PM

Quote:

that's not what she/they said. she's a lying bitch. you should reserved that vote. I hate her smile and her politics. she's mentally open to lots of danger. a women that cant and wont get dick from her husband is a dangerous, careless woman indeed. im talking debased pounding a log with a stick debased. she couldn't keep a classroom of kindergarten's safe. Obama brought the empathy of the world and the revolution to health care to show the world we could do it. Hillary is a disease that needs to be stopped.

happy Halloween. boo!!

The things you say are idiotic at the absolute best of times.

"You should reserved that vote"

What could this possibly mean? You can't even structure your sentences like an adult. You'd be a much more effective troll if you put some brain power into your wordvomit tirades from time to time.

pepper_green 10.31.2016 08:00 PM

well, ok then.

pepper_green 10.31.2016 08:17 PM

Quote:

Yeah, for some reason this appears to be very true. Among the people in my area who vocally support him are: more than 50% of the high school teachers who share that kind of information, all of the police and firefighters, and a large number of minimum wage workers. It's inexplicable. It defies all reason, unless you consider the fact that most human beings know very little about what they have very strong opinions about.

One of these folks (a firefighter -- and volunteer member of a rural fire authority nonetheless) said he believed Trump would have his best interests at heart while HRC would simply "stab him in the back." Obviously he is on some kind of very hard hallucinogen. He depends on government reimbursement for runs he and his fellow volunteers make. Somehow he thinks ANY Relublican would be the guy for that (though admittedly, city and county governments in rural areas are overwhelmingly Republican, and are usually pretty good to first responders -- but that's not Trump.)

whatever asshole! im voting for Trump because of dickheads asshole white boys like you!

pepper_green 10.31.2016 09:04 PM

swallow my shit SEV!! swallow it!!

tw2113 11.01.2016 12:35 AM

Quote:

swallow my shit SEV!! swallow it!!

With a dash of pepper?

dead_battery 11.01.2016 05:32 AM

my predictions - mr. tangerine man loses

next to zero of the black and hispanic vote so he's fucked
most women just wont vote for a pussy grabber
rational college educated people with skin in the game cant trust him
the "fuck you im angry" voters are loud, but cant carry it on their own and there are only white people in this category.

many people who claim to vote for hrc wont bother to go to the polls because of lack of enthusiasm and belief that someone else will do it.

but i still dont see how hepatitis face can win, the polling cant be THAT wrong. btw all the pro trump polling is done by trump cronies. all the actual polling has him losing red states and predicts a hrc landslide.

dead_battery 11.01.2016 05:40 AM

also we can all learn a lot from trump

far right wingers have been proven to have low empathy and over active disgust sensitivity. they are aggressive predators. you will meet them in the work place and everywhere else in life.

look how far trump got and how this lying, scamming, cheating, bankrupt sexual predator was glorified by the culture around him.

what peppergreen is trying to point out in his own semi coherent way is that there really are people like this who want to tear everything down and destroy you and everything else and sneer in your face while doing it. they really do exist and are extremely common. there really is an blindness to them by a large number of people who have really difficulty believe someone elses intentions could be so vicious.

they bank on you being so shocked and stunned by their behavior that it produces cognitive dissonance and you can't really believe it's happening.

people are becoming especially aggressive and vicious these days imo, because there is less need to work on social bonds when technology allows us to survive as individuals.

ilduclo 11.01.2016 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dead_battery

what peppergreen is trying to point out in his own semi coherent way is that there really are people like this who want to tear everything down and destroy you and everything else and sneer in your face while doing it.

people are becoming especially aggressive and vicious these days imo, because there is less need to work on social bonds when technology allows us to survive as individuals.

hmm, so that's what he's been doing? I thought it was just a random insult generator app....

We can't survive as individuals, with any technology or with none. Where did you get such a strange idea?

dead_battery 11.01.2016 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilduclo
hmm, so that's what he's been doing? I thought it was just a random insult generator app....

he has made that point in between the insulting garbage he posts.

evollove 11.01.2016 10:04 AM

Quote:

my predictions - mr. tangerine man loses

next to zero of the black and hispanic vote so he's fucked

The black vote is much lower this year than average. Hispanic slightly higher, though there are a few million newly registereds planning on voting for Trump, so it may be a wash, or more likely the numbers are in Trump's favor.

Currently, there is a better than 25% chance he'll win, which might not seem like much, but it is more than ten points higher than last week! Also, again with Russian Roulette metaphor: one trigger pull out of four will kill, which isn't a cozy ratio in my mind.

!@#$%! 11.01.2016 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove
The black vote is much lower this year than average. Hispanic slightly higher, though there are a few million newly registereds planning on voting for Trump, so it may be a wash, or more likely the numbers are in Trump's favor.

Currently, there is a better than 25% chance he'll win, which might not seem like much, but it is more than ten points higher than last week! Also, again with Russian Roulette metaphor: one trigger pull out of four will kill, which isn't a cozy ratio in my mind.

i've officially begun to have moments of anxiety about this latest comey shit-- all aspersions, no evidence whatsoever, but the overreaction is something like the final straw. hillary's popularity edge is gone.

this mainly because the repukes are so good at lying, and their followers so good at eating up any absurd garbage (e.g., see the link that db posted), that it creates a thick alternate reality that begins to infect the independents.

now peter fucking thiel is trying to con millenials into believing that trump is bernie sanders.

i'm truly worried about the current trend. reminds me of kerry's swiftboating-- it went on unanswered for a long time and blam.

now with such short notice, i don't know. it's fucked.

my only true consolation here (no joke) is that the self is an illusion. should the shit hit the fan, i'll have ample occasion to remind myself of that.

evollove 11.01.2016 10:19 AM

It makes no difference what the truth is, and even less of a difference what anyone here thinks.

Anyone undecided at this point isn't very politically astute and is easily manipulated.

The number of undecideds is much higher than average this year.

Bad, bad recipe.

I suppose going zen is a solution. Or just remembering we all die anyway. And the sun will explode and none of this will matter in the long run. I think I'll start a daily LSD habit myself.

!@#$%! 11.01.2016 10:33 AM

ah yes, which reminds me, i've wanted to grow peyote for a long time now

i always remember that we all die anyway. it's the suffering until death arrives that gets me though. so much ugly shit. especially from humans. like--the ooze that emanates from a trump rally. or the environmental clusterfuck that is louisiana.

anyway, no more time to sway closed minds. it's time to help everyone you know votes democrat get to the polls. i've already mobilized the extended family and it's working. early voting ftw. down with benito.

Severian 11.01.2016 10:51 AM

Quote:

also we can all learn a lot from trump

far right wingers have been proven to have low empathy and over active disgust sensitivity. they are aggressive predators. you will meet them in the work place and everywhere else in life.

look how far trump got and how this lying, scamming, cheating, bankrupt sexual predator was glorified by the culture around him.

what peppergreen is trying to point out in his own semi coherent way is that there really are people like this who want to tear everything down and destroy you and everything else and sneer in your face while doing it. they really do exist and are extremely common. there really is an blindness to them by a large number of people who have really difficulty believe someone elses intentions could be so vicious.

they bank on you being so shocked and stunned by their behavior that it produces cognitive dissonance and you can't really believe it's happening.

Sounds kind of like you're talking about this guy:

Severian 11.01.2016 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i've officially begun to have moments of anxiety about this latest comey shit-- all aspersions, no evidence whatsoever, but the overreaction is something like the final straw. hillary's popularity edge is gone.

this mainly because the repukes are so good at lying, and their followers so good at eating up any absurd garbage (e.g., see the link that db posted), that it creates a thick alternate reality that begins to infect the independents.

Not to get under pepper green's skin again, but fuckit... high-five man, you're right.

The "narrative" is being "controlled." It was a cheap, disgusting, unforgivable move for Comey to drop this (alleged) bomb mere days before the election. Again, the assumption is that the people will read the headlines and not the story -- that we can be molded and sold on ideas that easily. And apparently many of us can, because I'll be damned if Trump's numbers haven't grown, and Hillary's decisive lead has started to shrink.

Severian 11.01.2016 11:12 AM

And you know, it's driving me a big fucking nutty that I can't even make a Facebook post with links to the myriad stories about Comey's unethical conduct and how the story, upon even cursory inspection, is revealed to be a non-thing.

It's moments like these that define us I guess. I suppose I could say fuck what my publisher says and just make some goddamn noise. But I don't think I'm going to do that. I love my job too much, and I certainly (genuinely) *need* it too much to risk losing it over what will ultimately be called my inability to suck it up and be a professional.

This is producing a massive amount of anxiety and guilt for me, though.

!@#$%! 11.01.2016 11:15 AM

Quote:

And you know, it's driving me a big fucking nutty that I can't even make a Facebook post with links to the myriad stories about Comey's unethical conduct and how the story, upon even cursory inspection, is revealed to be a non-thing.

It's moments like these that define us I guess. I suppose I could say fuck what my publisher says and just make some goddamn noise. But I don't think I'm going to do that. I love my job too much, and I certainly (genuinely) *need* it too much to risk losing it over what will ultimately be called my inability to suck it up and be a professional.

This is producing a massive amount of anxiety and guilt for me, though.

just make it your private business. talk to family and friends and get them to the polls on the DL. you don't have to WRITE AND PUBLISH shit. just drive someone to the polls today. they can't be policing that shit-- probably illegal.

Severian 11.01.2016 12:00 PM

Quote:

just make it your private business. talk to family and friends and get them to the polls on the DL. you don't have to WRITE AND PUBLISH shit. just drive someone to the polls today. they can't be policing that shit-- probably illegal.

No, you're right. It's really just social media and things like signs in yards/stickers on cars.

They kind of do "police" that stuff to an extent. You don't have to "write and publish" a partisan stance to be in trouble. Sharing a anti- or pro-so and so message is enough. Obviously taking about politics with anyone in the community is risky. I wouldn't be entirely comfortable getting into a debate of moderate volume over beers at one of the local bars. This is the part that is a challenge. But to not risk a good job, I can behave.

And yeah, maybe I'll shuttle some folks to the booth. I'll have to get them first, though. I'd feel like an ass if they ended up being Trump supporters.

evollove 11.01.2016 12:13 PM

Dude, contact your county's democratic headquarters. They should have a facebook page with a phone number. They'll let you know what needs done and I'm sure you'll find something agreeable.

!@#$%! 11.01.2016 12:18 PM

Quote:

Dude, contact your county's democratic headquarters. They should have a facebook page with a phone number. They'll let you know what needs done and I'm sure you'll find something agreeable.

YES. THIS. don't just drive a rando.

if you're nervous, have your wife call.

PLips 11.01.2016 03:29 PM

I'd like Trump to order and buy a $5 million dollar platter of gourmet Mexican feces and eat it with a smile. Capitalist defecance!

The Soup Nazi 11.01.2016 05:05 PM

Quote:

Currently, there is a better than 25% chance he'll win, which might not seem like much, but it is more than ten points higher than last week!

Where are you getting these numbers? Right now I see Drumpf at 12%:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...-forecast.html

Which, yes, is A LOT more than the subshitty TWO PERCENT he was at last week. But even if you give him OH, IA, NV and FL, he's fucked:

The Soup Nazi 11.01.2016 05:09 PM

Quote:

Sounds kind of like you're talking about this guy:

I know that's from Batman Begins, but I feel like quoting the best piece of script from The Dark Knight Rises:

At the Gotham Stock Exchange:

YUPPIE FUCK: This is the stock exchange. There's no money to steal here.

BANE: Really? Then what are YOU people doing here?

The Soup Nazi 11.01.2016 06:40 PM

So before this piece of shit loses the election and we don't have to talk about him anymore [FINGERS CROSSED!], I want to make sure we bring up the Woody Guthrie vs Trump Sr. episode. When the story came out (in January, and I believe it hasn't been mentioned here), I thought it was a spoof or something — just too good to be true. Whaddayaknow, no spoof:

https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&g...ald+tru mp%22

Severian 11.01.2016 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
I know that's from Batman Begins, but I feel like quoting the best piece of script from The Dark Knight Rises:

At the Gotham Stock Exchange:

YUPPIE FUCK: This is the stock exchange. There's no money to steal here.

BANE: Really? Then what are YOU people doing here?

Bane was awesome in that movie and I don't care what anyone says. Yes, that was a great line and a great scene.

Bane was a bigger than life kind of terrorist. Everything he did -- unlike Joker (chaos, chaos, chaos), and Ra's (calculated long con Hitler/Robin Hood type shit) -- was absolute over-the-top fuckwithery on a massive scale. DARING people to fuck with him, question him, challenge him every step of the way.

If Bane had the intelligence of a toddler, the physique of large matronly super super butch nun, cared about money and had self esteem issues about his premature baldness, I imagine he'd be a lot like Trump.

Severian 11.01.2016 10:27 PM

Quote:

YES. THIS. don't just drive a rando.

if you're nervous, have your wife call.

She and I actually aren't ok speaking terms about this election and haven't been since I voted Hillary in the primaries. She's voting Stein and will not hear a word of argument or entertain the briefest discussion about why she should do otherwise.

But yeah, I actually networked with a few elderly Dems. at a congressional debate tonight, and I will be driving two lovely old gals to the voting booths next Tuesday to Hillary the fuck out this bitch.

!@#$%! 11.02.2016 09:30 AM

Quote:

She and I actually aren't ok speaking terms about this election and haven't been since I voted Hillary in the primaries. She's voting Stein and will not hear a word of argument or entertain the briefest discussion about why she should do otherwise..

yeah you read stein's platform and it's a wonderful pie-in-the-sky set of ideals. i'd love to see a world like that. i don't know that jill stein is the person that will bring about that world though.

and politics is politics. you can't lead the population by jamming policies down their throats. it's a bit like gay marriage-- a couple of decades ago it was unthinkable, now it's the law of the land. why? was it because a political party decided to make it part of its legislative agenda? no. it was because public perceptions of gay people changed.

sure a lot of effort and activism went into passing the laws and fighting the reactionaries, but without broad public support it would have been all moot.

my point is, i guess, that any sort of policy needs a wide social consensus. avant-gardism can't cut it withe the general public. so i don't know that america is ready for a green world. but likely in a couple of decades some of their platform will be mainstream and acceptable for liberals and goobers alike (well, with goobers i don't know... they're still denying evolution).

right now though, it's a wasted vote i'm afraid. but you already knew that.

Quote:

But yeah, I actually networked with a few elderly Dems. at a congressional debate tonight, and I will be driving two lovely old gals to the voting booths next Tuesday to Hillary the fuck out this bitch.

do you guys have early voting there? vote early/vote often! :P

ilduclo 11.02.2016 09:54 AM

all done with my voting for this cycle, Ms Ild and I did about a dozen lunches and 10 dinners for our volunteer staff at Democratic Party HQ. We will have NO PROBLEM with casting our measly 7 Ev's for HRC.

!@#$%! 11.02.2016 10:32 AM

:(

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...th-to-victory/

ilduclo 11.02.2016 02:49 PM

I can't vote. If you can, you must
Chelsea E Manning

The Soup Nazi 11.02.2016 04:57 PM

Quote:

From thestar.com's "Six Lessons For A Woman Campaigning To Be President":

Quote:

1. Best not to have a husband. [...] As Humber College law professor Alex Colangelo tweeted: "The candidate married to an alleged sex predator might lose to an alleged sex predator because of emails related to an alleged sex predator."

pepper_green 11.02.2016 05:55 PM

Quote:

shine a light. Im mesmerized by what you pointed out daily. it's not just politics it's socially too. just can't wrap my head around animalistic behavior.

pepper_green 11.02.2016 06:11 PM

Quote:

Not to get under pepper green's skin again.

you imagine things. smoke and mirrors. that's yr nerd fantasies telling the bad guy off.

The Soup Nazi 11.02.2016 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Schunk

And Agent Hotchner won't be there to catch them. They fired him from Criminal Minds...