Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

HenryHill51 12.08.2011 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
I forgot about Il Grido. Very good. Of all of them, though, I think Cronaca di un amore is his most underrated. There's something really hypnotic about it. It feels like a silent movie. I do have a soft spot for Zabriskie Point, without necessarily thinking it's very good.

Kiss Me Deadly (7/10)

I like this, but not as much as most people I know. It's all a bit too clever, made by someone who looks like they've watched too many German Expressionist and Orson Welles movies for their own good. Bits of it are undeniably brilliant but the excessive visuals eventually threaten to capsize the whole thing.

I loooove "Kiss Me Deadly. Currently watching all of Robert Aldrich's stuff. For 1955, "Kiss Me Deadly" is so nihilistic and moody... the way the film's opening scene just bangs into view, the credits rolling backwards.... all so ahead of its time. I kinda forgive Tarantino for ripping it off. Another great, but hard to find, Aldrich is "The Angry Hills" and "Ten Seconds To Hell" which he made for Hammer studios.

Ghostchase 12.10.2011 04:30 AM

I liked L'Eclisse hands down more than L'Avventura, but only for the male lead is far more interesting. Of course, that's the whole point, Vitti's NOT supposed to be attracted to him but I found L'Eclisse's relationship far more pleasing to watch.

Ah... 10/10
Marcello Mastroianni
Federico Fellini
That is all.

Anita Ekberg breasts. 10/10
You know that repulsive "meathead" fragrance and body wash, Axe, and their slogan "Girls are getting hotter"? No. Girls are getting faker, and uglier. Anita proves this.

I couldn't tell you which I like better, this or Down By Law both black & white, both avoid any cliches of the 80's and transport to a different world. Great films.

This was definitely of one those "Hey, this looks interesting. What's this all about?" spur of the moment views on Netflix. I'm so glad I watched this, I understand so much more about that Burzum fellow and the whole "black metal" scene out of Norway and the point they were trying to convey. Its just a group of anti-Christians painted by the media as Satanists, when their true goal is to retain there original pagan religions and removing American values and capitalism. Also, Leif Gylve Nagell is captivating, with passion for the scene he helped create and the disgust of what the scene has turned into. Great score and music! Most of it being electronic. First track played in the opening I was like "hey, I like this!" turns out its that fantastic Icelandic group, múm. Been meaning to buy their first album for ages now. Add a dash of Boards of Canada and Sunn O))), and you got the makings of a great soundtrack. "Scored by Lesser"? J Lesser??? That would be even more of find it was him. In the closing shots, I knew I just watched something heartfelt. Very nice.

demonrail666 12.12.2011 06:32 PM

Carnival of Souls (9/10)

I'm sure I've listed this before but anyway, a pretty much perfect horror movie, not least because it's genuinely creepy. It sort of feels like the ultimate episode of the Twilight Zone.

E. Noisefield 12.12.2011 07:23 PM

Captain America.

It was actually pretty good for a goofy superhero movie.

No Batman, that's for sure, but it leaves Iron Man in the fucking dust.

LifeDistortion 12.13.2011 03:23 AM

Conan the Barbarian (2011) I thought it was a pretty good action movie. I wanted to see it when it came out in theatres but then heard it was disappointing, but seeing it now I liked it and wouldn't mind a sequel from the same director and cast, but don't think it was a success in theatres so not sure if it will get a sequel.

sonic sphere 12.17.2011 08:44 AM

stu666 12.17.2011 07:09 PM

Just watched this again... I'll never get bored of it!

LifeDistortion 12.18.2011 01:13 AM

Bellflower

Bertrand 12.18.2011 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HenryHill51
I loooove "Kiss Me Deadly. Currently watching all of Robert Aldrich's stuff. For 1955, "Kiss Me Deadly" is so nihilistic and moody... the way the film's opening scene just bangs into view, the credits rolling backwards.... all so ahead of its time. I kinda forgive Tarantino for ripping it off. Another great, but hard to find, Aldrich is "The Angry Hills" and "Ten Seconds To Hell" which he made for Hammer studios.

Have you seen The Legend of Lylah Clare?
It made me want to see more of his work.
The end is striking.

sonic sphere 12.18.2011 09:46 AM

sonic sphere 12.20.2011 07:06 AM

HenryHill51 12.20.2011 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bertrand
Have you seen The Legend of Lylah Clare?
It made me want to see more of his work.
The end is striking.

I've got Lylah Clare on the DVR from when it played on TCM a few months back but haven't watched it yet. Looking forward to it though.

batreleaser 12.20.2011 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murmer99
The Fly is a really good film. By no means Cronenberg's best, but he is certainly one of the most consistent directors I can think of that's still going. I kind of want to see his new one.. "A Dangerous Method". It isn't screening here unfortunately. I just like to follow his work regardless of what he's doing.

my friend said "A Dangerous Method" is more conventional than he hoped but that Fassbender is typically breath taking as is Kiera Knightley.

sonic sphere 12.21.2011 05:47 AM

demonrail666 12.22.2011 06:35 AM

A very nice selection of Hammer horrors there, Sonic Sphere.

demonrail666 12.22.2011 07:16 PM

Crash (7/10)

This seemed to be saying something really important but I'm not sure what. I'd have given it a 6 but it is beautiful to look at, and Matt Dillon is excellent.

fugazifan 12.22.2011 09:22 PM

ive been watching a lot of movies these past months. the most recent being:

which was excellent. great soundtrack as well.

EDIT: pic is not working. it was eyes without a face.

demonrail666 12.24.2011 06:57 AM

Mulholland Dr. (6/10)

I hate it when this happens. I put this on again with the memory that it's one of my favourite Lynch films but watching it last night I was left pretty cold. It's still got some great sequences (the 'Silencio' scene, obviously) and Naomi Watts is great but, I dunno, it all seems a bit Lynch-by-numbers. I was gonna watch Lost Highway again tonight but I'm not sure I want to, now; some things may be better left to fond memories.

sonic sphere 12.24.2011 07:10 AM

Pelle 12.24.2011 07:30 AM

3/5.

Really good movie but I need a better ending/more.

LifeDistortion 12.25.2011 03:42 PM

Midnight In Paris Not one of my favorite Woody Allen movies. I read somewhere that this movie made the most money in theatres. I'm not the biggst Owen Wilson fan outside of his work in Wes Anderson films, and movies like "The Cable Guy" which is basically saying movies where he is not the lead. Think Owen Wilson works best in supporting roles or his delivery gets old fast.

demonrail666 12.26.2011 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murmer99
shame, this is one of my favorite films of all time. I do think it's one of those films that's a lot more effective the first time you watch it. However, there is something about Lynch's style I really identify with. I can watch this one over and over and never really get bored. Eraserhead is still the most compelling work he's done. I've been reading the book.. "Lynch on Lynch" and was really inspired by what he went through during the time he was filming it. It took him 5 years. I was even shocked to see him mention suicide as an option during the era of the elephant man and dune (dune is one of the worst things I've seen, personally). He didn't have final cut and very little control on that one. It was just weird because if you watch all of his interviews he always seems like the happiest guy in the world. Anyways, Eraserhead will always be the film that even gave me the idea of being a filmmaker someday. Also... many don't seem to know this, but Stanley Kubrick often referred to Eraserhead as his favorite film of all time. Apparently, he also made the cast of "The Shining" watch it numerous times to get a certain feel for the mood he was trying to convey.

I do wish Lynch would make at least one more film. I'm afraid he might not have it in him anymore. I found Inland Empire very intriguing.. even if it left me with a bad taste in my mouth. I'd like to see him do something new. You can look at Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive, and Inland Empire as a trilogy in a way. He's one of the most interesting people to talk about... for me anyways.

I don't doubt that it was just a case of me being in the wrong mood for it. I was almost certainly being too harsh giving it a 6.

More generally, I think it's likely that we've already seen the best of Lynch. I can't think of any filmmaker whose managed to sustain a peak of creativity throughout the entire length of their career. So the more interesting question for me isn't what Lynch will do next but who's entering their own peak of creativity right now. Nobody immediately springs to mind but there's bound to be someone waiting in the wings.

ilduclo 12.26.2011 01:06 PM

new sherlock holmes, pretty good!

LifeDistortion 12.27.2011 01:14 AM

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocal I thought it was a fun action movie. I saw it in IMAX.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 12.27.2011 03:01 AM

Razor Blade Smile (1998)

Needed more gun fights, longer dream sequences, and would've benefited plenty from some actual nudity. Too many godawful day-for-night sequences....bleck - wretched, disorienting piss/10

Zarkorr! The Invader (1996)

Cool-lookin monster, and awesome cheesy effects. I wish there were more of 'em. Decently amusing overall - it made me chuckle a bunch of times. You pretty much know what you're getting when you watch this one.

Or at least you think you do, until you see this...

Reminds me of Dollman vs. Demonic Toys.

Aaaahh... that's better.

sonic sphere 12.27.2011 07:04 AM

Dr. Eugene Felikson 12.27.2011 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonic sphere

A true favorite. The rape scene traumatized me when I rented it as a kid. Awesome stuff; my favorite X-mas slasher.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 12.27.2011 10:36 AM

diegobra 12.27.2011 12:10 PM

Zabriskie Point. Not a very good one, but, the Pink Floyd music is great. And the end of the movie memorable.

sonic sphere 12.28.2011 08:43 AM

demonrail666 12.28.2011 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonic sphere

Damn! I really really wanna see that. Was it any good?

Anyway, watched last night:

Get Shorty (6/10)

Giving this a six obviously means I was far too harsh on Mulholland Dr. Anyway, not that great but I love Elmore Leonard so it's more for his dialogue than anything else.

sonic sphere 12.28.2011 08:57 AM

yeah pretty good, lots of insights from former colleagues/aides and the like.
not a person to be fucked with apparently!

Dr. Eugene Felikson 12.28.2011 01:09 PM

Rebirth of Mothra (1996)

A bunch of really good monster fights, OUTSTANDING effects, and it was just so damn colorful and wacky! I couldn't have been more pleased/engaged - even the parts with singing were fun.

demonrail666 12.31.2011 12:46 PM

Mulholland Dr. (8/10)

I watched it again, convinced the last time I saw it I was in the wrong mood. I was right. It's as good as I originally remembered it - although obviously not a movie for any occasion.

It's pointless complaining about Oscars but how Halle Berry won the award for best actress that year while Naomi Watts wasn't even nominated is a total travesty (IMO).

Also saw this this morning:

Be Cool (3/10)

I only watched this because it came it came with the Get Shorty boxed set. I didn't really like Get Shorty and for about fifteen minutes I thought this might actually be an improvement but it soon descended into a series of already tired cliches about the rap music industry and some pointless musical numbers featuring cameos from the likes of Steven Tyler. The only vaguely entertaining aspect was provided by The Rock, playing a bodyguard with issues about his sexuality. But even that joke wore thin before the end.

E. Noisefield 12.31.2011 04:06 PM

Definitely Burton's best. Upon revisiting it, I realize it actually is better than Batman Returns, which is poorly storyboarded, though the Penguin is almost as radical and terrifying as Ledger's Joker.

sonic sphere 01.04.2012 09:07 AM

Pelle 01.04.2012 03:43 PM

Fucking lovely!

sonic sphere 01.08.2012 10:50 AM

dirty bunny 01.08.2012 01:42 PM

Anchorman the legend of ron burgundy. Will Ferrell can't act his way out of a paper bag. Christina Applegate and to a lesser extent Paul Rudd are both bright spots. They are, in fact, on a different level. Fred Willard is his usual unfunny self. And Steve Carrell? I thought that guy was so funny on The Daily Show, and found him so unfunny since. This is no exception.

All in all, another unfunny comedy in a decade (or more) of unfunny comedies.

demonrail666 01.09.2012 06:43 AM

Is Sonic Sphere sneaking into my house and borrowing all my DVDs?