Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

LifeDistortion 02.10.2012 02:05 PM

Keeping It Simple I'm with you. Graphic rape scenes are really the only time in movies that give me pause. It took me a few years to get the courage to watch "Irreversible", even though I heard good things about it over-all. I like horror films in general, but I'm not fond of these new horror films that feel the need to really push the limits by having a graphic rape scene in it. Movies like "I Spit on Your Grave", both the original and the remake.

Ghostchase I saw "Outrage" this past weekend and really liked it. Yakuza films are so much fun. Johnnie To makes really good mafia movies as well with "Vengence" and "Exiled".

Ghostchase 02.10.2012 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LifeDistortion
Ghostchase I saw "Outrage" this past weekend and really liked it. Yakuza films are so much fun. Johnnie To makes really good mafia movies as well with "Vengence" and "Exiled".

Indeed.

Oh, I freaking loved Exiled!!!!! Great film, unique flow to that one. Loved the characters.

demonrail666 02.11.2012 04:54 PM

Animal Crackers

I feel the same way about the Marx Brothers as I do about Chaplin. I admire them; they're obviously massively talented and very clever with what they do, but I never really find them particularly funny.

sonic sphere 02.12.2012 09:01 AM

Genteel Death 02.12.2012 03:03 PM

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0075614/
10/10

Pookie 02.12.2012 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666

Animal Crackers

I feel the same way about the Marx Brothers as I do about Chaplin. I admire them; they're obviously massively talented and very clever with what they do, but I never really find them particularly funny.

I think Groucho is one of the funniest people ever to have appeared in films. The other 2/3 I tolerate.

"Anything further father?"

Genteel Death 02.12.2012 04:55 PM

http://www.cultmovieforums.com/forum...o-Bianchi-1988)

demonrail666 02.12.2012 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pookie
I think Groucho is one of the funniest people ever to have appeared in films. The other 2/3 I tolerate.

"Anything further father?"

I suppose humour is a lot like sexual attraction. It's possible to acknowledge that someone's beautiful without necessarily feeling physically attracted to them. In that sense I'd put Groucho in the same category as, say, Greta Garbo.

HenryHill51 02.12.2012 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murmer99
I finally watched Possession, which someone mentioned on a thread asking for recommendations. It certainly caught my attention. This cannot possibly be a "review", since I haven't truly... experienced the film. What I can say is that I knew a modicum of information about it going in. Possibly the weirdest experience I've had in a while watching a film. The plot itself... if there even is a cohesive plot to begin with, it's rather vague at times. So many different elements are presented in this movie at once. The most bizarre scene possibly going to the peculiar creature on Anna's bed. I don't recall watching too many films about dysfunctional marriages, but this is one of the most powerful and compelling experiences about a couple's relationship deteriorating into complete madness and absurdity. The style reminded me a bit of other filmmakers... perhaps cronenberg, polanski (Frantic), and bergman. But this goes way beyond anything I've ever seen. I'm sure I'll have to watch this one a few more times to consume all of it. Even I was left disoriented when it finished. All I could say was "wow"... not in a good or bad way. I just had no idea what to make of it. Watch this film and it'll thrust its indomitable mighty cock into the rectal prolapse of your mind. Ok, carried away. Anyone here know much about the director? I'm definitely interested in seeing whatelse he has done.

The director, Zulawski, is definitely an acquired taste. He does have a few interesting films, though. "On the Silver Globe" is a three hour sci-fi film about a group of people starting a new civilization with lots of mud and screaming. "The Devil" is also good- it concerns a soldier wandering through a forest who confronts some pretty heavy shit. But honestly, Zulawski's movies can be maddening. He employs alot of fish-eye lens, wild handheld shots and characters that are quite shrill- basically they scream and go way over the top throughout the entire film. There's not much on DVD, but downloads are abundant for his films out there. A cult status.

Pookie 02.13.2012 05:41 AM

Quote:

I suppose humour is a lot like sexual attraction. It's possible to acknowledge that someone's beautiful without necessarily feeling physically attracted to them. In that sense I'd put Groucho in the same category as, say, Greta Garbo.

I completely understand why somebody wouldn't find the Marx Brothers funny (as I say aside from Groucho their humour is a mystery to me) but I feel the same way about him as I do Laurel & Hardy. I know why many people are perplexed by their supposed humour but I find them uproariously funny (I reserve the use of the word uproarious for old comedy). Just to balance things out though, Chaplin is anathema to me.

demonrail666 02.13.2012 06:07 AM

I love L&H. I think a major thing for me with comedians is a need to in some way empathise with them as people. Although caricatures, I always think there are rounded people behind the L&H persona, as I do with WC Fields and Mae West. With Groucho, I can never get beyond the persona. His lines always feel like just that. (I have the same problem with early Woody Allen movies.)

Pookie 02.13.2012 06:27 AM

Quote:

With Groucho, I can never get beyond the persona. His lines always feel like just that.

I agree, but they're such FUNNY lines. More like somebody doing a stand-up routine. Skip to 1:50

gmku 02.13.2012 07:36 AM

Midnight in Paris

demonrail666 02.13.2012 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pookie
I agree, but they're such FUNNY lines. More like somebody doing a stand-up routine. Skip to 1:50

That's obviously brilliant, to the extent that I don't even think it matters that it doesn't physically make me laugh. The thing with Groucho is I can enjoy him on a number of levels - not all related specifically to comedy - which in my book elevates him above a lot of what I'd describe as those 'lesser' comics, who just happen to tickle my funny bone (say Gene Wilder). In that sense I'd put him in the same category as Mae West - despite their otherwise very obvious differences.

Pelle 02.14.2012 08:03 AM

tw2113 02.14.2012 04:11 PM

Raiders of the Lost Ark and Indiana Jones & the Temple of Doom.

!@#$%! 02.14.2012 04:17 PM

horrible DVD transfer, but great fucking story, great, great movie.

to.w 02.15.2012 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genteel Death

A really great movie! Disconcerting, but great!

demonrail666 02.16.2012 01:09 AM

Quatermass and the Pit

I watch this quite regularly as a kind of go-to comfort movie so I'm sure I've posted about it before. Anyway, brilliant. Although I do think it's a bit odd that most of my favourite Hammer films (a studio I make no bones about loving) are among the least stereotypical Hammer films. This is far more Dr Who than it is Dracula or Frankenstein - just as two of my other favourites, The Devil Rides Out and One Million Years BC, hardly fit that mould, either.

sonic sphere 02.16.2012 06:55 AM

keep poppin pimples 02.16.2012 09:53 PM

liquid sky and death of lazarescu are great movies

the ikara cult 02.16.2012 10:29 PM

I have a soft spot for this admittedly naff film

demonrail666 02.16.2012 11:45 PM

Quote:

this one I've heard of. Looked very intriguing to me but I never ended up watching it. Isn't there an older black and white version or am I completely off? I think I recall hearing about some sequels to it as well...

Yeah, there's the original BBC version which is excellent (but incomplete on DVD) and a later remake which isn't so great. Hammer made three Quatermass films: Quatermass Xperiment, Quatermass 2 and Quatermass and the Pit. Opinion seems divided as to whether Xperiment is better than Pit (Quatermass 2 is definitely the least interesting of the three). I go for Pit because I prefer the story but Xperiment is perhaps the creepier.

Anyway, just watched:

L'Atalante

I don't fall to my knees in reverence to this as some do but it is undeniably spectacularly beautiful. And I can't think of many films more deserving of the word dreamlike. I'm sure Lynch must've watched it a load of times prior to making Eraserhead.

sonic sphere 02.19.2012 07:51 AM

stu666 02.19.2012 01:14 PM

gmku 02.19.2012 03:34 PM

My God. Why. It's terrible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonic sphere

Sonic Youth 37 02.19.2012 11:45 PM

demonrail666 02.20.2012 10:03 AM

Quote:

Amarcord 9/10
my second favorite after 8 1/2

One of my favourites, too. The bit in the school is flat out hilarious.

demonrail666 02.20.2012 03:49 PM

Quote:

yeah, I thought I was the only one who found the film to be quite hilarious... the guy that wouldn't get down from the giant tree was the most memorable one to me. It's a beautiful film though as well... I love Fellini

YESS!! When they send the nun up to get him down. Laugh out loud funny. And as you say, very beautiful. The scene when the peacock appears in the middle of a snowball fight is one of my favourites in any film.

stu666 02.21.2012 05:29 PM

I only found out about this film from watching Autoluminescent (which was brilliant). I'm so glad that I did, I loved it. Seeing Crime & The City Solution and Nick Cave perform in the film was a bonus as was Peter Falk/Columbo!

Now I have to track down the sequel: Faraway, So Close!

!@#$%! 02.22.2012 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stu666

I only found out about this film from watching Autoluminescent (which was brilliant). I'm so glad that I did, I loved it. Seeing Crime & The City Solution and Nick Cave perform in the film was a bonus as was Peter Falk/Columbo!

Now I have to track down the sequel: Faraway, So Close!

that's a beautiful, beautiful movie.

just stay clear of the hollywood remake featuring the ghoulish nicolas cage and duck-billed blonde meg ryan. fucking criminal.

faraway so close rules too. i think i posted a clip for hayden the other day but it's a possible spoiler so don't look for it.

sonic sphere 02.23.2012 05:49 AM

Pookie 02.23.2012 09:12 AM

fugazifan 02.23.2012 11:18 AM

I thought that it was really great. maybe my favorite of his that i have seen.

demonrail666 02.23.2012 10:07 PM

Way Out West

I'll always prefer L&H's short 20 minute films over their feature films. There's zero padding to the short films, making the features invariably feel a bit drawn out in comparison. But of their full length movies this is definitely one of my favourites. If L&H were a band though, they'd be celebrated more for their singles than for their albums. Hollywood's answer to the Pet Shop Boys. And this is their Behaviour.

Thicker than Water

This was a short that came with the Way out West DVD and it's worth the price on its own. Twenty minutes of pure, in your face, no diverting sub-plots Laurel & Hardy. So this'd be their Suburbia.

stu666 02.24.2012 10:19 AM

!@#$%! 02.24.2012 11:34 AM

Quote:

oh, you saw it at last. cool. now i can post you this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2S3U_lHWR9M

Quote:

Originally Posted by fugazifan

I thought that it was really great. maybe my favorite of his that i have seen.

ah, shit, i had lost track of this guy. he's awesome.

stu666 02.24.2012 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
oh, you saw it at last. cool. now i can post you this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2S3U_lHWR9M

Yes!, I loved the second part probably as much as the first, I can't really fault the film at all but there's just one thing I didn't get and that is why Willem Dafoe's character could be seen by the humans that are alive and also talk to the angels... did I miss something? Anyway... really fantastic film(s).

!@#$%! 02.24.2012 12:14 PM

Quote:

Yes!, I loved the second part probably as much as the first, I can't really fault the film at all but there's just one thing I didn't get and that is why Willem Dafoe's character could be seen by the humans that are alive and also talk to the angels... did I miss something? Anyway... really fantastic film(s).

isn't he...

emit flesti = time itself

he ain't human

stu666 02.24.2012 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
isn't he...

emit flesti = time itself

he ain't human

ahh of course yes. makes sense now. I fell stupid for not picking up on that!
:o