Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

an evening with viewtiful 05.08.2012 11:34 PM

Something about this documentary just failed to come together. Its a compelling story, but by the end of it I didn't feel connected to what I was being told of. Also, it was overridingly depressing, which doesn't really work when you can't feel for the people you're hearing about.
I'm glad I watched it, but it wasn't what it should have been.

EVOLghost 05.09.2012 12:50 AM

Finally saw dogtooth. It was a bit disappointing. Fucking movie went nowhere

!@#$%! 05.09.2012 01:14 AM

i wanna go see avengers. should i see 3D or not? 3D generally gives me a fucking headache and i'd rather avoid. also, 3D = blurry action. but scarlett in a tight leather outfit might be worth the headache. yea? nay? what say you, SYG?

tw2113 05.09.2012 01:24 AM

Rebel Without A Cause

an evening with viewtiful 05.09.2012 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i wanna go see avengers. should i see 3D or not? 3D generally gives me a fucking headache and i'd rather avoid. also, 3D = blurry action. but scarlett in a tight leather outfit might be worth the headache. yea? nay? what say you, SYG?

Well it is converted 3D, so inherently, I say no. I'll only pay the extra money if that's how the movie was conceived and made. Because yes, the scenes they didn't convert look like crap in those fucking glasses

!@#$%! 05.09.2012 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by an evening with viewtiful
Well it is converted 3D, so inherently, I say no. I'll only pay the extra money if that's how the movie was conceived and made. Because yes, the scenes they didn't convert look like crap in those fucking glasses

thanks! that'll make it cheaper. i'll wait for 3D tits some other time ha ha.

demonrail666 05.09.2012 02:06 AM

Chelsea Girls

Watched it last week in NY at Jonas Mekas' Anthology Film Archive. One of my life's ambitions finally fulfilled. Life is sweet. Needless to say, the movie itself is one of my faves.

!@#$%! 05.09.2012 02:23 AM

oh you lucky dog. that's something i can't get on netflix.

i hope you're having fun in nueva york (sounds like you are)

demonrail666 05.09.2012 02:36 AM

Thanks. Just got back yesterday. Had a fantastic time. I also saw the new Avengers movie. Really good but, as has been mentioned already, the 3D ultimately gets in the way. Plus there's not enough Iron Man. The final half hour is nuts. (In a good way.)

demonrail666 05.09.2012 02:59 AM

I was never a huge fan of the Iron Man comics but Robert Downey Jnr has to be the best thing to have ever happened to the Marvel movie franchise. The guy's just perfect in that role.

demonrail666 05.09.2012 03:01 AM

[quote=Genteel Death]Jaws 2

9/10[quote]

Good call. The first one is among my all-time faves but the sequel is sooooo underrated. The Breakfast Club on a boat.

demonrail666 05.09.2012 04:51 AM

I've finally caught up with the Batman films and I like some of them a lot but of the rest of the comic adaptations, I probably like the Iron Man ones the most, although I do think a massive part of their appeal is down to Robert Downey Jnr. I imagine he's making an absolute fortune out of agreeing to do Iron Man 3. I can't imagine anyone being accepted in that role after him.

demonrail666 05.09.2012 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murmer99

I think this might be the best film Martin Scorsese has directed.

It's a strong argument although I'd say a stronger one might be that it's Robert DeNiro's best moment. I'll still stick with Mean Streets when it comes to Scorsese but for DeNiro, Raging Bull might well be his crowning achievement. Although he's obviously spectacularly good in Taxi Driver and The Deer Hunter, too.

Genteel Death 05.09.2012 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666

Chelsea Girls

Watched it last week in NY at Jonas Mekas' Anthology Film Archive. One of my life's ambitions finally fulfilled. Life is sweet. Needless to say, the movie itself is one of my faves.

Jelous!

demonrail666 05.09.2012 05:15 PM

That's a great point re DeNiro's La Motta and Zampano. I'd never thought of it before. I'm sure Scorsese is a big Fellini fan so even if it isn't directly inspired, I'm sure it's in there somewhere.

I've seen all the batman movies now, I think. I watched them all in quite quick succession so they've sort of blurred into one but my faves were the first two (with Michael Keaton) and the last two (with Christian Bale). I know everyone raves about Bale's Batman and he is great but I just loved Michael Keaton in the first two. But then I'm increasingly becoming a big Michael Keaton fan in general.

I wasn't that into Val Kilmer's one, or George Clooney's but I did quite like Jim Carey's Riddler in Batman Forever and Uma Thurman's Poison Ivy in Batman and Robin. Although, overall, I'd say that was the movie I liked the least.

Fave Batman: Keaton
Fave Villain: Danny DeVito's Penguin (gives the film a quite dark, almost Dickensian, Christmas feel where the others tend to be played primarily just for laughs)
Worst Batman: Val Kilmer (Clooney's film is worse but on paper he might not have been a bad choice. Val Kilmer just doesn't work at all for me, either as an idea or in the film itself)
Worst Villain: Arnie's Mr Freeze.

The one thing I'll say about all the movies, though, is that I never liked any of their Alfreds. They all seem to up the 'father figure' thing a bit too much. I much preferred the more straightforwardly arch Alfred played by Alan Napier in the 60s TV show.

Oh, and yes, I believe Michael Chapman did cinematography for Jaws, although I suppose the real camera heroes in that film were Ron and Valerie Taylor who did all the underwater stuff.

demonrail666 05.09.2012 05:40 PM

Quote:

I downloaded Murder on the Orient Express, which sounds intriguing after I read about it in this book I recently picked up, written by Lumet himself. So I'll try to watch that next when I have the time.

In fear of sounding like an even bigger geek than usual, an interesting fact about Murder on the Orient Express is that the script wasn't in reality written by Lumet at all but by an uncredited Anthony Schaeffer, who's more famous for writing the original The Wicker Man and Sleuth but who also did most of the big 70s Agatha Christie adaptations, like Death on the Nile, usually without credit. He's also sometimes credited with writing Equus but that was his twin brother, Peter, making the Schaeffers a pretty talented family, I'm sure you'd agree. Nothing against Lumet but in my opinion, as outright screenwriters, the Schaeffers really were in a league of their own. It's interesting watching something like The Wicker Man or Sleuth now, knowing what else Schaeffer did; you get a far greater sense of his obsession with playing games with audience's heads. It's therefore no surprise that on returning to England to make Frenzy, Hitchcock's screenwriter of choice was Anthony Schaeffer.

Pelle 05.10.2012 08:42 PM

I don't like his music but I have more respect for him as a person after seeing this movie, really great!

demonrail666 05.10.2012 09:37 PM

Quote:

nothing to fear about sounding like a geek. That's an insightful post... I didn't really know much about his writers. The cool thing about Lumet is that he'd probably say the same thing about the people he has worked with. He's directed some pretty big movies with well known actors (Pacino, Brando, Connery, Newman etc.) and yet in that book I mentioned, he constantly praised his peers and apparently listened carefully to what the writers of his films were going for. It's definitely a shame the guy passed away. Not only talented and prolific but seemingly down to earth as well. I never did see his final feature, the one with Hoffman... but a friend told me not to watch it before going to bed because "it's nuts" or something. I'm not sure what she meant by that but whatever.

Haha, I've not seen the movie Hoffman did with Lumet but I always thought it was a comedy. Now I'm intrigued. Lumet is definitely a big favourite of mine, especially Dog Day Afternoon. I've not read much about him but I really should. Anyway, I don't think there was any skullduggery going on with Shaffer's uncredited script. Probably just studio politics. Either way, hoped you liked Murder on the Orient Express. It's a bit of fluff, really, but I have a soft spot for those multi-star Agatha Christie adaptations. I went through a phase a couple of years ago of watching them one after the other. If you liked Orient Express, definitely give Death on the Nile a go, or Evil Under the Sun. Again, nothing amazing, just really enjoyable and well done and, for me, the best of the bunch. And definitely try and see anything scripted by Anthony Shaffer, whatever it is.

LifeDistortion 05.11.2012 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
thanks! that'll make it cheaper. i'll wait for 3D tits some other time ha ha.

Is the new "Total Recall" with Colin "Fookin' " Farrell going to be in 3-D? 3-D Triple nipple

LifeDistortion 05.11.2012 01:40 PM

I would argue there is a reason why that scene where Loki is taken down works, (and I'll be vague so as not to totally ruin it) is to show that ALL villains are physically no match for their own over-inflated ego.

demonrail666 05.12.2012 02:10 PM

The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms.

Coming a year before Godzilla, this had to have been an influence. Especially the second half. Excellent effects by Ray Harryhausen and a great climax, when the monster attacks Coney Island amusement park. Not my favourite 50s monster movie but definitely one of them.

I mention Godzilla as a warning because I picked up an enormous boxset and plan to slowly work my way through the whole lot. So any haters of all things Godzilla, now would be a good time to put me on ignore.

demonrail666 05.12.2012 05:59 PM

The thing that put me off The Joker in Burton's first film was Jack Nicholson. He was perfectly cast but I just find him so irritating. But I agree about Burton's films being quite otherworldy. Like you, I'm not generally a fan of his but I love how he gave a kind of fairy tale feel to the first two films.

Anyway, prior to starting my Godzilla marathon, just caught this on TV:

Con-Air

There's really nothing good about this movie but I found myself enjoying it nonetheless.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 05.12.2012 08:14 PM

A surprisingly dull film that proves that just because you have an excellent cast, doesn't mean you're automatically going to have memorable characters if the script, nor director are up to par. Smash Cut is chock full of nods to the 70's schlock of yore but fails to stand up on its own two feet and present itself as something worthwhile.

Watch only if you're a die-hard fan of David Hess, Sasha Grey or H.G. Lewis. Be warned though, even then you'll probably be disappointed.

demonrail666 05.13.2012 04:11 AM

You honestly prefer Kill Bill to Pulp Fiction?

It! The Terror From Beyond Space.

This is probably most famous for being a major influence on Alien but isn't up to much and certainly not as good as Alien.

Godzilla (1954)

This really is a masterpiece. Compared with where the Hollywood B-Movie was at the same time, Godzilla was light years ahead: relatively complex plot and some innovative camerawork; it's about as close to the Arthouse as any monster movie has got.

demonrail666 05.13.2012 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
Watch only if you're a die-hard fan of David Hess, Sasha Grey or H.G. Lewis. Be warned though, even then you'll probably be disappointed.

I've not seen it but your review confirmed what I'd assumed. It all seems like it's trying a bit too hard.

sonic sphere 05.13.2012 05:20 AM

demonrail666 05.13.2012 11:15 AM

Godzilla Raids Again (1955)

Sequel to the original that's more action packed but nowhere near as interesting or exciting.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 05.13.2012 11:26 AM

I've always thought that if Kill Bill were released as it was originally intended, with both parts 1 & 2 as a single film - that it'd probably be QT's masterpiece.

A 6/10 does seem kinda low for Pulp Fiction, however. But what do I know, my favorite QT associated movies are Natural Born Killers, and From Dusk Till Dawn. Out of the flicks he directed - I think I'd have to go with Jackie Brown as my fav. Ooooh, or Four Rooms if that counts!

Has anyone seen this??

I passed it up on VHS once, and now sincerely regret it.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 05.13.2012 11:35 AM

Also, anyone still on the fence over the Avengers: go see it. NOW. IN 3-D!! It's outstanding.

!@#$%! 05.13.2012 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LifeDistortion
Is the new "Total Recall" with Colin "Fookin' " Farrell going to be in 3-D? 3-D Triple nipple

haaa haaa haaa.

Quote:

just because you have an excellent cast

lol cmon, sasha grey had nice tits and ass but she could not even fake a proper orgasm, now we can't expect her to actually act with those dead eyes she has.

Quote:

Also, anyone still on the fence over the Avengers: go see it. NOW. IN 3-D!! It's outstanding.

im going to a matinee in the middle of the week to save money and avoid crowds.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 05.13.2012 12:03 PM

I honestly thought Sasha did an excellent job in Soderbergh's The Girlfriend Experience. I'd love to see her in more genuine acting roles. She'd make a great scream queen.

!@#$%! 05.13.2012 12:41 PM

Quote:

I honestly thought Sasha did an excellent job in Soderbergh's The Girlfriend Experience.

that's the magic of casting. she basically played her own jaded self. :(

Dr. Eugene Felikson 05.13.2012 01:24 PM

Quote:

Pulp Fiction is fine, but too much of it was pointless to me. What you said about Kill Bill seems accurate for this one I think. It had more than what was needed, and could've been a lot more entertaining that way if it had been shortened. I think it's overrated, but still worth a watch.

as for Kill Bill, I have yet to see volume 2 believe it or not. The first one was pretty fun, and I loved the last fight scene. It's still nothing special to me... From Dusk Till Dawn is probably my favorite but it was directed by Rodriguez wasn't it? I am a little uncertain about how Tarantino's movies became so popular... aside from the big names he's worked with. Kill Bill kind of surprised me by having an 8 minute sequence done in anime. I wonder how most people reacted to that, but to my knowledge it's receieved a lot of acclaim. Apparently he wants to make a few more sequels. I think he even teased making an anime version.

Also, I often hear about how great his dialogue is, and I just haven't seen it. Or rather, he's far from the best at it. "Silly rabbit, tricks are for kids". Really? He's not too bad though. But this is coming from someone who still hasn't seen a couple of his films. Natural Born Killers is one of them.

From Dusk Till Dawn and Natural Born Killers were both written by Tarantino, but directed by others. FDTD was helmed by Rodriguez, and NBK is an Oliver Stone film. Tarantino actually notoriously hates what Stone did with his script - but honestly, I like NBK a hell of a lot more than anything Tarantino ever directed himself. Trippy visuals, and NIN on the soundtrack - yes plz!

The anime scene from Kill Bill vol. 1 is by Katsuhito Ishii. He's one of my favorite directors ever. His attention to detail is absurd, either that or he just has an immaculate wardrobe department. They're so lively and vibrant too! You can really tell he's an animator by the way he directs. His films Shark Skin Man and Peach Hip Girl, Funky Forest, and The Taste of Tea are definitely ones you should check out. They're right up your alley, man.

The second KB film has more of a modern western feel compared to the samurai-vibe given by the first. I just think they would've bled very interestingly into one another. Sorta like FDTD.

His new flick is about slaves or something and stars DeCaprio. I'm not too excited, but we'll see... I guess.

Dude McDude 05.13.2012 01:43 PM

Saw Chronicle the other day. Really OK movie actually.

The story was pretty much stolen from Akira, the only anime i like. Can't wait for the remake by the way.

demonrail666 05.13.2012 03:06 PM

My favourite Tarantino is Jackie Brown. That was the one where I felt like he'd finally grown out of his earlier obsessions, so I really thought Kill Bill was a step backward.

The problem I have with his dialogue is everyone ends up talking with the same 'voice', which reached its most annoying point with Death Proof. The only one that I think really avoided it was Jackie Brown, maybe because most of the dialogue was written by Elmore Leonard.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 05.13.2012 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
My favourite Tarantino is Jackie Brown. That was the one where I felt like he'd finally grown out of his earlier obsessions, so I really thought Kill Bill was a step backward.

The problem I have with his dialogue is everyone ends up talking with the same 'voice', which reached its most annoying point with Death Proof. The only one that I think really avoided it was Jackie Brown, maybe because most of the dialogue was written by Elmore Leonard.

Yes. This. Except for the part about KB being a step backward. I actually don't think Jackie Brown is much less Tarantino than his other films. I mean, he did re-write half the cast of the book as black and chose Pam Grier to play the lead. But yes, that's my fav. official Tarantino film too, and I agree wholeheartedly about Death Proof.

demonrail666 05.13.2012 09:13 PM

Yeah, agree about the recasting but the dialogue does vary according to character. And to a large degree they're quite three dimensional. Look at Robert Forster's Max Cherry. On one level he's the antithesis of a Tarantino character, except that he evokes another (for me) more interesting aspect of his cultural universe: those underplayed made for tv-style detectives/pis, like say Jim Rockford. The only real cookie-cutter 'Tarantino-esque' characters in Jackie Brown are those connected with Samuel Jackson (ie the least interesting ones).

demonrail666 05.13.2012 09:39 PM

Quote:

I wanted to wait for mothers day to watch this one. All things considered, this may end up being my favorite movie someday. Every single shot is beautiful to me. Wim Wenders is an excellent framer, and this film simply elucidates the most powerful emotional experience to me. The scene where Dean Stanton's character and his son are watching the old footage of his mother is touching. Dean Stanton chooses his roles in an odd way. Regardless, he's been in Wild at Heart, Fire Walk With Me, Repo Man, Last Temptation of Christ, Straight Story, Paris Texas and a few others that are very good. He even makes a cameo in The Avengers movie. Then he'll do something like the green mile or anger management. Weird. Anyways that's irrelevant. This film is perfect.

Yeah, Harry Dean Stanton fascinates me. For a while he was in everything, usually as some variation on the alcoholic dad, whether it be in some art movie or Pretty in Pink. And always good in it.

demonrail666 05.13.2012 09:53 PM

Quote:

I honestly thought Sasha did an excellent job in Soderbergh's The Girlfriend Experience. I'd love to see her in more genuine acting roles. She'd make a great scream queen.

I'm not a huge Sasha Grey fan but I too wish more adult stars would get 'legit' mainstream roles. James Deen's done it and is meant to be excellent. I'd love to see Ron Jeremy do something like that, too - although I've a feeling he already has, I just can't remember what it is. And I'd love to see Lexi Belle in a mainstream action movie.

tw2113 05.14.2012 12:05 AM

Man on the Moon: 5/10 Rather "eh" but I can say I've seen it now