Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

!@#$%! 07.19.2012 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genteel Death
I watched ''The Cranes Are Flying'' by Mikhail Kalatozov, a great Russian movie which inspired Pink Reason's song of the same name. The opening scenes alone won me over straight away.

i put that in my netfux queue-- thanks!

demonrail666 07.20.2012 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Yeah, me too. Incredible. I have watched this a few times in the last two weeks, actually. Finally got the whole Magick Lantern cycle set, and I also love listening to Anger's commentary on there.
Never, ever get sick of any of these. SR is a huge favorite.

I'm a bit of an Anger fanboy but would definitely say SR and Invocation of My Demon Brother are my favourites - and easily two of my favourite films, period. But yeah, the whole Magick Lantern Cycle is awesome. Also agree about Anger's commentary on the DVD. I'm sure 90% of what he says is pure self-mythology but he's a born entertainer, and I love the way he's increasingly become a kind of ghost of old Hollywood. If I do have any heroes, Anger's definitely one of them.

Torn Curtain 07.20.2012 04:51 AM

3.5/10

Pelle 07.20.2012 09:25 AM

LifeDistortion 07.20.2012 12:43 PM

Nobody here has seen "The Dark Knight Rises" yet? Who's going to be the first?

EVOLghost 07.20.2012 12:51 PM

I'm gonna try the matinee on monday...

louder 07.20.2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LifeDistortion
Nobody here has seen "The Dark Knight Rises" yet? Who's going to be the first?

came to this thread exactly for that purpose. hehe.

will take me at least one more day.

tw2113 07.21.2012 12:54 AM

The Dark Knight Rises, twice. Midnight showing then again this afternoon. at least an 8.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 07.21.2012 03:10 AM

Watched Batman Begins for the first time since I saw it in theaters last night. Watched The Dark Knight for the first time EVER immediately after.

My thoughts...

Batman Begins - I've gotta say, I love how this movie starts out. And by that I don't mean I enjoyed the first act, actually I found it to be pretty painful to sit through until Bruce Wayne officially became Batman. But alas - no, I actually LOVED the very opening shot of the film. It's perfect!

I think with this film, I finally understand why some people dig Nolan so much (I really liked Insomnia too, but I haven't seen it recently). Either he or his DP really know how to frame shots, but I don't think his style works so much in this flick when there are quick edits made. Those actually came across as pretty sloppy to me, this film's strength from a technical standpoint were the very slow shots. Which is sad, because that exact tip-toe pacing is what caused me to scoff more than I should have at the flick. It's a bit heavy-handed, don't ya think? Lots of talk, very little action. Even less interesting action.

It was alright I guess, I can see why nobody really mentions this movie anymore. Especially after I watched...

The Dark Knight - A masterpiece. I'm actually surprised I enjoyed it so much. I've dreaded finally watching this film for years now. Just thinking of this film used to give me nightmares of greasy, black "WHY SO SERIOUS" t-shirts with stretched-out collars. I still don't quite get that obsession, that line wasn't even one of the coolest parts of the movie.

What I did like was how natural this film felt. Did they film this on a RED? It looks fantastic! Also there was a very good attention paid in the sound editing, the music was sparse, lining a realistic tone within many key action scenes. You really have to appreciate a director, cast, and crew that can make a story this wild seem plausible. Especially with Harvey Dent in the picture (oh man, was I stoked to see him, I had no idea he'd show up in this film!)

My editing qualms from Batman Begins were also nulled. The cuts were superb, each tightly-wound action sequence melted like butter. Not sure if it's a different editor, or the last guy just learned to differentiate between cuts more - but either way, I couldn't get enough!

So yeah, I really liked this movie. It was outrageous, enthralling, action-packed, and surprisingly believable. Everything I wished Batman Begins would be while I was watching it.

I still think I enjoyed the Avengers more. Or even Spider-man 2 if I'm being honest with myself. But this def. ranks up there - I'm just a Whedon/Marvel fanboy at heart. Will still try and catch a showing of TDKR on Monday. Hopefully it comes anywhere near TDK.

louder 07.21.2012 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foreverasskiss

fell asleep after he made out with that crackhead. besides i already knew what was going happen since it's my first viewing in years. i thought i'd like it the second time around. EDIT: rewatched it. loved it.

i'll be watching Bringing out the Dead later.

certainly a masterpiece. that ending.. woow.

louder 07.21.2012 06:45 AM

cool to see people here enjoy TDKR.

i thought it obviously wasn't going to be on par with the last one, but i still expect it to be good anyway.

Bertrand 07.21.2012 12:47 PM

Holy Motors.

Denis Lavant is really great, the film has quite funny moments, accessible to everyone.
Quite laid-back, with fine fine moments (the father, the Gérard Manset scene)...

ann ashtray 07.21.2012 12:49 PM

The Dark Knight Rises. It was fantastic.

h8kurdt 07.22.2012 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foreverasskiss

awesome besides those interviews with those lame ass burn-out has been rockstars. Dave Grohl is cringe worthy.

The bit where he's showing his nazi memorabilia is just nuts.

!@#$%! 07.22.2012 11:57 AM

i have despised this woman in the past because she was mousy and lame, but DAMN!!!

she's grown up magnificently!

bravo, ma'am. you're my favorite character in that movie. HOTTTTTT.

and yes the dark night rises was good. the first half perhaps a bit slow, but it picks up steam pretty good and it satisfies. even in spite of some cheesy moments. and technically, it was fucking great.

i still liked avengers more though.

yeah. joss whedon > nolan.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 07.22.2012 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!

joss whedon > nolan.

Couldn't have said it better myself. :o

Prob. gonna check out TDKR tomorrow.

!@#$%! 07.22.2012 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
Couldn't have said it better myself. :o

Prob. gonna check out TDKR tomorrow.

i skipped spiderlinks on your anti-recommendation.

oh btw i saw the trailer for total recall and

*it looked fucking great*

EVOLghost 07.22.2012 04:33 PM

gaaaaah Now I'm super hype for TDKR tomorrow.....

FUUUCk.

Ghostchase 07.22.2012 05:01 PM

Rewatched Hana-Bi. Beat = kami-sama.

Another addition to my Kitano films that I have enjoyed every second. Along with... Kikujiro

Kitano is best thing to happen to the world of film. Heartfelt, compassion, and unique in every facet.

EVOLghost 07.22.2012 05:52 PM

Fuck it. Gonna try to catch batman before 7.

umjammer atomsk 07.22.2012 09:30 PM

I need to see that Kitano!

I saw Memories of Matsuko and Kamikaze Girls recently. Liked em both a lot.

I'm still waiting for a subbed torrent to appear for Kotoko.

EVOLghost 07.22.2012 11:26 PM

YEah....saw batman...an hour in a half later than intended.

Now I can only get 2 hours of sleep. w00t.

EDIT: It was pretty awesome. I was into it the whole time. I had to take a leak an hour in but fuck the movie was too interesting to even bother with that. Batman....yer my hero....

ALSO NEW SUPERMAN MOOOVIE!

Dr. Eugene Felikson 07.23.2012 01:29 AM

Torn Curtain 07.23.2012 08:05 AM

7/10

Dr. Eugene Felikson 07.23.2012 11:41 PM

!@#$%! 07.24.2012 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson

what the fuck, this shit!

i thought you were gonna post your impressions of the new batman

e.g.: LEGS!

Dr. Eugene Felikson 07.24.2012 12:53 PM

EVOLghost 07.24.2012 09:26 PM

errrrrrrrr

dale_gribble 07.24.2012 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EVOLghost

yeah that's a good one

demonrail666 07.25.2012 03:41 AM

I'm seeing DKR tomorrow. I can see it either in IMAX or regular format. Which should I choose? If it was designed for reg cinemas, then I'd much rather watch it that way. I generally hate IMAX; it always makes me feel like I'm watching a theme park attraction rather than a film, but if DKR was made to be shown that way, then I'll go with that.

EVOLghost 07.25.2012 04:27 AM

Hmmm....I couldn't tell...as I do'nt watch many movies...and I think I've only seen 1 IMAX movie...Just see the damn movie.

It's pretty awesome.

demonrail666 07.25.2012 06:14 AM

Well I booked tickets to see it on a regular screen. I just noticed, it's NEARLY THREE FUCKING HOURS LONG. Hollywood hates smokers, that's for sure.

EVOLghost 07.25.2012 06:22 AM

^ LOL

Trust me...you won't have a problem. I was sucked in the whole time.

Also...I honestly felt like the first hour of the movie was rushed. It probably could've used another 30 minutes..

!@#$%! 07.25.2012 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
Well I booked tickets to see it on a regular screen. I just noticed, it's NEARLY THREE FUCKING HOURS LONG. Hollywood hates smokers, that's for sure.

it goes by fast though. don't you have the patch, or gum maybe?

Quote:

Originally Posted by EVOLghost
^ LOL

Trust me...you won't have a problem. I was sucked in the whole time.

Also...I honestly felt like the first hour of the movie was rushed. It probably could've used another 30 minutes..

for me it dragged a bit around the middle, but i have ADHD.

stu666 07.25.2012 09:17 PM

The Shining, screened forwards and backwards simultaneously, superimposed, with John Fell Ryan from Excepter

demonrail666 07.26.2012 10:44 AM

Back from seeing Dark Knight Rises. I can't really criticise it on any objective level but I did sometimes get a bit irritated with how seriously it seemed to take itself. I have the same problem with the more recent Bond films (which I thought elements of DKR were quite similar to). I'm not against seriousness but when it comes to superhero movies, I think I prefer Joss Whedon's more lighthearted approach, or Tim Burton's more fairy-tale one.

EVOLghost 07.26.2012 11:04 AM

Batman is seroius business yo.

demonrail666 07.26.2012 12:05 PM

!@#$%! 07.26.2012 12:19 PM

yes demoño, but what about the new catwoman? eeeeeehhhhh???

demonrail666 07.26.2012 01:14 PM

Yeah, but she's still no Eartha Kitt.

I don't want to sound like i'm criticising the movie. I thought it was brilliant. I even managed to get through it without a cigarette break. And while I preferred The Avengers, I'd have to admit DKR was probably the better film all round. Tea vs coffee kind of thing.