Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Is it just me or a lot of 'noise' being made is just infantile? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=12214)

Toilet & Bowels 04.17.2007 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicl
T&B - did Wolf Eyes offer enough of a new experience on each of the previous viewings that you think you'll get something new again out of seeing them a seventh time? If yes, then, yes, you should go and see them again.

well the third time i saw them it was one of the best things i've ever seen in my life, they played a straight out rocking party noise set, since that time it hasn't been quite as good, due to them either playing a largely drone set or a weak mosh pit.

sonicl 04.17.2007 08:43 AM

You have me laughing now. I find it very hard to visualise you in a mosh pit.

Toilet & Bowels 04.17.2007 08:48 AM

i love a good mosh pit, and it frustrates me that they are a rare occurence these days

Toilet & Bowels 04.17.2007 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nefeli
if were in your shoes t&b, i would see it as another night in the pub, or another chance to have a dance fun evening, but with sounds i like and dont get every week. so if was in mood for smth like that, i would go.
(coziness of familiarity)

ok, i'm going

Iain 04.17.2007 08:56 AM

I'm seeing them on Thursday and I am looking forward to it. It will be the first time I have seen them outside a festival where I thought they weren't all that great (ATP). I reckon a more intimate setting will be a much better way to see them.

Toilet & Bowels 04.17.2007 09:00 AM

they're playing the underworld which is normally a metal venue so hopefully this will provide a more mosh conducive atmosphere

Rob Instigator 04.17.2007 09:21 AM

I am going to see Lightning Bolt tomorrow night here in Houston.

Jazz rules.

wolf eyes are very colorful

noise is for the noisy

early jazz, then swing, then bebop, then hard bop then modal, then free etc, Jazz has always been rebel music.

Pookie 04.17.2007 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Jazz has always been rebel music.

Are you sure? ;)

Just kidding. I get your point.

Iain 04.17.2007 09:34 AM

It's probably just you.

Roberto is a gregarious guy who loves life (from my observations, correct me if I am wrong sir) and all that comprises it whether it be music, art, booze or ladies.

Glice 04.17.2007 01:26 PM

Wolf Eyes are playing tomorrow for me. I'm sort of tempted to go, even though I found them to be the dullest thing imaginable at ATP and find their records tepid at best. See how open-minded/ masochistic I am?

Rob Instigator 04.17.2007 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pookie

Are you sure? ;)

Just kidding. I get your point.

benny goodman is to jazz what My Chemical Romance is to punk!

Toilet & Bowels 04.17.2007 06:50 PM

well wolf eyes were excellent, and the girl i took to see them (who i think had never listened to noise before) really enjoyed them too. the most beautiful woman i've seen in the last two days works behind the bar at the underworld in camden.

pokkeherrie 04.17.2007 07:02 PM

that's cool.
they were a bit mediocre in haarlem a couple of weeks ago (6th time i saw them). growing were stil worth the price of admission though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
well the third time i saw them it was one of the best things i've ever seen in my life, they played a straight out rocking party noise set, since that time it hasn't been quite as good, due to them either playing a largely drone set or a weak mosh pit.

was that in june/july 2005 by any chance? the show i saw on that tour was my favourite of theirs i've seen. straight out rocking party noise indeed, for lack of a better term. all the other times they always had large drone parts in their set and it hasn't been as good.

Toilet & Bowels 04.17.2007 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokkeherrie
was that in june/july 2005 by any chance? the show i saw on that tour was my favourite of theirs i've seen. straight out rocking party noise indeed, for lack of a better term. all the other times they always had large drone parts in their set and it hasn't been as good.

yep, july 2005 if memory serves correct.

Rob Instigator 04.18.2007 09:14 AM

so you took a lady who had neevr heard wolf eyes to see wolf eyes live? That takes some BALLS man. I would not do it. Not unless the lady was a noisy music fanatic already.

PAULYBEE2656 04.18.2007 10:36 AM

" i'd like to dedicate this to te most beautiful girl ever, to my new love of my life (insert name here), this lovely little balad is for you with all my heart....... its called "stabbed in the face""

ha! yeah, fair play to you for that and for herself for enduring/enjoying it!

Pookie 04.19.2007 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
benny goodman is to jazz what My Chemical Romance is to punk!

Indeed. Although it's Glenn Miller in the picture! Same goes, though.

RdTv 04.19.2007 07:51 AM

More like Kenny G is to jazz what My chemical romance is to punk.

sarramkrop 04.19.2007 07:30 PM

What is he on about?

The Black Wizards 04.20.2007 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blatherskite
Forgive me for saying this, but stupid is contagious and I think you just might have it. It's not like I'm talking about nuclear physics back there... nor am I talking about abstract concepts. In fact, what I stated was a cliff's notes version of my thoughts and the statement about it being a loaded term is a cliff's notes of THAT.

If my banter nauseates you, then please go read a romantic novel or something. Don't waste time giving my thoughts a thought.

Your problem is that you are deeply boring, slightly pretentious but you proceed to babble on at any given oportunity.