Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   I love the Wipers. (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=29835)

Torn Curtain 08.04.2011 12:59 PM

[Wipers] Greg Sage & The Electric Medicine Show - Fabrik, Hamburg 1989-04-07 Aud M (Re-seed) by procella

Torn Curtain 08.06.2011 06:28 PM

Wipers - 1987-07-07 Blind Pig, Ann Arbor (Foxtrotter) Re-seed by procella

Sly Bug 08.15.2011 08:39 AM

I love the Wipers too. There is a sort of emergency in their music.

dazedcola 08.15.2011 12:30 PM

The best part about the wipers is that even on not so good records there are great hidden gems like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP9Z7weRFm4

ALIEN ANAL 04.19.2013 02:32 AM

its got to be up front!

louder 04.19.2013 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
But yeah, I love the Wipers. Over the Edge( a loser anthem).

all their songs are loser anthems. :p powerful band.

batreleaser 04.19.2013 06:42 AM

"over the edge" makes me want to fight. it should be a walk out song in the UFC.

Nefeli 04.19.2013 07:25 AM

excellent idea; i ll listen to the wipers today.
also one of the best lives i have witnessed.
regardless the fact, that we waited for 2 and a half hours for them to start and i was once again alone in a gig and the place was packed. they were amazing.

chocolate_ladyland 04.19.2013 08:38 AM

great thread

batreleaser 04.19.2013 10:26 AM

They really do have a perfect discography. Greg Sage's guitar style is one of a kind, the first time I heard them I thought to myself, "This is how I want punk rock to sound." Powerful, loud, and yet, musical.

batreleaser 04.20.2013 02:31 AM

Their music definitely hits an emotional chord. Most punk appeals to anger, or the feeling of just being fed up. The Wipers omit those feelings as well, but their songs also connect to sadness, loss, general bummed out-ness.

I know this is a gigantic stretch but I'm going to make a ludicrous comparison. The Wipers differ from other punk bands in that they strike these different emotional chords. I'm currently listening to Frank Ocean's "Channel Orange." Besides the unique vocals and productions, there's another reason it connected with so many people. People relate to its melancholy, loss and just overall humanity. To me, this is what separates good from great. My favorite music brings me back to an event that made me feel a certain way. The Wipers, and Frank Ocean, do this. Nirvana did it. No matter what your taste, your favorite music resonates with you. The best music is listened to for the same reason the best literature is read. This is a pretentious post. Sorry, drunk and all on my lonesome in my overpriced apartment right now.

And kind of wigged out that I still post on message boards, at least this is the one

SonikJesus 04.21.2013 08:13 PM

listened to em for about a month a while back and loved em. have to go back and listen. got the box set

ALIEN ANAL 02.08.2014 06:33 AM

fuck I love this band so much
There are not many bands that I feel really connect with me in the way The Wipers do.

The riffs the vocals the drums EVERYTHING. Its just damn perfect.

Oh yeh i just remembered what i originally posted in here for

WHY is there nothing out there for this band besides the albums? I want docos and interviews. This band needs so much more recognition than they get.

ann ashtray 02.08.2014 06:52 AM

I vaguely remember a documentary covering a lot of Wipers related stuff. Buzz Osborne and some of the guys from Poison Idea discussing their experiences with the band and what it meant to them. As far as Greg Sage, he's always been somewhat of a recluse. Always been about the music itself and little else. Guy has never seemed much for interviews or publicity beyond shows. Guy quite literally turned down touring with Nirvana. While I love Nirvana, such a decision does give the Greg lots of credibility. His lyrics have always felt real to me. Raw/emotional/personal. I'm not even one who cares much for lyrics, but his have always hit home in a way. In that sense, to me, they've always reminded me a lot of Joy Division. Two bands clearly inspired by punk rock, but truly doing their own things with it. Neither with typical drunk/fight/pee/piss off lyrics. Thought provoking stuff.

Long live the fuckin' Wipers. Always one of my favorites.

MellySingsDoom 02.08.2014 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ann ashtray
I vaguely remember a documentary covering a lot of Wipers related stuff. Buzz Osborne and some of the guys from Poison Idea discussing their experiences with the band and what it meant to them

Is this the documentary you're referring to, ann a? - http://youtu.be/IoLEg6QxE1o

ann ashtray 02.09.2014 12:18 AM

I'm convinced it is, sir

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 02.09.2014 12:20 AM

Excellent.

we already have y'all posting again

ALIEN ANAL 02.09.2014 01:29 AM

I managed to find that doco on a punk torrents site but it is broken up into a million 2 minute parts which is a bit lame.