Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Radiohead, A Moon Shaped Pool: new album, out now (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=113485)

pepper_green 05.13.2016 05:25 PM

"Idioteque" is the jam my friend.

Severian 05.13.2016 05:31 PM

I'm pretty sure my favorite songs are:
1. Ful Stop
2. Decks Dark
3. Burn the Witch
4. Identikit
5. Daydreaming
6. The Numbers

... Not sure about the others. I can't warm to True Love Waits. There's no way this is the best take of the song. The song feels plucked from another era because it is. The different arrangement fails to modernize the song. Instead, it feels like a really lazy remix of the old version. Like they pulled another "Morning Bell" double up, only this time the two versions are separated by a generation instead of six months.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 05.13.2016 06:55 PM

Black Star is terrible but its tolerable live

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 05.13.2016 06:57 PM

I don't get how your can isolate tracks on this record. Sure, there are songs i like more than otjers BUT i still feel this record is a composition. The songs must be heard as one, as the build and flow in and out of each other. I can't imagine listening to any of them isolated or even out of order

Severian 05.13.2016 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
I don't get how your can isolate tracks on this record. Sure, there are songs i like more than otjers BUT i still feel this record is a composition. The songs must be heard as one, as the build and flow in and out of each other. I can't imagine listening to any of them isolated or even out of order

I know what you mean, but I just find the parts in between the great parts to be pretty tiresome. It may indeed be meant for full album listening, but I just HAVE to skip through some of these songs.

It may be that I usually listen to music while driving to and from work, and tearing all over hell to different assignments and events throughout the day. This means I usually want to listen to something with a real pulse to it, because I need to keep my energy up. So when I'm driving around and I hear "Hey it's me, I just got off the train..." I'm like NEXT!!!

I haven't listen to the album straight through on headphones yet. Maybe I'll enjoy the slower bits more once I do that.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 05.13.2016 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
I know what you mean, but I just find the parts in between the great parts to be pretty tiresome. It may indeed be meant for full album listening, but I just HAVE to skip through some of these songs.

Slow your roll, grab some beers or blunts or whatever gets you into your Charles Emmerson Winchester III mode, and just let this record marinate on slow burn.

Quote:

So when I'm driving around and I hear "Hey it's me, I just got off the train..." I'm like NEXT!!!

Ouch! I feel like that is one of the singularlybest moments on this record.

Quote:

I haven't listen to the album straight through on headphones yet. Maybe I'll enjoy the slower bits more once I do that.
Its better on a good stereo

pepper_green 05.13.2016 08:39 PM

I feel Radiohead is like a part time thing to some people. why are all the non-fans insulting when they themselves aren't posting anything worth a shit. I can understand if the fanfare is outweighing your favorite bands posts but, it's not. it's our 85 percentage against your 0 percentage.

tha hell you gots that's new that's better? it's not a bargain unless you throw in your chips too.

pepper_green 05.13.2016 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder
Opinions, opinions..

well yeah, assholes are like opinions. everyone has one.. that's intact. unless it's worn out like Genteel's.

Severian 05.13.2016 10:33 PM

I'm a reasonable man get off my case...

Severian 05.13.2016 10:34 PM

My thoughts are misguided and a little naive yeah
I twitch and I salivate, like with myxomatosis
You should put me in a home or you should put me down
I got myxomatosis, I got myxomatosis

Severian 05.13.2016 10:35 PM

Yeah no one likes a smart arse, but we all like stars...

Severian 05.13.2016 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pepper_green
well yeah, assholes are like opinions. everyone has one.. that's intact. unless it's worn out like Genteel's.

Yesterday he woke up fucking a zucchini

pepper_green 05.13.2016 11:45 PM

Gentell ain't nothing but a big ol fat faggot italian London livin art/noise gallery faggot.

fuck him. he draws attention to himself so you can check out his one-man band and his art.

FUCK HIM! he is a harrasser and a A-Grade asshole. bitch!

pepper_green 05.13.2016 11:51 PM

I know all you people. all your information is written HERE!:p

noisereductions 05.14.2016 12:09 AM

I haven't heard it yet, but sounds like True Love Waits is like when Motion Picture Soundtrack finally landed on lp in unrecogizable form. Hmmm.

Btw, I love Black Star. Seriously. That song is so hated on but I've always loved it.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 05.14.2016 12:14 AM

I was waxing nostalgic about my "rediscovery" of radiohead..

It was 2000 and as part of promo for Kid A they put out a half hour special of part of a live set that featured the new material. I will never forget it. Some Saturday night, 1030 pm.. ktla channel 5.. this show comes on and only a few other times in my entire life has my mind been so blown or my life been so singularly changed. This is not hyperbole. I didn't know music could exist like that.

Severian 05.14.2016 12:31 AM

Quote:

I was waxing nostalgic about my "rediscovery" of radiohead..

It was 2000 and as part of promo for Kid A they put out a half hour special of part of a live set that featured the new material. I will never forget it. Some Saturday night, 1030 pm.. ktla channel 5.. this show comes on and only a few other times in my entire life has my mind been so blown or my life been so singularly changed. This is not hyperbole. I didn't know music could exist like that.

Did the band perform in kind of a sideways "box" lined by what appeared to be string or Xmas lights? If so, I know the one you're talking about.

Severian 05.14.2016 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
I haven't heard it yet, but sounds like True Love Waits is like when Motion Picture Soundtrack finally landed on lp in unrecogizable form. Hmmm.

Btw, I love Black Star. Seriously. That song is so hated on but I've always loved it.

It's a LOT like the motion picture soundtrack thing, only in my opinion the result is much less satisfying.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 05.14.2016 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Did the band perform in kind of a sideways "box" lined by what appeared to be string or Xmas lights? If so, I know the one you're talking about.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CAXmeCGOjTo

Fucking Shit it still exists! I hadn't seen this shit in literally 16 years and even then only once and yet i hadn't forgotten a single moment

Severian 05.14.2016 10:39 AM

Quote:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CAXmeCGOjTo

Fucking Shit it still exists! I hadn't seen this shit in literally 16 years and even then only once and yet i hadn't forgotten a single moment

Ok, I've seen this one, but it's not the one I was thinking of.

The one I was thinking of was definitely more like From the Basement. Live, with no visible audience. The band played in a stage sea framed by string lights, and it was fucking enchanting. Probably a late night MTV thing. From 2000.

Now I want to find that. Like, really bad.

Severian 05.14.2016 10:41 AM

*that "sideways" box thing was autocorrect. What's a sideways box? Anyway it was supposed to say "sideless," but that doesn't really describe it either.

dead_battery 05.14.2016 11:24 AM

the best thing radiohead ever did was tell scott tennorman he was a crybaby

pepper_green 05.14.2016 07:56 PM

8 pages of complete nuclear disaster. bring on the SYG apocalypse.

dead_battery 05.14.2016 08:16 PM

thome yorrik sucks and should quit and radiohead is music for middle agerz

pepper_green 05.14.2016 08:27 PM

I think mr. yourk should keep his day job and continue to make musak for middler agerz.;)

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 05.14.2016 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dead_battery
thome yorrik sucks and should quit and radiohead is music for middle agerz

pepper_green 05.14.2016 08:34 PM

dat's right man, let's retaliate. radical adults lick godhead style. haha!

pepper_green 05.14.2016 08:39 PM

just to let you guys know. im titty fucking this thread now. close to bustin it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

im also impressed with how good and sweet I smelt today. so sexy!

pepper_green 05.14.2016 09:10 PM

*lights a smoke*

inhales.

thank you.... *exhales*... even if you got frig on me during the end. good nut though.:)

thank you. yeah, I know im a goofy asshole but, you liked it right?:o

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 05.14.2016 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pepper_green
but, you liked it right?:o

pepper_green 05.14.2016 10:37 PM

is the apocalypse here yet? im bored.

SYG has no sexual stimulation kids. avoid at al costs. it's aftermath dead desert zone.

Severian 05.14.2016 10:52 PM

Quote:

Who's the chick trying to make her tits look less pancakey?

Severian 05.14.2016 10:53 PM

Nah, she's ok. Pancakes happen. I ain't hatin'

pepper_green 05.14.2016 11:00 PM

im up for some waffle house tonight/ dis morning. is it 3:00 yet?

oh, that chick!! waldo is much sexxer. hot!!!

pepper_green 05.14.2016 11:10 PM

amlets with peppers and onions.

too early? hey, hows that new Radiofredrick? old man music to sit by the sun?

really? most people here ain't that far apart in age. really? you'll be soothing your arthritis when im slurping from my bed pan crazy insane jerk both of us enjoying dementia. hahaha!!!

then you'll die. like me. dead and gone. like me. fucking DEAD! everything you did and posted turned to dust you dusty old ass hater.

pepper_green 05.14.2016 11:25 PM

maybe we can all argue over rocking chairs and fight over who gets to enjoy the sun spot in the yard.

louder 05.15.2016 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions

That was one of my favs back when I used to listen to The Bends a lot, hmm.. don't remember how many years ago.

By the way, Radiohead is still relevant and a lot of young people love them (including myself). So grandpa music it's not. Not all quiet music is for middle agers.

Severian 05.15.2016 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder
That was one of my favs back when I used to listen to The Bends a lot, hmm.. don't remember how many years ago.

By the way, Radiohead is still relevant and a lot of young people love them (including myself). So grandpa music it's not. Not all quiet music is for middle agers.

You're young louder? Good for you, man!

I was gonna say, who among us is not at least starting to approach middle age? Seriously... If you remember Nirvana and Tim Burton's Batman and the fucking George H.W. Bush administration, you're pushing 40. Radiohead is "for" anyone who likes them, but their core audience is late '30s by now.

They're doing a damn site better than Pink Floyd circa the fucking Division Bell, I'll tell you that much. Because I remember that shitty album, 'cause I'm fucking ancient. ;)

LifeDistortion 05.15.2016 03:35 AM

Cause thank goodness the kids have Ariana Grande and Drake to show them what real rock n roll is these days. Over the last six months or more most of the rock albums worth getting have been from bands who were popular 20-25 years ago. Take Radiohead out of this and you still have bands like Faith No More and Sleater-Kinny, you might think they are past their prime, or not worth listening to anymore but what bands do teens have these days? They're all listening to Ariana Grande and Drake.

Severian 05.15.2016 01:42 PM

I feel a little bad about dissing Black Star. I used to love that song... back when I loved, like, "Mayonnaise" by Smashing Pumpkins. The Bends was one of my favorite records for years and years. I even preferred it to OK Computer for a while.

Most of that had to do with the the first four songs. I still think "High and Dry" holds up. So does "Street Spirit." But on the whole it's just way too mid-90's and "Black Star" has to be the most generic track on the album. Last time I tried to listen to it I think I burst out laughing.

That's bound to happen with bands you get into as a kid and stick with into your 30's. Hasn't happened with Nirvana, or early Beck, or Sonic Youth. But those artists were too good for me to really grasp in my teens. I had to live life a bit before I really appreciated them. And unlike Nirvana (who obviously peaked and checked out) and Beck (who went slowly downhill from Odelay until he started to go rapidly downhill in '08) and Sonic Youth (who had already achieved perfection and were merely riffing on it with Washing Machine), Radiohead were still embryonic in '95/'96. It's forgivable, considering what they went onto accomplish, that those first two albums are fraught with clichés and missteps. They were not on the same trajectory as SY or Nirvana, both of whom came out of the gate throwing pure fire.

Radiohead could have been Oasis. I don't actually think they surpassed Blur until '03. They had to break the mold that they were born into. Thankfully they did. So "Black Star" is forgivable.