Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Vivian Girls (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=22724)

MellySingsDoom 12.10.2008 04:18 AM

sarram - how were the V Girls last night?

Toilet & Bowels 12.10.2008 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MellySingsDoom

i thought they were a bit dull

sarramkrop 12.10.2008 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MellySingsDoom

They were great!

demonrail666 01.10.2009 04:16 PM

I'm completely off the pace with this. I'm just listening to the album for the first time now. I love them completely.

pantophobia 01.10.2009 09:17 PM

i have it on good authority that the blonde, cassie ramone i think, isn't courteous on the dance floor and will dance right up on you without any warning, but it's second hand so i can't say for sure

jennthebenn 01.10.2009 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pantophobia
i have it on good authority that the blonde, cassie ramone i think, isn't courteous on the dance floor and will dance right up on you without any warning, but it's second hand so i can't say for sure

She also isn't courteous if she's standing against a pool railing and you're on
the other side, on the receiving end of her swaying handbag. Shit was
hilarious.

I like Vivian Girls quite a bit, but the one time I saw them live was, well, at
McCarren Park Pool, a venue too spacious to suit them.

uhler 01.11.2009 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pantophobia

she was dancing all up on the dance floor after the crystal stilts show tonight. she looked pretty damn drunk.

demonrail666 01.11.2009 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarramkrop
I was going to write something about the whole hipster thing, which hat and beard made a brilliant comment about on another thread, but I'm too hyper from, you know, feeling hip and Burroughs.

I've not read Hat and Beard's comment but the 'hipster' aspect of the band. It's something I'm trying to disregard. All I can do is listen to the album and think that, hipsters or not, they've produced something wonderful which, regardless of what the motives behind it might be, is enough in itself. I get a feeling that the more I know about them the less enthusiastic I'll be, so I'm trying not to read up on them too much.

atsonicpark 01.11.2009 12:36 PM

Eh? Motives? Hipsters? Now I am confused. Oh well.

demonrail666 01.11.2009 12:47 PM

I think it stems from the whole cooler-than-thou Brooklyn thing. I don't know if that's exactly the case with the Vivian Girls but I wouldn't be surprised if they're being dismissed by a number of people in the same way that a band that appeared fully formed out of somewhere like Hoxton, or Mitte might also be. I'm not saying they should be, just that I expect they are.

atsonicpark 01.11.2009 12:53 PM

Ah... I dunno.

demonrail666 01.11.2009 01:01 PM

Me neither. Either way. They're making me play my favourite records again and that can be nothing but a good thing. From my first listen to "Such a Joke" it was like, ahh yes, this is what I like. I'd almost forgotten. If it turns out they're all runners for Vice magazine, then so be it.

atsonicpark 01.11.2009 01:25 PM

hahaha.

sarramkrop 01.11.2009 02:16 PM

I never bothered reading about who they are much, apart from some stuff on blogs and forums here and there, not because I'd be let down by what they say, simply because that's the way it turned out. I didn't even think there would be so much fuss about them, to be honest. There is, and that's fine, they aren't the greatest band, I just happen to really like the record and enjoyed their set live. They might even disappear amid all the hype in about a year, so what?

demonrail666 01.11.2009 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarramkrop
I never bothered reading about who they are much, apart from some stuff on blogs and forums here and there, not because I'd be let down by what they say, simply because that's the way it turned out. I didn't even think there would be so much fuss about them, to be honest. There is, and that's fine, they aren't the greatest band, I just happen to really like the record and enjoyed their set live. They might even disappear amid all the hype in about a year, so what?

I completely agree. Whatever their 'story' might be they've created a truly great album which is more than a vast majority of arguably more 'credible' bands can claim. Whether they go on to produce anything remotely as good in the future is largely besides the point - for me at least. I'm just pissed that I never got to see them live last month. They're one of the very few bands right now I'd bother leaving the house for - and for that fact alone I'm extremely glad they exist.

uhler 01.13.2009 01:26 AM

they're recording their next album in march.

uhler 01.13.2009 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
I think it stems from the whole cooler-than-thou Brooklyn thing. I don't know if that's exactly the case with the Vivian Girls but I wouldn't be surprised if they're being dismissed by a number of people in the same way that a band that appeared fully formed out of somewhere like Hoxton, or Mitte might also be. I'm not saying they should be, just that I expect they are.

they've been dismissed by a lot of hipsters in brooklyn because they're "full of hype and too big now." it's pretty lame.

Sonic Youth 37 01.13.2009 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uhler
they've been dismissed by a lot of hipsters in brooklyn because they're "full of hype and too big now." it's pretty lame.

Being dismissed by hipsters is a great thing in my book. Means I might get to see them again.

uhler 01.13.2009 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic Youth 37
Being dismissed by hipsters is a great thing in my book. Means I might get to see them again.

well there's two kind of hipsters here. the one is the know it all hipsters and the other is the don't know shit but i pretend to do by reading pitchfork and i wear extreme v-necks and like mgmt. the know it all ones don't like them anymore and the don't know shit ones pretend to like them.

uhler 01.16.2009 12:42 AM

article in paper magazine. cassie ramone mentions lee ranaldo.

http://www.papermag.com/?section=article&parid=2969

edit: plus a video of a new song live in shitty stone

http://www.rollingstone.com/blogs/br...vian-girls.php

atsonicpark 01.30.2009 02:11 AM

http://www.sendspace.com/file/9fggfm

There's the 6 non album tracks they've done so far collected from various singles and whatnot. All the singles are out of print so...

sarramkrop 01.30.2009 02:36 AM

zanc u

uhler 01.30.2009 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
http://www.sendspace.com/file/9fggfm

There's the 6 non album tracks they've done so far collected from various singles and whatnot. All the singles are out of print so...

thanks. i still need a record player up here, so this will due for now. the cassette i have of their singles isn't recorded so well.

for new york city people: they will be djing at daddy's bar in williamsburg from 10-4 tonight.

deflinus 01.30.2009 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uhler

thats a fucking awesome song they play

uhler 02.09.2009 06:41 PM

MellySingsDoom 02.09.2009 07:18 PM

London peeps - they be playing on Sat and Sun this weekend...

sarramkrop 02.09.2009 07:20 PM

Too skint.

davenotdead 02.09.2009 08:01 PM

i bet thurston is grabbing their asses n thats why the blonde turned around with that look on her face

ni'k 02.12.2009 03:33 PM

nathan from wavves told me that "the best thing about those girls is they all started out as this mall pop punk band" who one day decided that they wanted to start a "hipster" band. which makes the quality of their music even more surprisingly good.

atsonicpark 02.12.2009 03:54 PM

Hmm. Is he jealous or...?

sarramkrop 02.12.2009 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ni'k
nathan from wavves told me that "the best thing about those girls is they all started out as this mall pop punk band" who one day decided that they wanted to start a "hipster" band. which makes the quality of their music even more surprisingly good.

which is where wavves failed bar one song?

ni'k 02.12.2009 04:11 PM

no man he meant it as a compliment! he was saying it was cool how they just managed to up and change their whole sound really quickly despite coming from a backround of horrible music.

and sarram, i assume the song yu mean is weed demon, but nah i think wavves are really good.

uhler 02.12.2009 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ni'k

yeah they did start out as a punk pop band, but not a "mall pop punk" band. they were kind of bad though. aren't most bands are when they haven't found their sound yet? i heard they went in the direction they did after one of the guitar player's ex boyfriends introduced her to black tambourine.

the bass player was in a riot grrl surf band for a bit. that's according to maximum rock 'n' roll.

atsonicpark 02.12.2009 04:16 PM

Ohhh, surf band! Surf band?!! SURF!

uhler 02.12.2009 04:25 PM

Quote:

Ohhh, surf band! Surf band?!! SURF!

yeah i wish they had a song or something i could listen to. a riot grrl surf band is right up my alley.

ni'k 02.12.2009 04:26 PM

someone needs to make a new surf compilation

you can make a tenuous surf connection with bands like graffiti island, pens, vivian girls, wavves.

dark surf, pussy surf, fat red cheecked people in long sleeved t shirts with headfones and ice cream surf

atsonicpark 02.12.2009 04:29 PM

I love surf music. I'm always on the lookout for new surf bands. I counted my surf cd's the other day, and I have 180. I need to get more.

uhler 02.12.2009 04:32 PM

Quote:

I love surf music. I'm always on the lookout for new surf bands. I counted my surf cd's the other day, and I have 180. I need to get more.

what's a good surf collection cd i should get?

ni'k 02.12.2009 04:33 PM

what are the best out of the 180?

atsonicpark 02.12.2009 04:44 PM

a surf COLLECTION? Lost Legends of Surf Guitar vol. 1.

My favorite surf cd is probably the ventures - surfing or man or astroman's "experiment zero". I also love Mermen, the Ghastly Ones, the Treblemakers, Hawaii Samurai, Violentures, the Wangs, the Lively Ones, the Trashmen, the Tormentos, Gein and the Graverobbers, Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet, Red Elvises, Vibrasonics, Bambi Molestors (highly reccomended!), Volcanos, Vultures, Woodies... actually, there are way too many good surf bands out there.

The weirdest surf album I've heard is probably the wipeouters "p twang". There's a rave surf song on it!