Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   The Observer's 50 albums that changed music (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=4192)

Cantankerous 07.17.2006 01:16 AM

i never said i hate nirvana. i hate that album, so please, take a step back and kiss my ass.

m^a(t)h 07.17.2006 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norma J
Why did you avoid answering the question?

Cantankerous: "That doesn't make me hate it any less."

your question is rhetorical

krastian 07.17.2006 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daddylikes
I'm in N.C.

I would never buy Icehouse, and I think PBR is still cheaper (especially if you get the tall boys)

Prob. but Icehouse has more booze in it. Natty Boh is the way to go for cheap beer in Baltimore.

Nirvana....well, they changed my life that's for sure and Dave made me want to pick up the drums and destroy when I was in 4th grade. I'm sure there are tons of folks making music today that look back and say, "Yeah man, Nirvana blew me away and made me want to play." I still love them even though I prob. only bust them out 2-3 times a year at most. Still love them when it comes down to it.

Norma J 07.17.2006 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m^a(t)h
when they say changed music I think they are referring to mainstream musical artists, not a couple of kids in some basement....

Quote:

Yeah, exactly.

I still think that Rage Against the Machine's self titled is more influential (to the mainstream...etc) than Nirvana's Nevermind.

I see a pattern.

acousticrock87 07.17.2006 01:20 AM

I disagree. When an artist convinces millions of people to pick up a guitar and learn how to play, they severely change music on every level - including demand in pop culture, which directly affects who gets signed and what record labels are looking for. I could care less about Nirvana - they're ridiculously average, but they made that the norm, so music was changed.

Daddylikes 07.17.2006 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantankerous
i never said i hate nirvana. i hate that album, so please, take a step back and kiss my ass.

Can I please? With tongue?

finding nobody 07.17.2006 01:21 AM

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/colum...r_nirvana.html

Daddylikes 07.17.2006 01:22 AM

So, that makes NWA influential because they influenced a 1,000,000 people to pick up a microphone and wax lyrical, right?

m^a(t)h 07.17.2006 01:23 AM

Quote:

I see a pattern.

so you are rejecting the idea that they are referring to mainstream musical artists? did you read there reasons why?

Norma J 07.17.2006 01:24 AM

Quote:

We're talking about whether Nirvana's Nevermind (which you said you hate) should be in that list or not. Your distaste for that record makes you believe they didn't didnt change music. Get it now?

And I don't want to think of your ass, thanks all the same. I'm not one of the dillusional, sexless, kids in the 'Cantankerous fanclub'.

acousticrock87 07.17.2006 01:25 AM

Quote:

So, that makes NWA influential because they influenced a 1,000,000 people to pick up a microphone and wax lyrical, right?

I would consider the pioneers of rap to be some of the most influential people in the world right now. Which is why I think Run DMC should be way higher up there.

Cantankerous 07.17.2006 01:25 AM

Quote:

We're talking about whether Nirvana's Nevermind (which you said you hate) should be in that list or not. Your distaste for that record makes you believe they didn't didnt change music. Get it now?

quit making shit up. i dare you to find anywhere where i even implied that. THE ALBUM CHANGED MUSIC. THAT DOESN'T MAKE ME HATE IT ANY LESS. GET IT?

Daddylikes 07.17.2006 01:25 AM

Also, I'd like a list of which modern bands Nirvana influenced to learn how to play a musical instrument?

I think musical influences should be noted by their influence in HOW someone plays a musical instrument, not their motivation to actually learn an instrument. If Kiss influenced me to learn guitar, but I found I liked Trey Anastasio's style of guitar more influential to my style, I'd say that Trey Anastasio was more influencial to me as a guitarist than Kiss.

Cantankerous 07.17.2006 01:28 AM

oh, PS

eat me.

krastian 07.17.2006 01:28 AM

Atari prob. just posted this list to get everyone fired up like these lists always do. He needs to come up here and break me off a piece:p

Cantankerous 07.17.2006 01:29 AM

of that hash bar. PLEASE.

m^a(t)h 07.17.2006 01:30 AM

Quote:

Also, I'd like a list of which modern bands Nirvana influenced to learn how to play a musical instrument?

because that would be interesting and noteworthy......

go out and meet a girl

Norma J 07.17.2006 01:30 AM

Quote:

so you are rejecting the idea that they are referring to mainstream musical artists? did you read there reasons why?

Now again, when did I say that?

And again, people shoulnd't let personal tastes cloud their judgement. But let's work on your theory (not to say that it is not mine either) for here: The Vines - mainstream - Nirvana cover band. Bush: Mainstream - Nirvana cover band.

Nirvana have influenced both the mainstream and the 'underground' if thats what you want to call it.

finding nobody 07.17.2006 01:30 AM

CLICK HERE TO SEE RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE NAAAAAAKED
(no joke)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...aloozaratm.jpg

acousticrock87 07.17.2006 01:32 AM

Quote:

I think musical influences should be noted by their influence in HOW someone plays a musical instrument, not their motivation to actually learn an instrument. If Kiss influenced me to learn guitar, but I found I liked Trey Anastasio's style of guitar more influential to my style, I'd say that Trey Anastasio was more influencial to me as a guitarist than Kiss.

I understand what you're saying. But I look at it more in terms of how Nirvana affected the industry. It's like the Spice Girls thing - they changed the target audience. Even if none of the bands that started because of Nirvana went anywhere, they definitely affected what labels looked for. Like, I would consider Tarantino to be incredibly influential. He's hardly original, since all of his style is directly and blatantly from Kurosawa and the like, but Tarantino took the next step by actually taking it to American pop culture and influencing average people with things that weren't even his.

Cantankerous 07.17.2006 01:32 AM

Quote:

Now again, when did I say that?

And again, people shoulnd't let personal tastes cloud their judgement. But let's work on your theory (not to say that it is not mine either) for here: The Vines - mainstream - Nirvana cover band. Bush: Mainstream - Nirvana cover band.

Nirvana have influenced both the mainstream and the 'underground' if thats what you want to call it.

oh what the fuck ever. no one is going to agree with you at this point.

m^a(t)h 07.17.2006 01:33 AM

Quote:

The Vines - mainstream - Nirvana cover band. Bush: Mainstream - Nirvana cover band.

shit, put them on the top of the list then...

krastian 07.17.2006 01:34 AM

Quote:

of that hash bar. PLEASE.

Hey that'll work.....I don't need much of either really at this point to send me over the edge.

Daddylikes 07.17.2006 01:36 AM

Bush sounds a lot more like Pearl Jam, than they do Nirvana to be fair.

I don't know enough about the vines to say.

Nirvana's influence is vastly overrated. (and math, I know many females.)

Norma J 07.17.2006 01:36 AM

Quote:

quit making shit up. i dare you to find anywhere where i even implied that. THE ALBUM CHANGED MUSIC. THAT DOESN'T MAKE ME HATE IT ANY LESS. GET IT?

You still don't get it. Where in my opening post in this thread, did I say that I said you hate Nirvana? I said: "Don't let your personal taste cloud your judgement". You don't like Nevermind (clearly), therefore you think it didn't change music and not worthy of being within the list.

Norma J 07.17.2006 01:38 AM

Quote:

oh what the fuck ever. no one is going to agree with you at this point.

You're not the mass.

Norma J 07.17.2006 01:39 AM

Quote:

shit, put them on the top of the list then...

HAHA. And when did I say Nirvana should be at the top of the list?

All I did was prove that they influenced both 'garage bands' and 'mainstream bands'.

Cantankerous 07.17.2006 01:41 AM

Quote:

You still don't get it. Where in my opening post in this thread, did I say that I said you hate Nirvana? I said: "Don't let your personal taste cloud your judgement". You don't like Nevermind (clearly), therefore you think it didn't change music and not worthy of being within the list.

can you fucking read?

don't tell me what i fucking think, you dumb son of a bitch.

Norma J 07.17.2006 01:41 AM

Quote:

Bush sounds a lot more like Pearl Jam, than they do Nirvana to be fair

That Gavin guy from Bush has said his favourite artist of all time is Kurt Cobain. HAHA, he tries to look like him, not to mention sound like him.

Cantankerous 07.17.2006 01:42 AM

he fucked courtney love too.

krastian 07.17.2006 01:44 AM

Quote:

he fucked courtney love too.

Did he? Didn't know that one......either way Bush has always sucked in my book.

Cantankerous 07.17.2006 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krastian
Did he?

yes.

Norma J 07.17.2006 01:45 AM

Quote:

can you fucking read?

don't tell me what i fucking think, you dumb son of a bitch.

Calm down. Once you let your anger get the better of you and you resort to name calling, thats when you know to throw the towl in, 'cause you're pretty much done for. Also, degrading someones intelligence in an argument is generally scraping the bottom of the barrel, so to speak.

HAHA, and no, if I hadn't been paying attention this whole time, then no I wouldn't be able to read what you just pasted, as it's all blurry and shit.

Cantankerous 07.17.2006 01:46 AM

Quote:

Calm down. Once you let your anger get the better of you and you resort to name calling, thats when you know to throw the towl in, 'cause you're pretty much done for. Also, degrading someones intelligence in an argument is generally scraping the bottom of the barrel, so to speak.

HAHA, and no, if I hadn't been paying attention this whole time, then no I wouldn't be able to read what you just pasted, as it's all blurry and shit.

CLICK TO ENLARGE TO ORIGINAL SIZE.

Norma J 07.17.2006 01:49 AM

Waste of time as I have already said I get the gist, girl.

finding nobody 07.17.2006 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finding nobody
CLICK HERE TO SEE RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE NAAAAAAKED
(no joke)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...aloozaratm.jpg

in case you missed it.

Cantankerous 07.17.2006 01:52 AM

Quote:

Waste of time as I have already said I get the gist, girl.

That you misquoted me?
I never said Nevermind didn't change music. It did. It paved the way for a lot of copycat bands like Pearl Jam and Silverchair and Bush. THAT DOES NOT MEAN I THINK IT IS A GOOD ALBUM, BUT IT DOES BELONG ON THE LIST FOR ONE REASON ONLY: IT CHANGED MUSIC.

krastian 07.17.2006 01:52 AM

Chew your meat for you
Pass it back and forth
In a passionate kiss
From my mouth to yours.
'cause I like you.

acousticrock87 07.17.2006 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finding nobody
in case you missed it.

Fuck I seriously thought it was a joke. Why?!

krastian 07.17.2006 01:53 AM

Quote:

That you misquoted me?
I never said Nevermind didn't change music. It did. It paved the way for a lot of copycat bands like Pearl Jam and Silverchair and Bush. THAT DOES NOT MEAN I THINK IT IS A GOOD ALBUM, BUT IT DOES BELONG ON THE LIST FOR ONE REASON ONLY: IT CHANGED MUSIC.

Yeah but PJ didn't "copycat" Nirvana....honest. Two completely different beasts.