Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

GeneticKiss 09.11.2009 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
mallrats SUCKED ASS.

I much more enjoyed Dogma, maybe because I study a lot of cathechism and catholic bullshit.

WHAT?! Mallrats was Kevin Smith's masterpiece. Dogma was okay, but also kinda ruined by the shit monster sequence and Alanis Morrisette. Clerks was good too, but Mallrats...classic 90s right there...

atsonicpark 09.12.2009 06:48 AM

Jigoku rules. Horrifying.

noisereductions 09.12.2009 09:22 AM

Yeah the shit monster pushed me over the edge.

Mallrats/Chasing Amy rules.

TheFoxBen 09.12.2009 09:28 AM

I like every Kevin Smith movie. Even Jersey Girl. And I think Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back is awesome.

chicka 09.12.2009 09:55 AM

I've enjoyed all of his films. Probably Clerks the best

the big quasar 09.12.2009 10:33 AM

Taxi Driver

Dr. Eugene Felikson 09.12.2009 12:49 PM

Clerks is godly.
Mallrats rules.
Chasing Amy is great.
Dogma is also great.
J + SB Strike Back sucks.
I've never seen Jersey Girl, but I'm assuming it does too.
Clerks 2 is a worthy sequel.
Zak and Miri is hilarious.

viewtiful_alan 09.12.2009 01:55 PM

Undubbed

6.5/10
A very very dissapointing rewatch. I had much fonder memories of this movie that turned out to be a bit unfounded. They tried to cram way too complicated a plot into way too short an amount of time, which not only led to confusion during the movie, but a sort of indifference at the end. The animation is fantastic., but most of the other elements dissapointed me.

TheFoxBen 09.12.2009 02:17 PM

8/10. Jarmusch is really a great director and this is the third time I watch this and I think I love it more, just great dialogues and some surreal situations. Watch it.

GeneticKiss 09.12.2009 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viewtiful_alan
Undubbed

6.5/10
A very very dissapointing rewatch. I had much fonder memories of this movie that turned out to be a bit unfounded. They tried to cram way too complicated a plot into way too short an amount of time, which not only led to confusion during the movie, but a sort of indifference at the end. The animation is fantastic., but most of the other elements dissapointed me.

Have you read the manga? They actually left a lot of stuff out.

noisereductions 09.12.2009 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheFoxBen

8/10. Jarmusch is really a great director and this is the third time I watch this and I think I love it more, just great dialogues and some surreal situations. Watch it.

I mostly thought this was a letdown. The the line "that tastes like black peppa" was hilarious to me. I don't know.

viewtiful_alan 09.12.2009 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeneticKiss
Have you read the manga? They actually left a lot of stuff out.

No I haven't, but that's what I assumed. Whatever they left out, it made it seem horribly disjointed and random. Which, in my mind, is a failed adaptation. I gave it the score I did mostly for the great animation, music, and action sequences. Other than that...

atsonicpark 09.12.2009 07:54 PM

Ghost in the Shell rules, classic.

Coffee and Cigarettes... well, if I have nothing nice to say, I better not say anything at all!

GeneticKiss 09.12.2009 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viewtiful_alan
No I haven't, but that's what I assumed. Whatever they left out, it made it seem horribly disjointed and random. Which, in my mind, is a failed adaptation. I gave it the score I did mostly for the great animation, music, and action sequences. Other than that...

Well, the manga was very episodal in its presentation/flow. The anime movie isolates the themes running throughout each chapter and sequences from various parts of the manga (the Major killing the guy at the beginning; the puppet master in the female android's body; the armored tank sequence) and threw them into a plot that was largely original.

Really, there was too much going on in the manga for a condensed version of the story to work as well. I liked the anime movie, but Stand Alone Complex is a better medium for Ghost in the Shell because having a whole series gives the story more breathing room.

jerf 09.12.2009 09:01 PM

Being an American without health insurance, this movie makes me want to hide under my bed so as to never get sick or break any bones or catch cancer from puppies.

Sonic Youth 37 09.12.2009 09:41 PM

stu666 09.13.2009 03:34 PM

Aaaadrpk 09.13.2009 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheFoxBen

it's a really good movie... great iggy, but the last is the better *_*

tw2113 09.13.2009 04:11 PM

Iron Will

Torn Curtain 09.13.2009 05:26 PM

Coffee and cigarettes is meh apart from a few bits.