Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   post comething completely irrelevant! (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=6857)

Rob Instigator 09.05.2008 09:54 AM

rumor willis, totally irrelevant

Cantankerous 09.05.2008 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MellySingsDoom
Byesie bye - have a wickied time!

I was impressed with the micheal angel show
Perry ellis starts in 10 mins but idk if I wanna sit through that...Marc Jacobs got fired from perry ellsi for his grunge collection (you've seen it, in the sugar kane vid with chloe sevigny)
iPhone ftw

nicfit 09.05.2008 09:57 AM

potato head for life.
willis, that she is.

Cantankerous 09.05.2008 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
rumor willis, totally irrelevant

I saw her on the street once...hideous beast she is

Danny Himself 09.05.2008 10:03 AM

floatingslowly 09.05.2008 10:06 AM

Large Hardon Collider
if the balls touch, we all die.

Cantankerous 09.05.2008 10:09 AM

http://www.survive2012.com/

Danny Himself 09.05.2008 10:10 AM

Danny Himself 09.05.2008 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantankerous

The Maya's never predicted anything concrete about 2012. That may have something to do with our ill knowledge about Maya culture: when the Spanish ransacked the land, they burnt literally every Maya book they could find. Only a handful of scriptures survived. And in them, there's not a clue about what happens when the Maya calendar ends.

Cantankerous 09.05.2008 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny Himself
The Maya's never predicted anything concrete about 2012. That may have something to do with our ill knowledge about Maya culture: when the Spanish ransacked the land, they burnt literally every Maya book they could find. Only a handful of scriptures survived. And in them, there's not a clue about what happens when the Maya calendar ends.

I know all about it
I don't buy into any of that shit personally...and if the world ends I could really care less...I'll believe it when I see it.

MellySingsDoom 09.05.2008 10:17 AM

William Burroughs was fascinated with the Mayans - it was one of his research "tools" which later sunk into his writings, esp. "The Wild Boys".

al shabbray 09.05.2008 10:25 AM

it sucks that almost all burroughs titles except junkie, naked lunch, ghost of chance in germany arent printed anymore, I had to pay a shitload of money for reading his older stuff and still got not all books of him. wild boys is one of them too. I wonder why he isnt that supported in germany at least germany is the country of thinkers and writers, oh hooo

edit: http://cgi.ebay.de/William-S-Burroug...p3286.c0.m 14

wonder how high this auction will go in germany...

floatingslowly 09.05.2008 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny Himself
The Maya's never predicted anything concrete about 2012.

actually they did. so very concrete that they set it in stone.

12:00 12.21.12 begins the 13th Baktun (the last cycle of The Long Count) and marks the celestial reunion of the father (the sun) and mother of all creation (the darkened band at the center of the Milky Way is her vagina). at the very moment of solstice on this date, the sun will superocclude the galactic center directly above Chichen Itza.

what happens after that is anybody's guess though...the Mayans believed it would change everything. then again, they also thought that Cortez was Quetzalcoatl returned triumphant.

Cantankerous 09.05.2008 10:34 AM

Burroughs is a bit boring anyway...
I'm going to get impaled for that one.

Danny Himself 09.05.2008 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floatingslowly
actually they did. so very concrete that they set it in stone.

12:00 12.21.12 begins the 13th Baktun and marks the celestial reunion of the father (the sun) and mother of all creation (the darkened band at the center of the Milky Way is her vagina). at the very moment of solstice on this date, the sun will superocclude the galactic center directly above Chichen Itza.

what happens after that is anybody's guess though...

Of course they were the greatest astrologers and I'm not denying that will happen, but I mean the Mayans never wrote 'dudes after that, the world ends'.

al shabbray 09.05.2008 10:36 AM

Quote:

its a matter of taste, after all hes my favourite writer. but it can be very stressful to read some of his more experimental books when you are not in the mood for it.

StevOK 09.05.2008 10:36 AM

My dad mentioned this morning that he thinks that 2012 is just the end of the cycle, that the Mayans may have believed time was cyclical, had a regular cycle and the calendar could be read from the beginning again. My dad told me that our modern calendars cycle exactly 28 years. If you were to pull out a calendar from 1980, all of the days and moon cycles would be the same as a 2008 calendar.

Rob Instigator 09.05.2008 10:36 AM

Quote:

burroughs is indeed boring. his books are dull.
BORING

✌➬ 09.05.2008 10:37 AM

I called out sick, yay.

Rob Instigator 09.05.2008 10:38 AM

the Mayans were dealing with astronomical cycles.

not predicting the end of the world. their calendar went to the end of their then- current cycle.